Re: Moderator Elections

Prove it 
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Hmmmm let me see......archive.org I think Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

I will allow the honesty of a forum moderator shine forth and admit it  Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Lurker
Grafter

[me=James_G]wonders if he should stand... ;D[/me]
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

You should, there was a mod called James_H once so that'd be a nice succession. Not sure what happened to him though  Roll_eyes Cheesy
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Lurker
Grafter

I dunno - but he did used to get loads of grief for not being 'elected'.
ie, When Dan [Assos] and I were elected there were two vacancies and only two candidates, so nobody got to vote us in. Funny how it was always me who was reminded that I hadn't been properly elected, perhaps I ought to go and give Dan a load of agro about it now...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Perhaps if the number of candidates is the same (or fewer) than the number of posts there should still be a poll run to confirm the appointment(s).
There are now over 10,000 members of these forums and so far in January 7800 posts have been made.  I do wonder if how few moderators there are to handle such active forums is also putting other people off putting their names forward. If by putting my name forward I was going to become say the 12th moderator I would be giving it serious consideration. As it stands there are often periods when I barely keep up with what's being posted, let alone read them and certainly no time to undertake moderators duties. As it stands, as one of six, it wouldn't be fair on the fellow moderators to be out of the picture for lengthy periods so I'm not even thinking about it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lurker
Grafter

Back in the days when I was a moderator, we did start to put in place a structure which would hopefully encourage folks like you to stand, indeed it was one of the drivers behind the re-organisation of the forum layout.
The idea was that you could take on the role of moderator for a smaller subset of boards, and not feel like you were taking on a huge thankless task - you could instead just moderate the boards for which you had an interest in.
(I know you and I discussed this previously jelv)
So, the idea was that the current moderators would remain as full moderators, responsible for the whole boards, with a larger number of moderators each looking after smaller numbers of (or even individual) boards.
New moderators would always start out with moderating small section during their trial period, with the option to volunteer to take on more boards as they saw fit.
All the boards would still be moderated under the same rules, but there would be the opportunity for people passionate about a specific thing to moderate that board (I know that in a literal sense its better for moderators to be dispassionate about the topic of discussion, but when it comes to voluntary moderation, there does need to be something to at as motivation.)
An example of this might be for somebody like Jelv to take on responsibility for moderating the 'Bugs/Suggestions/Likes/Dislikes' aspects of the forums - he likes methodical processes, and has excellent presentation and analytical skills.
Neither of which are essential for a moderator, but both of which would be desirable for a moderator for a specific section which needs more attention than it often gets.
The main hope was that by splitting down the boards into more manageable 'chunks', the role might seem less arduous, and therefore more appealing to people.
I don't see any mention of this approach now though, so maybe they decided it was a bad idea after all...
James
Grafter

James - I'm absolutely certain that your idea hasn't be disregarded and I still believe that it's valid as I'm sure that the other moderators do.
The problem is that with only VERY limited applicants, it's not possible to have enough moderators on board to manage specific forums to do the roles that you're suggesting.
So, for our avid readers, nominate yourselves and we can then have a realistic opportunity to do as has been suggested.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From my limited experience up to now I don't think that is necessary given the relatively few actions I have needed to take since becoming a mod. Note due to other commitments there have been periods where I have been the only mod on duty as it were so it isn't the case that the other mods were doing all the work.
The real point is that a moderator can be as active or laid back as they feel appropriate given their other commitments.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: adiewoo
I will allow the honesty of a forum moderator shine forth and admit it  Wink
That is a totally unfair tactic - yes I admit it  Embarrassed