Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration advice

techguy
Grafter

Migration advice

Hi
My connection is due to go live tomorrow.
When I have moved provider before I generally terminate my session with the provider I am leaving the night bfore before I go to bed, put in the new details and click connect so that the router can log in as soon as the migration is complete.
Anyone see any problem with this strategy?
7 REPLIES 7
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Migration advice

You may be off air longer than you need to be.
I was logged in using my BT Broadband connection and working happily when Plusnet rang me about delivery of my new router. "so you went across this morning.." they said. "Did I? I am still connected to BT" I replied. I changed the router connection details reconnected and I was with Plusnet. Less than 10 minutes down time.
Why not continue using your old ISP until it stops working THEN change your settings to Plusnet?
techguy
Grafter

I'm off tomorrow and tend to sleep in until around 12ish so thats why I intend to do it.
Cheers for the advice.
imroberts
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
Why not continue using your old ISP until it stops working THEN change your settings to Plusnet?

That's the approach most people take.
Make sure you have a note of your new login details though so you don't find yourself with no connection all of a sudden (also the approach most people take  ;D)
It's not going to cause any "harm" either way though.
itsme
Grafter

When I migrated I was working away and my connection dropped but I could not put my new details in as the email from Plusnet with these details was sent out about an hour later.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I had my configuration email from PN several days before I migrated, and I was worked uway on the old ISP until it stopped working.
Just put id and password into router, and I was back online with PN in a matter of minutes.
techguy
Grafter

Just to update this thread
After a bit of a bumpy start thanks to bit of wayward router firmware, I'm now happily surfing away on Plusnet and am glad I made the switch.  Smiley
Mark
Grafter

Nice one.
Welcome aboard Mitch Smiley