cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to Sky from Plusnet LLU?

arreak

Migrating to Sky from Plusnet LLU?

I'm planning on moving to Sky's broadband from Plusnet.  I haven't signed up with Sky yet, as I haven't been able to phone Plusnet to get my MAC code (bank holidays!)
What I wanted to ask is if I'm on a LLU connection?  I done a few searches and I've read that there might be some issues migrating to Sky if you're on a LLU provider, although the threads I could find were from a couple of years ago.  I don't know if this problem is still about?  Can anyone explain the current situation to me?
I really don't want to have to completely cancel my broadband line and then wait to get a whole new connection with sky, it sounds like a real pain the rear! lol
5 REPLIES 5
markrach
Grafter

Re: Migrating to Sky from Plusnet LLU?

If your ISP is Plusnet then you are on BT Ipstream so you are not on LLU (Local Loop Unbundleing) So migraiting to Sky would not be a problem . But why ? i was with sky for 6 days before moving to PN , very poor CS , connection always choked even on LLU and their routers are rubbish , i was sent a DG834V2 and it couldn't gold a sync at 2mb , and of you do not sync @ 8mb they will put you on G.DMT even on their max product . And they as i see from DMT tool when i was with them thay said ADSL2+ was G.992.3
Mark
pierre_pierre
Grafter

markrach
Grafter

Stand corrected , but there should be no issue in moving over to the BT ipstream , i did and it took 5 days from date of order to activation
itsme
Grafter

You can find out whether you are on Tiscali LLU or on BT IPstream by checking your gateway http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway use the link to find out. If you are on thn-ag2 then you are on a LLU platform if not you are still on the BT platform.
arreak

As I suspected I am on LLU.  I contacted Sky and they do now accept LLU MAC codes, so I guess I shouldn't have a problem migrating.
@markrach, I'm moving because I'm getting Sky+ HD, and decided to get the whole package - tv, broadband and landline line rental.  In terms of Sky's connections, my neighbor is with Sky broadband and is very happy with it, as are quite a few people I know.  I'm going for Sky Max package, it's up to 16mb with unlimited usage for £10 a month, now that verses what I have with Plusnet, £21 for 15GB peak time usage, which I find I'm using up come the middle of the month.  Overall it works out to be cheaper to have internet and line rental with sky, than having Plusnet and BT.