cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

Before buying, try your local library. I find technical books very much a personal choice, and not cheap.
Also if your local library does not stock many Linux books they will order them in for a small charge (about £2.50)
Santiago
Grafter

The library is a good idea I will do that. I had a look on Amazon and they have  Linux for Dummies. Think I might start with that!
chillypenguin
Grafter

My advice is to get it from the library first, it will give you the chance to make sure that it is at the right level, and you like the writing style. (Personally I don't like Dummies)
Santiago
Grafter

Ok, there is no need to get personal!  Crazy
artificer
Grafter

if you happen to install pclinuxos, you will find 'rute', 'the beginner's guide to linux' in the repository.  other linuxes might carry it in their repos too.  if not, google rute and there is an online html version, usually more up to date.
i'm currently reading this:
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html
which is more of a history of linux.
there's an enormous amount published on the web to give you an idea of the flavour of book you'd prefer.  the o'reilly and the prentice series are also good.
hootiegibbon
Grafter

Books wise I would wholeheartedly recommend 'Linux in a nutshell'. its more of a reference piece, but does list many of the Linux man-pages fo the cli, has good sections about package management, covers bash commands, has a lesson in grep,and still covers emacs, vi,sed and gawk. in its 925pages
Jase
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi folks!
I have been following this thread (these threads?) ever since planting the acorn which seems to have grown into a tree by now. I note elsewhere that the intro of a suggestions forum might be undertaken. So many of the little sub-forums here have been little branches which have stopped sprouting, usually because the topic has been explored and problems solved. i do wonder if a more structured group of fora might be the better way to simplify searching for help. At over 300 replies it is now a bit of a chore to see if a problem has been aired weeks ago and the answer either forgotten or just missed.
My own progress is that I have a working 8.04 on its own on the laptop (Pent III 866MHz 30GB HD 250 MB RAM) with only the shut-down problem which seems to be common to elderly kit and a failure to have some program lines requiring modification like adding acpi=force to them. The Ubuntu Absolute Beginner forum (just my cup of tea) have produced an array of cures but nothing that has worked so far.
I am also trying to get my priners (HP845C & Canon i905D) to behave. Although they are recognised by the OS, the drivers that have been loaded by default are not OK. When printing a Test Page the HP produces a lot of single line assortments of letters and symbols on pages until switched off. The Canon brings up a CUPS error message on the screen. I see mention of ndiswrapper(s) which seem to allow the use of MS applications, would this allow the original MS drivers to be used instead of the generics in the the new setup?
Words of wisdom please!
Colintivy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

For your HP Deskjet have a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5307399
I've always steered clear of ndiswrapper - but it should solve your driver problem.
Let me know if ndiswrapper is OK - I need it if I want WPA encryption on my wireless network.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Axisofevil!
HP845 advice on quoted ubuntu forum exactly what was needed. Searching on the latter before never flashed up a thread. Good job you have a good memory. And now on with Canon. Trying to go along a parallel path showed that the model is not listed for alternative drivers so could not complete the set. HP 470 does behave properly.
Thanks a bundle. Grin Cheesy
colitivy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It wasn't memory - too old for that  Sad
Just that ubuntu forum is often a good place to look at, and the presence of a recent post - followed by a solution is a good guide.  Smiley
As far as your Canon printer goes, I know it involves money but there is a commercial product - around 30 euros which includes many Canon drivers. You can try it for free from http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turboprint.phtml.
The free version prints spoilers on your output.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: colintivy
I note elsewhere that the intro of a suggestions forum might be undertaken. So many of the little sub-forums here have been little branches which have stopped sprouting, usually because the topic has been explored and problems solved. i do wonder if a more structured group of fora might be the better way to simplify searching for help. At over 300 replies it is now a bit of a chore to see if a problem has been aired weeks ago and the answer either forgotten or just missed.

I have also suggested that PlusNet start another forum (or set of forums) for Linux (or for all different OS) problems.  Wait to hear on this.
Quote from: colintivy
The Canon brings up a CUPS error message on the screen. I see mention of ndiswrapper(s) which seem to allow the use of MS applications, would this allow the original MS drivers to be used instead of the generics in the the new setup?
Words of wisdom please!
Colintivy

I think that you mean ddwrappers?  ndiswrappers are I believe used for WiFi drivers only.
I have posted a response to your thread in the Ubuntu forum.  Some people have reported success with the BJC-7000 model with the Gutenprint CUPS driver (expert).  However, you may want to consider selling your Canon in ebay or wherever and buying a printer that has better support in Linux.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: MickKi
I have also suggested that PlusNet start another forum (or set of forums) for Linux (or for all different OS) problems.  Wait to hear on this.

The moderators have been discussing this since February, see/comment on the proposed layout here
MickKi
Grafter

Thanks, I saw that but I am not sure how long before changes are introduced.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi MickKi
Yes I did mean ddwrapper, you are quite right about ndiswrapper.. Google revealed the origin of the name. I will look into the use of it when time permits. Cheesy
Hi Axis
The source of drivers you referred to is very good, it covers i905D (amongst a raft of others including my HP845C). I presume that there is a method of introducing a driver from them to the config panel to incorporate it for the printer.
The CUPS Gutenprint for the 845 gives a very impressive Test Print. I tried the similar one for a slightly earlier Canon which was listed in the cnfig panel, this did work on the i905D except that the x axis was slightly compressed. I do not know who generates the options in this panel but it seems that it could be possible to include my model on the list and solve the problem. As far as the original HP problem there would seem to some mileage in the Ubuntu team looking at the system looking at the hardware and seeing "Hewlet Packard"  when it should have realized that the rest of the feature need HP! Any update likely?

colin Cheesy Cheesy
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi folks, its me again.
Still exploring lack of full shutdown problem. Ubuntu fora somewhat confusing, also despite much concern over this or similar problems quoted solutions either do not work here or cannot be applied because of my system failing to recognize some commands. What I have spotted is a very brief comment on the display during booting "acpi =force required". Some the solutions indicate that editing some of the kernal lines to add this would be effective but using their code I get the error message "command not recognized". Must doing something wrong. Greg T #13 (Ubuntu General forum) recommends cutting and pasting "Shutdown via gdm" out of and back into Halt Command entry. A bit weird. The general feeling I get is that 8 04 has this problem which has been about before and has now reappeared. Others have found additional queer activities. Can I be unconfused please?  Crazy
Printer problems more or less solved but might have a go at the relevant ones quoted earlier. Web site been visited. Thanks.  Cheesy