cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

artificer
Grafter

Re: Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

good to see you too jase.  ain't it fun here?
MickKi
Grafter

Some people have strong feelings about how many partitions a Linux OS should be installed in,  Shocked  so take my suggestions with a pinch of salt.
The days when you needed a swap partition twice as much as your ram are probably over for most hardware these days.  With 128M of RAM you don't have enough to run a modern Linux OS with GUI - in those circumstances you would need a swap of 256M to just get you off the ground.  These days the Linux kernel has matured, there's more GUI demands on resources, but on the other hand people are not counting the size of RAM in kB, but in GB!  If you have a Linux OS installed keep an eye on your swap usage (run top or free in a console) and you'll see that hardly ever will you exceed say 350kB and more often than not you'll be pushed to use more than 50kB.  In that sense, swap can be seen as a waste of hard disk space.  Many installations that have available to them more than 1G of RAM can be performed without a swap partition. 
However, as it has already been said, if you are running a laptop then you need a swap partition at least as large as your RAM to be able to suspend to disk.  So, with RAM of 2G you'll need say 2.2G (leaving some margin for safety) to be able to suspend to disk.
With regards to /home being on a separate partition, I would recommend that just like My Documents or equivalent folders in a MSWindows machine, a new partition is created just for this purpose.  Ditto for data, music, videos and what have you.  If your OS is corrupted and it needs a reinstall, your home or data partitions can stay exactly where they are without having their content affected, or threatened with deletion.
Other directories, e.g. /opt, /var, /usr, etc. can also be on separate partitions and some of them would benefit being installed on a different disk/different IDE or SATA controller to allow parallel access/read/write.  Yes, all this will increase speed and resilience on a server, but is it worth the hassle whatsoever for a desktop machine?  Well, my humble view is that it is not.  We're talking about milliseconds if not nanoseconds of difference here under particular OS conditions.  The only system that I was able to notice a difference was an old PIII 600MHz box with 256M memory on it.  So, these days I wouldn't bother.  10-15G for a modern Linux OS / partition is more than enough (I would say it is almost excessive - I've run Linux on less than 5G) and you could have everything in there except for /home, perhaps /opt (if you intend to install loads of games) and swap.
To see how much space your Linux is currently using up try df -h to check the partitions, and for the size of individual fs try du -s -h /*, or /home, /var, etc depending which directory you want to check.  Then you'll know how much space your current install needs.
BTW, if you use LVM which I strongly recommend, then you can add space from additional hard disks on the fly and resize it at will.
PS.  You'll find that reiserfs3 is live & kicking and its development continues.  I definitely prefer it compared to other fs and have recovered from the most horrible crashes without loss of data - ever!
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jeremy & Mick,
I have been giving the shutdown (lack) an airing on Ubuntu A. B. forum which you may have seen. Respondents have come up with a comprehensive and satisfactory fix that does not involve fiddling with the BIOS, to my relief! Anyway thanks for your interest and advice.
No doubt i will be back if more is needed.
colintivy  Cheesy Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: MickKi
PS.  You'll find that reiserfs3 is live & kicking and its development continues.  I definitely prefer it compared to other fs and have recovered from the most horrible crashes without loss of data - ever!

BTW
Hans Thomas Reiser (born December 19, 1963) is an American computer programmer, the owner of Namesys, and the primary developer of the ReiserFS and Reiser4 computer filesystems. On April 28, 2008, he was convicted of the first degree murder of his wife, Nina Reiser, who disappeared in 2006....

His Wikipedia entry is very interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Santiago
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the the time you guys give  us on this.
I have a good idea what to try now.  However it it is Friday night, I have had a couple of beers and I did read on one of the forums that alcohol and Linux partioning do not mix well. So I will not do it tonight but will have a go at the weekend.
Cheesy
MickKi
Grafter

axisofevil, it is well known that Reiser (the brains behind reiserfs) is out of circulation for a while.  However, development of his fs and in particular reiser4 is continuing, albeit at a slower speed. 
http://lwn.net/Articles/280228/
I've read somewhere else though that reiserfs3 will only continue on maintenance mode (only bug fixes, no development of features).
In absence of his abrasive personality, more progress may be achieved now and who knows it may even make it into the Linux kernel.
Meanwhile, ext4 is awaited . . .
waldron
Grafter

This thread started off "I am seriously considering fleeing Microsoft in favour of Linux" - something I have been considering seriously myself.
The early replies sounded encouraging, and not too difficult a project. However, having read all the difficulties mentioned in recent posts, especially one where the contributor admitted having reinstalled around 100 times before he got it right, I find the prospect somewhat daunting. The simplicity of Windows installation seems more appealing.
MickKi
Grafter

Sure!  Like the simplicity of wanting your SATA drives or controller recognised by the WinXP installation CD - errrm . . .  hold on!  It doesn't contain any SATA drivers and it may not even contain the driver you need for your ethernet adapter and . . .
In the above example you would get all these required drivers to the WinXP installation environment by means of a floppy or USB stick and carry on with the installation - right?  For some this may prove daunting enough to opt for buying a new PC.
The average installation of a modern Linux distribution ought to be simpler and quicker than that of a WinXP OS.  Now, sometimes there are old BIOS that have not had their firware updated for yonks and/or the latest exotica in hardware that might cause a minor hickup, but that should be the exception.  You won't know how easy it may be for you until you try.
Ask here if you get stuck, or check out the forums and Mailing Lists in the distribution you have chosen.
paulh
Rising Star

[quote="MickKi"]The average installation of a modern Linux distribution ought to be simpler and quicker than that of a WinXP OS
It takes me about 10-15 minutes to do a full hard disk install of Puppy, and that includes creating partitions if necessary and formatting them, and setting up basic things like networking, a firewall, keyboard layout & timezone. At that point I have a ready-to-go desktop system that can do all the basic things -- internet, document processing and so on.
I recently reinstalled XP from scratch on my lappy and updated it to SP3. I also had to uninstall all the unwanted software that comes with the default system, and reinstall all my preferred software. It took me (and I'm an experienced and very competent user) the best part of a day, on and off, to get to the same point.
The trouble is, XP is just easier on my eyes than most if not all Linux distros, basically because of the more sophisticated (proprietary) rendering of the screen fonts. A few hours spent in front of X windows leaves me squinting, which is why it remains my "second OS" rather than primary
paul
waldron
Grafter

The average installation of a modern Linux distribution ought to be simpler and quicker than that of a WinXP OS. 

You won't know how easy it may be for you until you try.

I did try with Ubuntu Gutsy. Spent days trying to get my USB wifi card working (router is too far away for ethernet) and eventually managed it with help from people on here. I never did get my eSata drive working. My upgrade to Hardy failed during the installation and left me with an unbootable system, so I gave up.
Since then I have installed Vista. Admittedly it seemed to take an age to instal, but everything worked OK first time without having to "play around".
I would dearly like to get away from Microsoft. But I don't want to fiddle around with command lines and gedits etc, just to get a working system.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Did you try a live install CD of Ubuntu before going for a full install?
If it didn't boot into a (slow) but working system (including networking) then
you would know that you should expect problems.
I have installed Ubuntu on 3 machines - they all worked and have never needed a second install.
The PC I'm writing this on was upgraded from Dapper -> Edgy -> Feisty -> Gutsy -> Hardy
There were no failures.
The other 2 PC's were just Dapper -> Hardy upgrades.
All installs/upgrades only required one re-boot  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: paulh
The trouble is, XP is just easier on my eyes than most if not all Linux distros, basically because of the more sophisticated (proprietary) rendering of the screen fonts. A few hours spent in front of X windows leaves me squinting, which is why it remains my "second OS" rather than primary

Paul, you need to enable anti-ailiasing for your desktop environment (KDE or Gnome).  What you're describing is a matter of configuration rather than OS related.
HTH.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: waldron
I did try with Ubuntu Gutsy. Spent days trying to get my USB wifi card working (router is too far away for ethernet) and eventually managed it with help from people on here. I never did get my eSata drive working. My upgrade to Hardy failed during the installation and left me with an unbootable system, so I gave up.

Perhaps the current version of Ubuntu is not suitable for your hardware.  Like axisofevil suggests, I would also strongly recommend to try another LiveCD distribution (CentOS, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Debian, etc) to see which one recognises your hardware with minimum configuration.
Upgrades should be seamless on a Linux distro these days.  Despite that, just like you, I managed to trash a Ubuntu server a couple of years ago - never liked the darn thing anyway.  Then I decided to read the upgrade guide which Ubuntu kindly provided (after a number of people complained that they had borked their systems).  The upgrade path was rather <aheam> customised pertinent to the Ubuntu peculiarities, compared to your vanilla Debian based Linux distro.  Well, since then I always read the instructions first . . .  Wink
paulh
Rising Star

[quote="MickKi"]enable anti-ailiasing for your desktop environment (KDE or Gnome). Except my preferred distro is Puppy which uses JWM. It can use Gnome or KDE but they are 300-400MB on top of the base OS whereas the basic Puppy (including JWM and a good suite of apps) comes in at about 90MB  ... plus I hate KDE (love Gnome though) ... font rendering can be improved in JWM but it's a piece of work to do so. Loads of people are using it perfectly happily though so maybe I'm just being picky
MickKi
Grafter

No probs:  JWM uses anti-aliasing.  It should be turned on by default.  If not check that you have Xft installed and that .jwmrc contains something like:
antialias   true
You could also specify the default font for your desktop and turn antialias on/off for each font selection.  The specific X font string needs to be derived with an application like xfontsel for .jwmrc to be able to understand it; e.g. for arial it will be:
[tt]-*-arial-medium-r-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*[/tt]
HTH.