Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mid Afternoon Dropouts

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Mid Afternoon Dropouts

PVR won't connect even after reset of router. seems to fail at IP assignment - changed SSID and reconnected to new network fine but no IP address forthcoming. Maybe it has a grudge against its maC address!.  Strange though that although it says it is connected there is no sign of it anywhere on the devices page in the router.

It won't let the chromecast connect either  Grin Grin Grin
I am not going to spend any more time on it until the line is fixed and I can stick another router on the network!
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

A days stats that look pretty solid until the last 40 minutes. Typical when I was eating that things should go strange. didn't hear the alarm. I think it is routerstats misbehaving though as it doesn't look like the router has been down and there is nothing untoward in its log. Strange decrease in noise margin leading up to and during the lack of logging though. Have started routerstats again until bedtime
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

last stats before bed. Drifted down during the evening before recovering a bit. Is this normal?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Good morning Jon,
One probable indicator that RS is up no good is that the synch speed either side of an event is the same.  I think there is low level REIN here, there is some fall off of SNRM from 18:00 which (at this time of year) is too early for AM interference, which is what you are seeing later on.
It is a watching game now whilst you unpack that book case.  Does the wire to the master socket come directly through the wall into the back of it or run from the left or right to its place behind the book case?
If the latter and the engineer decides to replace the socket, you might be able to get him to move the master socket so that it is no longer behind the book case.  Would need a junction box and a short length of wire to reconnect your internal extension.  Tea and chocolate hobnobs might help!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Kevin,
as far as I am aware the socket is directly in front of of where the wire enters the house. Although I do remember a bit of a kerfuffle when the house was built in that plasterboard had been put up without making a note of where the phone line came in and they ended up having to knock several holes into the wall to locate it!
It has been rock solid at 6.1 for the last 2hrs with and almost straight line graph - apart from another RS drop.
I am ready for the engineer with a supply of hobnobs and look forward to hearing what he has to say. In some ways I hope he finds something as I am not keen to have interleaving on in the long term and I am reluctant to move to fibre until the issues are sorted. Do you think the low level REIN we might be seeing could have been responsible for the massive issues before interleaving was turned on?
Jon
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jon,
It is possible.  The SNRM shift is not much, looking back I suspect that it lifted around 22:00 so it could be TV related.  Such patterns can be difficult to discern when there are other background things (continental AM interference) going on at the same time.
We watches, we'll see!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Line Stats Pre engineer - hopefully he will turn up after 1pm
Uptime: 1 day, 22:56:58
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 11,841
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 212.04 / 2.15
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.1 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.2 / 6.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,138 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 202 / 511,948
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,618
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 23,989
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jon,
Interestingly, with the updated TG582n in the master socket you've had nearly 2 days uninterrupted connection.  How does that compare with recent experience?
Kevin

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Yes, much better but performance in the master wasn't great before interleaving was turned on so I presume that's what has improved the stability of the line.
I will wait to see what the engineer says and then migrate the router to the office via the bedroom extension socket to see if there are any issues with the internal wiring.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Apparently there was a leak to earth at the cable where it enters the house. He mentioned 600k which he said was borderline for broadband but OK for voice. He sorted it and said it is now a nice clean line that will support fibre nicely and he didn't think there was anything wrong elsewhere. I will run the 582n for a little while just for some stats and then get the TP link back on upstairs before he resets everything that will sort the upload speed.
Uptime: 0 days, 0:06:35
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 14,074
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 443.19 / 688.84
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.1 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 6.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 59
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jon,
Well good news all round, especially as the line test did not report a fault.
Synch speed is markedly improved, but not quite as much as I was hoping for.  On a good day, that line should synch at 16Mbps if the reported attenuation can be trusted.
I'll leave you to get things put back in line with your work permits and look forward to hearing how things are when you have the TP back upstairs.
Cheers,
Kevin

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for all your help with this Kevin. TP is on upstairs now.
Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 444 15600
Max Rate (Kbps) 864 15836
SNR Margin (dB) 25.9 6.2
Line Attenuation (dB) 15.8 31.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jon,
MUCH better!  Synch is now 2Mbps higher than it was at the start of all this.  Interesting that the TP reports a higher line attenuation.  Difficult to know if that is the router or the upstairs location.
All you need now is interleaving turned off again and the US synch uncapping.
Now you can wait and see if the afternoon disconnects have gone.
Kevin

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Fingers crossed. The engineer seemed to suggest he would uncap the upstream. will see what happens over the next couple of days and get interleaving off if all is well.