cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Socket?

BSM

Master Socket?

I am trying to locate the master socket at home. I have 4 sockets in total but I have two NT5 type sockets. One of my non-NT5 sockets has this capacitor which the others don't have, which I thought indicated a master socket? 

I wouldn't have thought this would be the master socket, as it is located in the kitchen at the back of the house.

I have attached a picture below any help would be appreciated. I can open of the other NT5 sockets again as well and take a picture if need be.

Thanks

Socket1 without flash (not NT5)Socket1 without flash (not NT5)Socket1 with flash (not NT5)Socket1 with flash (not NT5)

7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Master Socket?

That socket is clearly at the "end" of your internal wiring.

Best to look from outside of the house, work out where the phone line enters the property and look from there.  The master socket ought to be the first socket on the line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Using that type of socket 2/1/2A, (switchboard socket) enables the telephone that is plugged into it to ring, without having to use the third orange/white cable (ringing cable) connected.   

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Doubt installed by BT Openreach, as that loose end of T5 connection should have been terminated with
extreme prejudice.
Very sloppy as in theory stray wire could touch another terminal.
As stated above socket with capacitor in is for bell ringing..not the church variety.

There's a possibility the premises has never had a BT (as was) Master Socket fitted.
See one of old style sockets here.
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/large/52a.jpg
BSM

socket2(upstairs)socket2(upstairs)socket3(closed)socket3(closed)socket3(faceplate)socket3(faceplate)socket3(opened)socket3(opened)socket4(closed)socket4(closed)socket4(opened)socket4(opened)socket4(opened2)socket4(opened2)

I've taken pictures of the remaining sockets and the socket nearest the white box outside is socket4 (last picture)

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

When I had broadband installed last time the engineer used socket 2 upstairs.

None of the sockets seem to have the yellow capacitor though.

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Oh what a mess!

Socket 2 looks like a standard extension with the bell wire attached (pin 3) which is really not helpful.

Socket 3 looks like the master socket - however ...

• If socket 2 is wired from here, it should have been wired from the lower faceplate so that you can isolate the internal wiring to perform diagnostic tests in the exposed faceplate
  • Is that a phone which is plugged into socket 2?  If yes, it is on a filter?  It does not look so from the photo

Socket 4 looks like it could be an old / dead service NTE.  It is essentially a different network provider's NTE5 socket.  Plug a phone in there.  If you get a dial tone, dial 17070 and see what phone number is reported.

Do the same from socket 2.  If 2 & 4 both report the same number then all sockets are on the same line.

You need to remove the back plate of socket 2 to confirm that the extension wiring is (incorrectly) connected at the back.  If ithe extension wire is ling enough, ideally you should arrange to have the extension wire moved to the removable faceplate.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BSM

Yes, that is a phone that is connected to socket2 but the phone is not working, as not plugged in to the mains as no one ever uses it.

I'l' try do get my hands on a simple landline phone to test socket 4.

In regards to changing the wiring on socket 2 is that something that I can do myself? 

Thanks for the help

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Phone - it just being plugged in could impact the BB performance.

Changing the wiring - yes if you feel confident and have an IDC tool to push the wires down on to the terminal block.  There is loads of help on the internet for example see here - http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

HOWEVER do NOT connect the bell wire, terminal 3 - it is not required.