Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Throughput, High sync speed, Nil Output Power

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Low Throughput, High sync speed, Nil Output Power

Staff need to check if there is a mismatch between the BT IP profiles - there are two systems and they should be the same
tozers123
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Staff need to check if there is a mismatch between the BT IP profiles - there are two systems and they should be the same

Is this something that I should be asking for, how will i be able to get "staff need to check..............."
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I hope it will be picked up here
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Don't worry Swingletree if it's picked up by one of the guys they will talk you through it.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
tozers123
Dabbler

Plusnet have concluded that yet again there is a copper line fault. I have no trouble with telephony. However, it is Plusnet that I pay for Broadband to be delivered to my home and how they get it here is nothing to do with me ie they can use wet string if it works.
Why then, after concluding that it is a faulty line is it my problem to have to contact BT and ask them yet again to test the line and raise a fault ticket. As I do not obtain my BB from BT what incentive do they have to fix my line so that I might receive BB in a reasonable condition.
As this is probably going to be an intermittent fault I might have to go over this long drawn out process for years to come. It might be seen as 'passing the buck'.
If anyone can enlighten me how a BB signal fails when a telephone line is OK using the same pair of copper wires would be welcomed.
Mangoletsi
Grafter

Hello again,
Your netstat is showing something is using your connection, and the tracert is showing the first hop timing is high if connected by ethernet cable.
Usually the response time is 1ms or less between a computer and the router, but yours nearly 100ms suggesting your on wifi.
I dont recognise or know what is running on your pc, but it looks like it's searching through your ports on your internet connection. can you find out what they are by doing netsat /b to tell you what program is doing it just for peace of mind that it's not a trojan or something.
Other then that, all i can suggest is try your laptop on someone elses connection and do a speedtest to eliminate it from the problem.
Undecided
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The first hop pings are normal values for the TG585. The router regards routing as its most important task. It responds to pings, but with lower priority. The values shown have no bearing on throughput.
David
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You can ignore the high ping time on the first hop, it's because apparently those Thomson modem/routers give low priority to ICMP traffic.
Quote from: Swingletree
Plusnet have concluded that yet again there is a copper line fault. I have no trouble with telephony. ............................. As I do not obtain my BB from BT what incentive do they have to fix my line so that I might receive BB in a reasonable condition.
As this is probably going to be an intermittent fault I might have to go over this long drawn out process for years to come. It might be seen as 'passing the buck'.
If anyone can enlighten me how a BB signal fails when a telephone line is OK using the same pair of copper wires would be welcomed.

If Plusnet have told you that you have a line fault, then you should not ignore it. I don't suppose the ticket says what type of fault it is? But in any event you could have several different faults that would not necessarily show immediately as a telephony problem, but could never the less affect the Broadband.
When reporting a phone line problem you NEVER mention the broadband, otherwise you will get the run around.
Just ring BT faults and make something up, just say the phone didn't ring properly very recently and you were talking with soneone  and they said to ring up and get BT to run a line test. Just ask them to run a line test. Simples.
If the test comes back clear then obviously its intermittent and those are always a problem. So then get back to Plusnet and ask them exactly what the line fault was (if it's not on the ticket). And post that information here.
tozers123
Dabbler

Its a copper line fault as indicated below
Mangoletsi
Grafter

Oh dear, reading what it says on that screen shot of the copperline test.
It says the fault is with your equipement at your home (CA = Customer Aparatus), and it advises you at the bottom (EU = End User) to re check all your equipement and internal wiring.
BT telephone engineers dont check your broadband equipement and internal wiring as far as I'm aware, so calling for a BT telephone engineer to check the line is a waste of time and money.
Either you have to do some Sherlock Holmes work at home, or plusnet can call out a broadband engineer to check your equipement in your house which they will most likely charge you for.
Embarrassed
tozers123
Dabbler

Following that test shown above,  Plusnet asked me to remove all equipment, which I did by disconnecting the front face plate from the master socket. A second test was carried out,( I do not have the results) and the fault remained thus indicating that it is external to my house.
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Mangoletsi
That is NOT the correct interpretation of the test result. It means further checks need to be carried out to check it isn't CA, and as the OP has stated that was done. That type of fault can occur on a line as a result of corrosion at some joints or as a result of a faulty NTE5 for example.
Furthermore that is a clear fault that OpenReach are responsible to fix, by reporting the issue to the Line Rental Provider.
@Swingletree
As I previously stated, report it to BT Retail, if necessary insist on a further line test, but that shouldn't really be necessary as the test results above should be recorded on BT's systems.
Edit: That type of fault can also cause "ring-trip" on incoming calls, meaning a caller may hear a brief ring before it's tripped to the answered state and then they hear nothing or just noise. I don't suggest you try to create an incoming call until you've reported the fault as sometimes Ringing current can temporarily clean a corroded joint, and the problem will return sometime later.
tozers123
Dabbler

When I reported it to 151( immediately after dealing with Plusnet) and after a lots of "its a Plusnet broadband fault so why are you ringing on a BT telephone fault line" BT carried out a line test BUT all the equipment was IN PLACE. Again, I don't have any results. I was informed that there was a fault on the line
Mangoletsi
Grafter

@Anotherone
Swingletree did not post earlier he had removed the faceplate and carried out further tests until after my post.
A standard BT telephone engineer will not check for the copper line faults, his only criteria is to check the functionality of the voice line. Swingletree has already stated the telephone is working fine and a BT telephone engineer has already been out and found no fault with the voice/telephone part which a BT telephone engineer would be concerned with.
Swingletree needs a Broadband/SFI engineer visit which would have to be requested through plusnet.
tozers123
Dabbler

Sorry to sound thick but what is a SFI engineer?