Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Sync & Network Traffic Probs?

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Low Sync & Network Traffic Probs?

I've been experiencing very poor sync rates for over a week now. It has got progressively worse. I usually sync around 1.6 to 1.6 however I can't get above 1.1mb and now my profile has gone from 1.25 to 750kb. Anyway I get these problems every few months and they rectify themselves so not sure what keeps going on from time to time.
My main problem though is that I'm getting an increase in resyncs and it appears that my internal network traffic may be causing these resyncs. Is this possible?
I notice when I'm transferring my 3 to 4gb files over the network from one computer to my other computer that half way through it seems to stop because the the wireless connection (I'm transferring wirelessly) goes down and when I check it is a full router reboot that has taken place. I've now taken to transferring the file in smaller batches and that seems to have sorted it but it is a bit of PITA. So as I said above is this possible?
15 REPLIES 15
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Low Sync & Network Traffic Probs?

Hi andun84,
I'm not sure what router it is you're using but I suppose anything is possible. If your router is rebooting then the DLM will think it's dropped connections and that will cause the line to be restricted. In order to stop your line from slowing down anymore I would stop transferring for now, post here what router you have, and maybe somebody on here has had one and can give you some answers. Alternatively, have you tried googling for the answer?
I've just ran some tests and your SNR is 11dB your sync rate is 1024 (which has dropped the profile to 750) and with the 63.5 attenuation you would get max 1900k ish, which you would probably get if the SNR was 6dB. So it may be the drops have caused the SNR to increase.
Jojo Smiley
andun84
Rising Star

The router is a Thomson TG585 v7 which is/was your standard router at one stage so thought there should be a good body of knowledge on here.
Max line profile I've ever got was 1.5 but that didn't last long but I've got 1.25 without much issue for years now but suddenly this year I've had these recurring problems. It's annoying when you have so little speed to start with  Cry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi andun84,
I couldn't see that on your account, so I imagine it wasn't plusnet supplied. I've not came across routers rebooting on the thomson for the reasons you say. The main thing is though, the drops are definitely what's causing your speed to decrease.
I'm sorry I don't have any more ideas about your transfer issue, If it was router we supplied I would probably recommend reflashing the firmware or making sure it has the latest version and if it still kept happening I would replace it for free.
Jojo Smiley
andun84
Rising Star

Quote from: Joanne
If it was router we supplied I would probably recommend reflashing the firmware or making sure it has the latest version.
Jojo Smiley

The router was supplied by yourselves but not to me. You sent a friend out 2 by mistake so naming no names so when my last router went belly up they gave me theirs Cheesy
Where can I get the latest firmware from as I have never updated it so I'm pretty sure it is pretty old firmware on it. The software release on the router stats page shows: 7.4.4.7
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi andun84,
We've a library article here about just that! Wink
Jojo Smiley
andun84
Rising Star

Thanks Jojo downloading now. Going with 8.2.6.5 - wasn't entirely sure which was best but just went off Bob's last comment.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's the best advice I can give you right now, hope it works Smiley
andun84
Rising Star

The upgrade has failed twice now. Do I have to be plugged in through the lan cable in order to do the upgrade as I'm trying to upgrade wirelessly? I will leave it until tomorrow as I now have 2 more reboots which will probably push my snr even higher. How long should I leave it before trying again?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: andun84
The upgrade has failed twice now. Do I have to be plugged in through the lan cable in order to do the upgrade as I'm trying to upgrade wirelessly?

Definitely
[quote= how to upgrade the firmware on the thomson 585v7]
Do *not* attempt the firmware upgrade from a computer that is connected wirelessly.
How long should I leave it before trying again?

I wouldn't do it again until tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
andun84
Rising Star

Ahh thought it when it failed at the same point for the second time. I guess it is obvious that when it reboots then there is nothing to handle the transfer as the wireless will be down too. Me thinks that should be explicitly stated in the how to just for us thickos our there  Grin
Will try again tomorrow.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi andun84,
It is stated there at the top of the page Wink Sad
Jojo Smiley
andun84
Rising Star

You wouldn't believe how many times I read that looking for that and couldn't see it. That really does prove how thick I am  Grin Embarrassed
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Bless! hehe Wink
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I've edited the article so that requirement is now in bold text.  Smiley
David