Thursday 27th November 2014 Login | Register
Plusnet

bobpullen

Contributing Authors : spraxyt

This entry was posted by Bob Pullen on Thursday, January 14th, 2010 at 4:46 pm and is tagged with , , , , , and is posted in the category Hardware. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

85 comments on "How to upgrade/ downgrade the firmware on the Thomson 585v7 & v8"

ramidoodle

The flashing utility can be downloaded from:
http://www.binarybob.plus.com/thomson/TG_UPGRADE.zip

spraxyt

I've corrected the link to that in the article.

steve74

Ive just done this on my router and now the interface is very very sluggish.Also my gaming consoles that ive hooked up,xbox 360 and a wii console dont seem to be remembered now unless they are online then they are viewable in the interface and when off line they are not there?

bobpullen

Might be worth flushing your browser cache to see if it improves the responsiveness. I'm not using a 585v7 at the moment so I can't comment on the latter of the points you raise - does it cause you problems?

steve74

No it's not causing problems,all is working well just thought id say what's happened,overall great instructions and worked for me.

SteveA

So what does V8 of the firmware offer? What bugs has it fixed and does it offer any really good new features?

bobpullen

The main change was to patch a known XSS vulnerability. At the same time the PPTP ALG was removed meaning you can't use PPTP-based VPN solutions with the v8 firmware. I believe the v8 firmware also supports WPS as long as your wireless client does. RTM to see what WPS is - http://www.thomsontelecompartner.com/getfile.php?id=5117

matt_2k34

Worked a treat here on win7 (the link for the win 7 didnt work)
However when clicking setup, the compatability window pops up, select the first option and it ran a treat.

Didnt save the configuration properly tho, using a different IP (which it lost), also it didnt save the login details correctly, and went to expect the auto system to set it up (turned off)

Also hasnt saved my port forwards ... so what did it save? heh..

V8 interface seems to be much smoother imo, seems to lag only rarely.

bobpullen

The Windows 7 link should be fixed now Matt

codenumpty

Just followed all the instructions to the letter now I have a router that doesn't connect properly and web addresses do not resolve. Luckily I had my old NetGear router to replace it with.

bobpullen

does a hard reset help codenumpty? (i.e. sticking a pin into the hole at the back of the unit until the lights go off/on)

avramidis

I am trying to connect to my employer's network using VPN, which requires the PPTP protocol.

I installed firmware version 7 as above (release 7.4.4.7) but the connection keeps failing with error 721. My Windows firewall is

I independently inquired with Thomson. They sent me a doc "open ports/port forwarding". Do I need this?

Thanks,

avramidis

[ follow up to previous message ]

I meant to say that my Windows firewall was ON.

The error persists when the firewall is OFF (the error code is 721 or 619).

Thanks.

bobpullen

@avramidis, we've got an updated version of the v8 firmware now with the PPTP ALG re-enabled. You could try flashing with that to see if it helps. I'm going to update this article to include a link to the new build (v8.2.6.5), in the meantime though you'll find a copy here -
http://www.binarybob.plus.com/thomson/firmware/branded_R8265.bin

bobpullen

I've updated the article now to include download links to the new firmware builds.

avramidis

Bob, it is now working! Thanks!

bobpullen

Glad to hear it! :)

OllieR

I also lost my internet connection after downgrading from 8.2.23.0 > 8.2.6.5, according to the internet connectivity test everything was working except for the internet.

I found by having some patience and waiting ~5 minutes for a website to load that I was being forwarded to somewhere on the plus.net website to complete setup, and after entering my username and password everything started working again. However this setup page was very slow to load and actually failed with "webpage not available" most times, hence the long wait to realize there was an attempt at redirection.

bobpullen

Sounds like the firmware reflash reset your dsl login details to connect to our TR069 platform. If you'd checked and re-entered these then there would have been no need for the redirect to the Plusnet website.

Normally the router will configure itself automatically when this happens but that's dependent on it being scanned by the warehouse when it was originally dispatched (which I'm guessing yours wasn't).

gyre

Is 8.2.23.0 newer than 8.2.6.5? The numbering indicates it might be, but hard to tell with thomson :)

I'm on 8.2.6.5, but it's flaky like hell. By that, I mean that if I have plug and play enabled, and wireless, the router will do a warm reboot for no reason at all. Even adding a static DNS entry on the devices menu can cause the router to reboot.

-- gyre --

Andrew B

Hi Gyre, 8.2.6.5 is the newest version although I understand the confusion!

I'll let our hardware guys know about the problems you're having.. has this only occurred with 8.2.6.5?

highbrookhall

Have any of you people managed to Flash with the Unbranded firmware. I get about 2/3 of the way through the firmware install and it gives up.
I need to be able to set things like the ability to access the router from the Internet using the DynDNS service and in the branded firmware I am unable to get to the config options I need

stuboo

Hi,

I had a problem connecting via my Cisco VNC to my work microsoft outlook server account. The PlusNet Technical helpdesk told me to upgrade the firmware to 8.2.6.5 which i have done but the problem still exists in that although i can connect to the VNC , it will not pull down any messageson my email server.

The VNC has worked on every other wireless router i have tried. HELP!!!!

Thanks

Stuart

bobpullen

You might want to give version 7 a go if you haven't already Stuart? Also, have you tried a factory reset?

bobpullen

@john, not aware of any probs however i guess the file could be corrupted? I'm not in a position to try it at the mo. TBH I thought the web interface was identical navigation-wise, perhaps what you're trying to do needs to be done using the CLI?

stuboo

Hi Bob,

Yep, i have gone back to v7 and done a factory reset and neither v7 or v8 work. I am now back on 7.4.4.7 and havene't gone back up to v8. Any ideas????

Thanks

Stuart

stuboo

Sorry Bob, just to clarify i am talking about VPN problems and not VNC!

bobpullen

Stuart, bit miffed then TBH - do you know whether or not the Cisco VPN is reliant on PPTP as I'd expect it to be IPSec based or similar?

When you say you can't pull down emails, what client are you using and what happens when you try?

Am I right in assuming that you can swap in a non-Thomson router and everything works fine?

stuboo

Hi Bob,

I tried a Siemens modem over the weekend and that didn't work either!

I will check with work re PPTP and IPSEC, and will coem back to you.

Thanks

Stuart

bobpullen

Stuart, I've just had a thought. You haven't got our server-side firewall switched on have you? - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall

stuboo

Hi Bob,

The Cisco VPN uses ipsec i am reliably informed.

I have tried the modem in both (firewall) enabled and disabled mode.

Still no joy????

My IT guys have asked me to ask you to confirm that the Plusnet network accepts VPN. I'm sure the answer is in the positive otherwise you would have told me already, but please confirm.

Cheers

Stuart

Thanks

Stuart

bobpullen

Hi Stuart,

It was the firewall on our website you disabled and not the one on the router/your computer wasn't it?

Yes, our network does support VPN. I use it to connect to our Cisco based implementation at work.

oscar18

I've tried flashing the 585 with all versions on this page in an attempt to enable PPTP

v7 wouldn't let me online and locked me out of my router even when I used the defualt v7 username/pw
8.2.6.5 unbranded sent me to a BT login page instead of the PNET one so I cannot confirm if this works
8.2.6.5 branded worked fine but again couldn't connect to VPN
I called up PNET and the chap said they have a new router which supports PPTP. I received it today and it's exactly the same as the one I had before with the 8.2.23.0 FW which also won't let me connect. (Was I charged for that BTW?)

So I'm wondering is there anything left to try?

stuboo

Hi Bob,

OK i set the firewall through your link to OFF and disabled the firewall on the modem too.

I have done this on both v7 and v8 and still no joy!!!!

Any other hints, advice etc???

Thanks

Stuart

bobpullen

@stuboo, i'm running out of ideas TBH. The fact that you couldn't get things working with the Siemens modem either doesn't bide too well.

You mention that you can connect to the VPN itself but just can't pull emails down? I'm beginning to think that it might be your IT bods who are going to be best off diagnosing the problem from here onwards although I'm happy to answer any questions about our service that they might have.

Do you have a laptop or a desktop? If it's a laptop have you been round to a friend/family members house to see if you can get the mail account working over the VPN from their connection?

@oscar18, what account type are you on and have you tried disabling our server-side firewall? - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall

oscar18

Not sure what you mean by account type Bob, I'm on Plusnet Value if that helps.

Yes my firewall is off.

bobpullen

@oscar18, i asked because VPN is rate limited on the Value package - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#valueSpeeds

Having said that it shouldn't outright prevent you from being able to connect. I'd be interested to know how you get on with a non-Thomson router. Are you able to source one from anywhere?

gyre

@andrew b, the flakiness is on both 7.4.4.7 and the latest firmware. I have 2 plusnet branded 585v7s and they have similar amounts of flakiness.

However... putting the router into bridge mode and turning off wireless, they seem to be rock solid. So, I'm doing that for now :)

thecoachhouse32

Bob Pullen, you are a star, VPN up and running. Thank you!

bobpullen

@Bloz, you don't *have* to upgrade but if you don't I'd suggest you change the default username/password for the router interface - http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/changing-the-default-password-on-a-thomson-585v7/

If you do decide to upgrade then go with the Version 8.2.6.5 build

BenT

Bob, great article. I'm using the 1-port wired ST516v6 (BANT-V). Would you be able to post the update tool and latest Plusnet firmware for that, and possibly lay your hands on firmware 7.447 or newer? I don't really mind whether it's Plusnet or Thompson branded but I suspect that the version 7.447 that I found elsewhere is not really the latest available for those in the know. Thanks in advance!

bobpullen

Hi Ben, AFAIK the latest version *is* 7.4.4.7. You can download a branded version here - http://www.binarybob.plus.com/thomson/firmware/516v6_branded_7.4.4.7.bin
The firmware upgrade tool linked in the article should work for the 516v6 too.

BenT

Hi Bob, many thanks for your rapid response and for posting the firmware. My current ST516v6 (received earlier this month) has Plusnet-branded firmware version 7.6.10.0, though I am led to believe from comments on other forums that this rather large jump actually reflects only a minor customisation, and that 7.4.4.7 is indeed the latest officially supported version as you mention. Have you heard of 7.6.10.0 and can you comment on what the modifications are versus 7.4.4.7? At any rate it seems I don't need to update my router after all if I already have the latest available firmware, although it's good to have 7.4.4.7 from a reputable source as a backup. Thanks again!

bobpullen

Hi Ben, no I wasn't aware of the v7.6.10.0 build but I must admit I don't follow the 585v6 as closely. I'll give Thomson a shout and get back to you...

bobpullen

@maccoylton, have you tried using the Windows 7 version?

TheMacca

Hi,

Is there a firmware flashing utility that can run on OS X?
Alternatively, can I push the bin file to the device over SSH or telnet and have it flash from the command line?

Thanks,

//ian

bobpullen

Hi Ian,

I can't speak for it's validity/success rate (as AFAIK Thomson have not released an official version), but there's a MAC flashing utility on Be Broadband's website here - http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php/Modem_Firmware#Mac

If you try using that though, you'd be doing so at your own risk.

You /can/ use bootp/tFTP to flash the device as well. There's a guide at the aforementioned URL, however it does contain references that are specific to Be's firmware builds/routers.

If you do fancy writing a Plusnet-specific guide then feel free. Anyone is welcome to write support articles on this website.

reetpetite

The links to the firmware builds do not work?

spraxyt

Hmm,it looks like that server might be down.

David

bobpullen

nope, i (unintentionally) broke the links with an .htaccess file (doh!) - should be sorted now.

barrydarnell

I saw you were helping people sort firmware updates, I spoke to someone on the phone at plusnet and requested an update but it hasn't been done. can you ask for my firmware to be update please as im on a mac I can't do it myself, is that still the case?

bobpullen

Hi Barry, the guys who normally looks after remote firmware upgrades is on leave at the moment and isn't scheduled to get back until the 18th Janaury.

In the interim, it might be an idea to see if you can use a friends/family member's Windows machine to do the upgrade.

There are ways of upgrading the firmware on a MAC (see my reply a few posts up), but I wouldn't recommend trying unless you're reasonably technically minded.

clare5bear

Hi,

I need to have vpn so I can access uni related stuff, I've been told I need to ' downgrade the firmware on the router back to version 7'. I've no idea how to do this so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Clare

bobpullen

Clare, the article at the top of the page should help you with this? What in particular are you struggling with?

firesat

FYI. I was experiencing wifi connectivity problems using a Win Phone 7 mobile. Upgrading to firmware version 8.2.7.8 resolved this for me.

clare5bear

I've read the info at the top of the page, but still can't seem to do it! I connect the laptop with the ethernet rather than wireless and get as far as stage 5, but then it can't find the Thomson Gateway.

Thanks for helping me! Clare

anniesboy

Upgraded the fimware,but its made no difference to poor upload speed, see post here http://is.gd/dDccWm

bobpullen

@Clare, if you connect the laptop via Ethernet, can you browse to the router interface at http://192.168.1.254 ?

If you can't, then the problem is to do with the ethernet link between your laptop and the router. Trying another ethernet cable, or manually configuring the TCP/IP properties of your network card would be the next steps I'd take.

benmacdui

Hi I've upgraded my 585 v7 to the 8.2.6.5. firmware but can cannot access the routers web page I've tried Administrator for user name with password left blank but thease are not accepted.I've reset the router but still no look.
any Ideas?

spraxyt

Yes, the admin username and password for that version of the software is different. This is explained in the paragraph just below the last image in the document. The username you need is admin and the password will be the serial number of the router CP.... with all letters upper case.

benmacdui

Many thanks spraxyt I have now sorted this out,the confusion was understanding that I've got version 8 firmware on v7 hardware.

spraxyt

I agree there was scope for confusing v8 firmware and v8 routers. I've updated that paragraph in the article to make this clearer.

adi2004

Hello! Is there a firmware which offers the possibility to log how much traffic is being made by each connected device?

Thanks,
A.

bobpullen

@adi2004, not to my knowledge there isn't I'm afraid.

spraxyt

If the devices are Windows PCs installing NetWorx on each PC might provide the breakdown you are seeking. Setting options include exclusion of local traffic, defining peak hours and a "master" PC can be set up to amalgamate individual PC usage.

uren1980

I have an issue. I have just upgraded my tg585v7 from v7.4.4.7 to v8.2.6.5 and the router is asking for the Administrator password. It isn't what the password was before the upgrade, it isn't a blank field as mentioned above nor is it the serial number (as mentioned in the original documents). I'm a bit stuck now as I would like to be able to check how quick the router is connecting.

Please help

bobpullen

It should be 'admin' as the username (case sensitive minus the quotes), and the serial number as the password (case sensitive again but minus the bracketed numbers at the end).

uren1980

Thanks. That works. Panic over.

McBee

The IPASS vpn client that my work windows based laptop uses is giving me a 'failed to acquire network address' error message with my current firmware of v8.2.7.8 but shouldn't this version be compatible for VPN since it's later than the 8.2.6.5 recommended above? Any idea what might be causing the issue?

bobpullen

@McBee, the PPTP problems should only affect the v7 units. Judging from the firmware revision you're using you have a v8 unit? Is iPass a PPTP solution? (I'm not familiar with it). Neither am I aware with any VPN specific problems with the v8 devices I'm afraid :(

SarahC

Further to your recommendation when I reported connection issues with the new router you sent me, I managed to find my way through this upgrade process. However it couldn't complete the upgrade, no matter how many times I tried. What do I do now..?

bobpullen

@SarahC exactly what problems are you having, and do you know what firmware revision you're running at the moment? (the article above tells you where to obtain this information)

DorsetDiver

I thought I would check my routers version of the firmware but I have not got past the router administration username and password. I have not a clue what they are or where to find them. Assistance in simply terms for a near complete computer novice would be appreciated.

spraxyt

Details of the username and password for accessing the TG585 web interface can be found in the help page here.

I've added this information to the article too.

stevesidmouth2

Brilliant article and very helpful. I bought a £3 585v7 router off ebay as a spare (just in case) but it was programmed to work only with TalkTalk.

I followed the instructions on here and now it is working on Plusnet with 8.2.6.5 firmware. Only point to watch is that some devices apparently have Administrator as a username, some have admin. admin (all lower case) worked for me after the firmware upgrade. The password is the CP number (S/N) on the base of the router - note all upper case letters in this. Then just tell it your plusnet user name and password and it connects to internet in no time.

Thank you to the authors of this support article!!

jelv

If you copy the new version of firmware to the Builds directory before you start the flashing utility it finds it immediately and misses out all the steps 6 and 7 to do with browsing to the firmware to upload.

ianeon

is there any upgrade software that works over windows 8....?

Have tried the windows 7 but does not install saying not for the system.

Cheers

spraxyt

I don't recall seeing a Windows 8 compatible tool being mentioned.

Probably need to ask Plusnet to upgrade the software remotely.

bobpullen

No there isn't a Windows 8 compatible firmware flashing application as yet. I don't think Technicolor have one in the immediate pipeline either. As spraxyt's mentioned it might be worth asking support whether or not it can be done remotely.

spraxyt

According to the Community post here the Windows 7 update tool works on Windows 8 in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Anotherone

I thought there was already comment here that the Tools also support the Upgrading of the TG582n firmware as well. As there wasn't, I thought I'd add the comment as I know a few users have been confused.

spraxyt

Thanks. I've added a note to the article mentioning the tools can be used on the TG582n and provided a link to the firmware for that router.

bobpullen

I did ask about compatibility mode but our office guru advised me it still didn't work. Thanks for the clarification.

Minxymoo

Is there any chance we can get the parental controls and website blocking features enabled on the tg585 v7?

bobpullen

@Minxymoo, it's very unlikely considering the fact that neither Technicolor or us are shipping the device any more. Even if it is possible, creating new firmware builds is quite an arduous task due to all the testing etc. that's required. If you were to contact our helpdesk then they may be able to arrange for a replacement 585v8 to be sent out.

Add a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Main Menu

Plusnet

Force9

Metronet

Free-Online

Madasafish

PAYH

Just The Name

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE

Support Library is powered by WordPress

Add to Technorati Favourites