Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of speed

FIXED
MisterMike
Hooked

Loss of speed

Hi all,

I'm on a 37-55mb speed (as in my confirmation email when I took out this service, with a minimum guaranteed of 31mbps)
I'm getting between 20-27mbps depending on when I test, but my account has now been changed to show estimated speed of 30-34mbps.

I checked my package just now and I'm paying for an upto 66mbps service. When this was first in place I was getting sometimes 40+ speeds. What tests can I do to see what the issue is? or what are my next steps? 

Thanks for your help

EDIT:

I just checked my broadband package on my account and they've not only lowered the speed ranged from 37-55 down to 30-34, but also lowered my minimum guaranteed speed from 31 down to 27.

I'm paying more than when I joined, and getting less speed?

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Loss of speed

Fix

Are you getting less speed or is it simply that the estimates have changed?

Estimates are derived for observed speeds.

The product you pay for are 'average download speed of 36Mb' or 'average download speed of 66Mb' - they are not absolute, but averages.

Other than numbers in the user portal what actual issues are you encountering?  Do you experience actual problems?

Note that data speed test services are not absolute, the same speed test can vary minute to minute and some tests report results markedly different from others.  The only thing which is meaningful is the speed reported by the router, along with the SNRM figures.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterMike
Hooked

I've spoken on the phone to Plusnet and the issue is sorted. Router needed turning off for a time and then turning back on (crazy how that sorted an over 25% drop in speed.)

So the speeds on my account are showing less than they were previously showing, actual speed was slower.

I pay for 66mbps. but ive never had more than 42 (which im fine with until it drops to less than 21mbps)

It's all sorted in terms of performance now, just my account showing wrong. 

Thanks for your response

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That suggests that there is (or was) and undelaying issue with the line.  42mbps is at the bottom end of that package.  Are you a long distance from your green cabinet?

What diagnostic actions have you taken?

Sign of your router stats please (sync speed, SNRM, attenuation) might give some hints as to if there is room for improvement.  The following might help...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket (ideally this should be a corded phone). The line should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below. NB: You need to put your LANDLINE NUMBER after "PHONE" [missing instruction].

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats (include line speed, attenuation, SNRM, uptime and if available, error counts); for PN routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics, download the .PDF report and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Check the Plusnet user portal for the "Current Line Speed" which is relevant to users with static IP addresses.

What is the state of your internal telephone wiring?

Is the router connected direct to the master phone socket, not using any telephone extension wires?

Are there wired telephone extensions?

It will be most interesting to compare your DATA speed test results against the line SYNC speed reported by the router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterMike
Hooked

I do not have a physical phone to plug into the line so I will have to try that at some point later.

Sync speed says downstream 46mbps

Up stream 12.3mbps.

Signal attenuation 10.6 / 24.4

Line attenuation 10.9 / 19.3

Noise margin 6.0 / 6.2

I ran the BTwholesale test but when trying to do the additional using the phone number for my line i get a response of the following.

"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is not great - my attenuation is similar to yours and have much better DS sync...

Data rate:5.276 Mbps / 65.335 Mbps
Maximum data rate:5.276 Mbps / 63.891 Mbps
Noise margin:7.7 / 2.7
Line attenuation:9.0 / 19.6
Signal attenuation:7.2 / 25.6

You would be well advised to get (borrow) a telephone handset to eliminate the possibility of noise on the line.