30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Little peak time latency humps

Grin Grin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I'm not convinced about this latest fix yet !
as my graph for this afternoon and evening -

is no quieter than when NO FIX was in place on Friday -

or Saturday -

all recorded on gateway PCL-AG02.
Undecided
deathtrap
Grafter

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/b8c2fe15e9fc7b01001f04bd5f9b2f0e-19-08-2013.png
Although the jitter  is reduced (but not totally gone) throughput is reduced tonight at one point it was down  to around 45mbps at around 10-10:30pm this is using GW PTW AG-O2
And because I'm not getting the normal line speed the latency rockets whilst downloading anything  as you can see,   it also causes  a small amount of packet loss but only when throughput is affected  & only during  peak times, this happened a few months ago,
I was advised to report as a fault, which i did  but it's not a fault with my connection that is the underlying cause , the problem could be congestion related  somewhere either BT's side of things (their network links from exchange to plusnet handover points, or it lies within plusnet's control be it network capacity or peering capacity or something to do with the way traffic is managed any of the equipment used  such as DPI( is this really needed ?)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: purleigh
Hmm, I'm not convinced about this latest fix yet !

Yet, look at the other graphs:
http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
The peak has pretty much reduced down to a thin line across most of the graphs.  It's like the other peaks we are seeing is actual usage.
Purleigh:  The noise on your graphs is something different, possible related to you being 20CN.  (Incidently, Wo0x's graphs look that same and he is 20CN too)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: deathtrap
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/b8c2fe15e9fc7b01001f04bd5f9b2f0e-19-08-2013.png
Although the jitter  is reduced (but not totally gone) throughput is reduced tonight at point to around 45mbps at around 10-10:30pm this is using GW PTW AG-O2 And because i'm not getting line speed the latency rockets whilst downloading anything  as you can see,   it also causes  a small amount of packet loss but only when throughput is affected  only during  peak times, this happened a few months ago,
I was advised to report as a fault, which i did  but it's not a fault with my connection that is the underlying cause , the problem could be congestion related  somewhere either BT's side of things (their network links from exchange to plusnet handover points, or it lies within plusnet's control be it network capacity or peering capacity

I'll have a good look at the PTW-AG02 graphs tomorrow when I'm in.  There's been plenty of capacity on the gateways though, but we'll see.  Monday nights can be busy.
Kelly Dorset
deathtrap
Grafter

The GW capacity it's self didn't look over busy was reporting around 36k when i checked before,so was lower than some others, although i would say that the number of customers on the gateway would be a less likely cause ,unless they where all downloading something at the same time as i was
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Kelly
Purleigh:  I think your graph shows stuff at your exchange/line.  It looks very different to other graphs we see.

You definitely have the hump still on your graphs, but it looks far noisier, and different, possibly to do with 20CN exchange kit?

Purleigh:  The noise on your graphs is something different, possible related to you being 20CN.

OK I get the message !,  I'll stop cluttering up this thread with my graphs   Embarrassed

Kelly
Hero

On the contrary, it's actually useful.  Smiley
Kelly Dorset
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I don't have much if any change here, maybe slightly more packet loss last night.
pcl-ag04
AndyH
Grafter

It's a little bit strange because your latency remained constant and website load times actually decreased when it says you had packet loss.
I'm on pcl-ag03 and my samknows showed no packet loss.
AndyH
Grafter

There was some packet loss this morning picked up on TBB graphs - looking at the other PN graphs, some users had it and others didn't. Maybe gateway related?
Kelly
Hero

Nope.  That's peering.  It looks like there is some instability on LONAP right now.
Kelly Dorset
Mathias
Grafter

Here is my graph from yesterday 19/8. On PCL-AG01.
No actual gaming last night just logged on to BO2 on xbox to customise my classes, but didn't play a game.

Don't look that great to me, blue ping jumped up a fair bit. What do you guys make of it?