cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linespeed dropped to 2600kbs

stuartwalker
Grafter

Re: Linespeed dropped to 2600kbs

I am LIVING in the Test Socket these days!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI stuartwalker,
Ok I'll go for the reset. Don't touch anything and I'll check it out periodically to see whether it's taken effect.
Jojo Smiley
stuartwalker
Grafter

Why am I not surprised ....

Downstream Upstream
  Data rate(Kbps) 2176Kb 448Kb
  Noise Margin 21 24
  Output power(dBm) 119 197
  Attenuation(dB) 41 25

Were there any disconnections?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stuartwalker,
It's still dropping a lot, so if you're still in the test socket and have changed filters then I would raise a fault.
Jojo Smiley
stuartwalker
Grafter

I'm going in circles again ....
OK, I'll raise another ticket.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stuartwalker,
The last fault was raised as no sync, but as it's still open I'll pick it up and send it back for testing.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Hi stuartwalker,
I've re-raised it and I've one of the faults guys picking it up for you now.
Jojo Smiley
SpencerUk
Grafter

Hi stuartwalker,
I originally diagnosed this fault that you raised to us. For some reason it was raised as a no connection and as such, I returned the fault back to you. Joanne asked me to look into this again for her. I tried to call you this evening to discuss this but you were unavailable.
Looking at the connection logs and from the recent diagnostics done by yourself, its hard to see which drops are caused from your end or by some other issue. Although the next step would be to send an Openreach engineer round, I would hold off. My reasoning is below.
Your target SNR is going up because of the way DLM works. Long story short, its seeing reboots, changes to setup and drops and its trying to compensate by putting the SNR up. As what has already been stated, your target SNR goes up or down in increments of 3db, everytime it goes up, you can lose between 300kbps to 1mb and down you gain. So really, your target SNR is not of great relevance at this moment in time.
I'm going to do an SNR reset on your line and I don't want you to do any rebooting or changes to setup during this. Obviously during the SNR reset, your connection will drop naturally and you will experience fluctuations in speed and stability. The key is to see what the target SNR finishes on, If its keeping high on your line and your line is wildly dropping , we will get an engineer out, if its not, its problem solved and it saves either you or a member of your family waiting in for an engineer. If you have any questions in relation to what I have typed, just reply back in the faults ticket and I'm sure either myself or any member of the faults team will elaborate further.
EDIT: Joanne, I've SNR reset this, complete date is 24/06/2011 19:48:06 so disregard the drops atleast until the end of the week. Any problems with it, ya know where to find me Smiley
stuartwalker
Grafter

The engineer has visited today and found nothing wrong. There will be a few disconnections due to his activities.
Can someone post the little graph showing the disconnection events over the past few days? I'd like to know if there have been any more disconnection events.
Downstream Upstream
  Data rate(Kbps) 3360Kb 448Kb
  Noise Margin 15 24
  Output power(dBm) 119 196
  Attenuation(dB) 41 25
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stuartwalker,
I'll try resetting the SNR. It seems to be a lot more stable. I am, however intrigued by those drops at about 18:30 three nights on the run. I wonder if there could be something in your house triggering that?
Jojo Smiley

p.s. I'm hoping you're in the test socket
stuartwalker
Grafter

Now, there's a thought! Unfortunately I've checked the central heating and aquarium time switches and they don't coincide.
Unsurprisingly the BT engineer didn't find or observe any fault.
The stats have dropped though the day noise margin is up high again.
Downstream Upstream
  Data rate(Kbps) 2144Kb 448Kb
  Noise Margin 21 24
  Attenuation(dB) 41 25
Is there any way that this auto-speed adjustment can be switched off or locked to a constant speed?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: stuartwalker
Is there any way that this auto-speed adjustment can be switched off or locked to a constant speed?

Sadly not. Even if there was, then it would probably end up dropping like it did on Wednesday. However, it does look a little more stable as you'll see from the graph below. (the drop at 2am was a profile change so wasn't an unscheduled drop) If it were to stay like that for a couple of days I would consider an SNR reset.
Jojo Smiley
stuartwalker
Grafter

Well I've had a response about the engineer's visit too. I won't include it here but it basically says that the ADSL line is within tolerance.
To my mind that doesn't explain why the quality has degraded and I'm getting half the bandwidth that I used to but it's clear that nothing is going to be done about it.
I am intrigued by your news that the 2am glitch is due to a profile change. How do you know this as the graph looks just the same as all the other glitches. Further, how many more of these markers on the graph profile changes?
SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream
  Data rate(Kbps) 2144Kb 448Kb
  Noise Margin 22 24
  Attenuation(dB) 41 25
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: stuartwalker
I am intrigued by your news that the 2am glitch is due to a profile change.

Because the data I make the graph from looks like this..
Subscription Access Rack Last Event Event Time Message IP Assigned Service Calling From Session Started         Session Ended     Session Duration
PN      xxx.xxx.xxx.xx active 20:00 21/Jun/2011 unknown (Interim update) xx.xxx.xxx.xx Not set 02:00 21/Jun/2011 N/A                   18:12:13 (on going)
PN      xxx.xxx.xxx.xx ended 02:00 21/Jun/2011 unknown (Administrative reset) xx.xxx.xxx.xx Not set 10:32 20/Jun/2011 02:00 21/Jun/2011   15:27:40

Forgive the formatting but where it says administrative reset, that's a profile change and has no adverse effect on the DLM
Jojo Smiley