Did you mean: 

Line fault - Late Saturday evening

FIXED
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Line fault - Late Saturday evening

Hi there mrtullyhubbert, I've popped through a DLM reset for you, that should go through within the next 24 hours. 

It's something we often need to do after a phone line fault has been worked on so hopefully that does the trick, please keep us posted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

That's great thanks Adam, do I give it 24 hours and then restart my router or will everything happen automatically?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No problem, sorry for us taking a long while to get back to you, no reboot should have been needed. Have you seen any improvement since Monday?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

Hi Adam, no things as of this morning were much the same. I waited 'almost' 24hrs and then through the advanced settings in the router disconnected and reconnected. It connected at 27.4 again, still unable to stream 1440 YouTube without buffering every few seconds. Waited a short time and rebooted the router, again it connected at 27.4.

I'm not at home atm but as of this morning system and connection uptime was around 1.5 days. I was going to leave it a week or so to see if it self disconnects/reconnects at it's normal 30mbps before contacting you again.

Thanks for getting back to me again.

--
John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi John,

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues. I've had a look into this and line tests aren't showing any issues and your speeds within our suppliers expectations for how your line should be performing, so I don't think there's much more we can do. Those expectations are anywhere between 25.5mbps to 40mbps shown Here.

I can however see Here that engineers are starting to build full fibre/FTTP infrastructure in your area, so hopefully shouldn't be too much longer before you can get even faster speeds!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

Hi Gandalf, thanks for the reply.

I've registered an interest on the link provided, thankyou. I don't ever think it'll become an option though, I live pretty rural and worse than that I'm 250yds from road to pole up a concrete lane and then from pole to house is a further 70yds underground.

All through my recent line and router issues I was connecting at 30/6 and speed tests were approx 27/5.5. Only after the line issues were resolved and at the very last hurdle of replacing router and setting up a spare did the connection drop to 27.4/6 and speeds to 24/5.5. Doesn't sound like much and in reality it 'probably' doesn't matter that much. Apart from the download tests the only difference I can see is that when connected at 30 I was 'mostly' able to watch YouTube at 1440 whereas at 27.4 I can rarely watch it without buffering every few seconds. I was hoping that DLM had capped my line and some adjustment provider end would reset that back to 30, if you can do anything a reset would be appreciated. 

On the plus side I've maintained a connection for 6+ days now and that's a rare thing on this line. 

Regards

--

John

mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

So I maintained a connection for just over 8 days (great) before making a new connection in the early hours of this morning ... still at 27.397Mbps. Looks like I'm going to have to accept that 27 is the new 30 Sad 

I'm out of contract in 5 months. I don't have any issues with PlusNet (They really have been great in dealing with all my line problems and within reason price depending I'll re-new with them) At the end of the day my line is poor and in the autumn I'm going to do some research into the viability of a MiFi router. I've simple needs, a PC connected by ethernet, BT TV Box Pro connected by ethernet (Though apparently it can do WiFi) Chomecast connected by WiFi and my phone connected by Wifi.

As to how much data I get through I'm not sure, probably quite a lot as I stream a lot of TV/YouTube and sometimes upload at 2.7k to YouTube. There used to be a data use on the PlusNet site, I can't find it now. Has it been done away with or can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi John,

You may be surprised about FTTP as Openreach's fibre checker for your address suggests they're starting to build the infrastructure although it could just be in the early stages and may take some time. 

Based on the speed you used to get, I'll be happy to arrange an engineer visit to take a closer look and see if they're able to bring things back up. If you're happy to go ahead, when could you be available for a visit? The engineers are available weekday timeslots (and occasionally Saturday's) of 8am to 1pm or 1pm to 6pm.

We've taken away the View My Broadband Usage (VMBU) tool a good 4 years ago as the vast majority of our packages are unlimited usage now. I can manually generate usage, but it likely won't include usage from streaming services, because a lot of the content on YouTube and Netflix etc are cached/stored in our network. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

Thanks for the offer Gandalf. However it seems pointless putting Plusnet/Openteach to the effort and expense just to get a fraction more speed out of my line, experience tells me the next engineers visit won't be a great period time away anyway and they can look at it then. If it stays stable at the current speed I'll be happy enough. Thanks for the help.

--
John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem John. Let me know if you have any further issues. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet