Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line fault - Late Saturday evening

FIXED
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Line fault - Late Saturday evening

That's  not from the link @jab1  asked for. It does however show your sync speed was similar to last week, upload a little lower..

Edit to correct speed.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@jab1 gave the wrong link.

@mrtullyhubbert try this one https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Thanks, @Dan_the_Van . realised my mistake when I saw the reply, and was just going to post a correction, but the phone interrupted.

EDIT: The reply does however show that the OP is way below the handback threshold.

John
mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

BT wholesale speed test now uploaded, results attached. Ran 3 ethernet connected tests and 3 on wifi and they are all pretty much the same as the ookla results. 

Strange thing, when I first seen everyone's replies (Thanks all) to my previous post I was on my mobile web browser, so I done a BT wholesale test over wifi and the first result was 40mbps down and 5 up!!!! Off I dashed to try my wired connections on th PC, all as above. Was about to start changing routers thinking the current setup ok on Wifi but the ethernet ports were dodgy when I decided to try the wifi again, yup every test now is 6-7mbps down. I know the wifi is as bad as the wired as I can't stream youtube at a higher resolution than 720 on wifi or ethernet, in fact even that buffers at times.

--

John

mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

Got up this morning and speed test wired and WiFi now around 27 down and 5.5 up, using Open reach modem and HH4. Excellent, can actually stream YouTube at 1440. The bad news, my previous HH6 isn't establishing a connection, orange or flashing orange lights. So that's a battle for tonight as I'm at work now. There were a lot of updates from Plusnet on my ticket and via SMS and email. I do like the support I get from PN given my historically dodgy like, thanks to them and the advice given by everyone here. The most interesting to me message received below

"Engineer Notes
Closure Code: nRouting Updated:nUpdated Main Cable: nUpdated Main Cable Pair: nUpdated Cab: nUpdated E Side: nUpdated D Side: 129nUpdated DP Code: nUpdated DP Pair: nEngineer Comment: 82. 5nDis leg in network nFault found at dpnReconnected at dpnPair proved to Dside 129nDial tone confirmed toward Eu premises nAll faults cleared nTested and working nLeft in service nnNo access to premises nNo PQT carried out."

Anyone decipher that? Smiley
jab1
Legend

@mrtullyhubbert Those engineer notes are the usual gobble-de-[-Censored-] you get - they mean something to the BT/OR guys, but little to the general public. However, from experience, it looks like you had a good engineer. Effectively, he has put you on all new cables/pairs/connections after discovering a disconnected bit of cable at your Distribution Point (local pole) He has then completed and confirmed all the tests he can without needing to disturb you.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jab1  I have a feeling that in BT speak Routing updated probably means he checked that all the cable sections were correct on the records, there is no way that all the cables would have been replaced, just the disconnect repaired and tested OK near the premises.

jab1
Legend

OK, @RealAleMadrid - you are probably correct, thinking about it, but he still seemed a conscientious engineer, if he did all that work. Smiley

John
mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

So this evening I installed another Hub 6 (Used) donated by a friend who's upgraded to full fibre. I've changed the SSID and key to match my precious Hub 6 so hopefully that will save me some footering. I'll take another look at my Hub 6 but it was failing to connect, that's the second one of those it's happened to, wonder why? (Both were new units bought on ebay and lasted an extended amount of time before expiring) I've a Smart Hub 2 on order as a spare now (Along with my trusty Openreach modem and HH4 obviously Smiley )

27.8 down and 5.6 up, I'm more than happy with that. I'm also hoping the disconnections will be less frequent too, that would be great. Hub 6 stats and speed test results attached. 

Thanks all

jab1
Legend

Sounds good, John, hope it stays that way. 👍

John
mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

I've no doubt it'll give trouble again, best I can hope for is a good run before it happens Smiley 

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Partial translation

"Dial tone confirmed toward Eu premises n"

Eu = end user

Furtherly...

the lowercase 'n' at the end of a section of text probably denotes 'new line'

So (to me) it looks like the

Closure code = null

Routing updated = null

Main cable = null

Updated Main Cable Pair = null

Updated Cab = null

Updated E Side = null

Updated D Side = 129

Updated DP Code = null

Updated DP Pair = null

Engineer Comment = 82. 5

Dis leg in network = null

Fault found is dp = null

Reconnected at dp = null

Pair proved to Dside = 129

Dial tone confirmed toward Eu premises = null

All faults cleared = null

Tested and working = null

Left in service = null

(then there's another newline and what appears to be text comments)

No access to premises

No PQT carried out

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[-Censored-] censored?

jab1
Legend

@greygit wrote:

Partial translation

So (to me) it looks like the

Closure code = null

Routing updated = null

If the OP now has a working/stable service, your interpretation has to be wrong, as he (the engineer) must have carried out a repair, which you seem to suggest he didn't, based on my understanding of the above post.

John
mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

So a slight curve ball today, somewhere ^^^^ there we all agreed that my line isn't great at the best of times, after the repairs detailed in this thread I was back to syncing at 30/6 with down/up speeds around 26.5/5.6. I can live with that, 1080 streaming fine, 1440 'mostly' possible. The BT Hub 6 I had been using pre line issues had died and wouldn't connect anymore so I was using a used BT Hub 6 donated by a friend who'd moved to full fibre.

I used the Hub 6 from the 7th July (When it updated the firmware) through to the 11th July. I then switched to a new BT Smart Hub 2 which updated the firmware 3 nights in succession establishing a new connection every time I assume. Each time it reconnected it was at 30/6 and down/up speeds were still at 26.5/5.6. The Smart hub 2 now fully updated was retired to the drawer as a spare and the Hub 6 was put back in. That was on the 16th. 

So since the 16th the Hub 6 hasn't updated the firmware (I'm not expecting any updates) but it has lost/established the connection once per day. First 2 times in reconnected at 30/6 but the last connection established is at 27.4/6 and down/up speeds have reduced to 24/5.6. Doesn't sound like much but I can no longer stream YouTube at 1440 which is annoying. 

So has the daily disconnects/reconnects triggered DLM and my speed has been reduced? What can I do to reset that and get my connection back to where it was?

Thanks.

--

John