cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Reset please?

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Re: Line Reset please?

Would there be any benefit being on ADSL 2?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Debatable but shouldn't make it worse
In my case it made no difference and my attenuation is similar to yours
The fact that your default noise margin appears to be 12dB would indicate that there is room for improvement but it may be that you just have a noisy line
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Mike,
You might still be on ADSL(1) because the line configuration has not been changed.  However due to the error rate it is possible that the DSLAM has determined that ADSL 2 modulation might not be viable.
Are you using the full version of RouterStats?  If yes, take a look at the tones graphs.  This will show you how many bits are present in each tone bucket and which tone buckets are usable.  ADSL(1) does not use the higher numbered tones; long lines do not transmit the higher numbered tones well.  See here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm#tones - for more information if you are interested.
ADSL 2 can run with single bits in the tone buckets so it might be possible to squeeze a bit more out of the line.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I would have actually expected ADSL2 to be better able to deal with the errors.
As an experiment I set my own line back to ADSL1 shortly before 7am this morning, my line not having been particularly stable lately. Now of course I can't be sure how it would have coped with today had I left it on ADSL2, but it's currently racking up CRC errors at an unfortunate rate on ADSL1. (No, I don't need any help fixing it, I just thought I should re-check ADSL1 vs. ADSL2 for myself.)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ejs,
What's the tool please?  Is it compatible with the tg582n?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The graphs are from (Linux shell) scripts I wrote myself, and will only work with my router, the infamous Netgear DG834G v3.
Mikejstephens
Grafter

This is the latest graph on the Tones page?
Mikejstephens
Grafter

Chris - Just had this message from Martin Liversedge:
Thanks for your patience, I can see the fault is still ongoing following the engineer visit. After retesting your connection I believe we can resolve this remotely by changing how the exchange manages your connection.
We'll advise when we have completed all work, it could be up to 5 working days.
Does this mean a switch to ADSL2?
Thanks Mike
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Martin has made an internal comment above:
"Modify order placed to ADSL2+ / 8Mbps  / 448 Kbps / Interleaving ON / Custom Thresholds.
Order will complete tomorrow, once completed it will need ccSNR to fix target SNRM at 12dB to stabilise the circuit."
So it looks as though he is putting you on an 8Mb product with Interleaving on as well as forcing your SNR Target to remain 12db which should complete tomorrow.
Mikejstephens
Grafter

Thanks Chris - excellent prompt service as always!  Cheers Mike
Mikejstephens
Grafter

Chris - changeover to ADSL2 seems to have gone through but not sure whether SNR reset has be done?  Upload speed seems very slow compared to before?  Does the line need the 10 day acclimatization period?  Current RouterStats below:
Uptime: 1 day, 3:07:43   
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5   
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 4,441   
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 27.35 / 736.52   
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0 
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.9 / 53.0   
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.2 / 6.9   
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----   
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN   
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0   
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0   
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0   
Loss of Link (Remote): -   
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 198 / 0   
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 619 / 793,226 
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 12 / 162 
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 11 / 2,068 generateTasks() 
Thanks, Mike
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep - Martin is dealing with this and he'll get that sorted for you once he's retested your line, following the move to ADSL2.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
Was the capped US intentional or a facit of the manual process?
Kevin

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Intentional at these early stages. Moving somebody to ADSL2 can have negative effects, which is why he's only left it capped at the moment. It's easy/quick enough for us to uncap it once we see the line holding firm.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: Mikejstephens
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5   

That shows the 8Mb rate cap is pretty worthless since it's still connected as ADSL2+ rather than ADSL2. My line achieves higher speeds by configuring the router to select ADSL2, rather than leaving it as auto and ending up as ADSL2+. (It has nothing to do with ADSL2+ using higher frequencies, none of which would ever be used on my line, probably something to do with different PSD masks being used, i.e. ADSL2+ adjusts the power levels for different tones differently.)