Line Reset please?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Line Reset please?

Mike,
Quote from: Mikejstephens
... max line speed from 4 to 7.15GMb which was the max speed before the changeover to 21CN exchange earlier this year.  I don't think I'll get any better speeds than 3.5 to 4 and am happy if they'll just stay stable.

I'm sure that the three-orders-of-magnitude uplift was just a typo and not the result of intoxicating substances!  Your line (at 50dB) should do 5Mbps - to get 7Mbps your line's attenuation would need to be reduced to 45dB.  If the line fault has pushed your attenuation up, the fix might put you closer to where you were.  Let's hope that the engineer due tomorrow sorts things out.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Chris Pettitt
Chris we are expecting an engineer visit this afternoon.  Some posts ago  you did mention you might want to speak to the engineer while he's here?  Do you still want to do that?
Cheers, Mike
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Mike,
Happy to if the engineer wants to have a chat about anything. Let me know if the engineer does and I'll give you a call.
Mikejstephens
Grafter

Thanks Chris - Engineer just called and, as expected, everything was 100% perfect with no errors or noise whatsoever!  NTE5 working OK and no problems on house wiring.  D/L 3.79 at present which is very good.  These are routerstats for your info. Thanks Mike
Uptime: 0 days, 0:03:46   
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 864 / 4,864 
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.80 / 7.61   
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.7   
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 49.5 
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 6.5   
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----   
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN   
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -   
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / - 
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -   
Loss of Link (Remote): - 
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / - 
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 244   
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 generateTasks() 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mike,
Can you please keep RouterStats running from this point and keep a watch on the error counts.  I note that FEC count was taking off at around  100 per minute.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Kevin - just noted a dropout and restart with FEC errors going very high - see stats - what would that point to?
Uptime: 0 days, 0:16:19   
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 832 / 4,864 
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 11.29 / 236.07 
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.7 
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 6.6 
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / -   
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / - 
Loss of Link (Remote):
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 58 / -   
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 1,353   
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 10   
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 20 generateTasks() 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Mike,
SHINE - like REIN but a spike event.  What is the RouterStats sample interval?

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Think I set it to 10secs. Bt man tells me there shouldn't be any interference from phones. Only thing turned on in house was Apple TV?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mike,
The interference could come from anything, anywhere - not just phones and not just within your own home.  One user on here last week found that their interference was coming from a neighbour's Freeview box.

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Thanks for that cheery news Kevin!  Not much hope then!!  Thanks for your help,cheers Mike
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mike,
There is always hope - its a journey!
Let's keep an eye out for events on RouterStats.  Around Nov 2012 I was suffering really bad performance, which could not be linked to anything.  BT repeatedly said the line was "OK" however there is a gulf between "OK" and as good as it can be.
Long story short, after getting the line stable such that synch did got get dropped every day, RouterStats monitoring started to show regularly occurring pronounced patterns which I was eventually able to tie in with time lines (dusk / dawn).  Having found the source of that (failing switched current PSU) I found a star wired extension which when removed improved the line's attenuation.
Having eliminated a number of issues, it was possible to have the line set to a "more optimistic" level.  That brought about a new spate of disconnects and regular marked spikes on the SNRM plot.  After some out of the box thinking and research, I discover that those spikes were down to a particular type of train passing nearby on the WCML.
Once that was determined, BTOR were once again brought out to find the very best (not just OK) d & e side pairs.  Though it took 6 months, the line performance changed from 2Mbps to well over 5Mbps with a high level of stability.  For a good deal of the time, it was Chris managing the issue.
So do not give up hope just yet!
Kevin

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Chris Pettitt
Chris  -  current routerStats from this morning & Blip noise jpg from yesterday.  Phone line was  noisy, but cured itself once I'd made a call???  I did not reboot router - it reset itself to normal sync.  Cheers Mike
Uptime: 0 days, 10:17:11 
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 864 / 3,968 
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 80.25 / 1.79   
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.8 
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 11.0 
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN 
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 190 / - 
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 67 / -   
Loss of Link (Remote): -   
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3,935 / -   
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 83 / 199,687   
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 64 / 9,931 
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 76,023 generateTasks() 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Mikejstephens
Phone line was  noisy, but cured itself once I'd made a call???

Mike,
That is kind of good news.  Noise = line fault - self clearing = most likely bad joint.
In all of your BTOR visits, would you known if the line has only been tested FROM your end of the line?  Has the line been tested TOWARDS you?  It is not unknown for the LPQ test conducted from the NTE5 to report no fault, only for a fault to show if tested from the cabinet towards the NTE5.
Keep watching the RS graphs.  If you see the SNRM falling, try ringing your phone line from another phone if you can.  Also try just lifting the receiver and replacing it.  See this thread for a similar experience - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125789.0.html
Kevin

Mikejstephens
Grafter

Hi Kevin - as far as I know tests have only been done from my end (amazingly Fridays engineer was from outside the area and didn't know where the exchange was!)  Should I be on ADSL 2 now that the exchange has been updates to 21CN?  It'll be interesting to know if Chris asked for an investigation of the exchange as well as home visit?
Thanks for all your interest.  Cheers  Mike
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You appear to be on 21CN already albeit on ADSL1