cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN Port Disconnecting

Sheppy127
Grafter

Re: LAN PORT DISCONNECTING

Thank you I will give it a read, I must add I’m not technical just a determined mother that won’t let this beat her! 🤣
I have plugged the hub 1 in tonight and it would connect but kept saying UPnP not successful?! Logged in and it says it’s turned on so iv no idea! Plugged hub 2 back in and it worked perfectly for about 2 hours and then randomly dropped again! Iv even moved the router so it’s not in corner of the room, near plugs/sockets, windows you name it!
Yes I have my CCTV cameras via Ethernet too and they do not fault at all.
Where do I stand with plusnet and leaving my contract early so I can try another provider!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

This is not a provider issue.

There is a VERY VERY slim chance of this being a device / Hub Two compatibility issue, but if that were the case, I am sure that @bobpullen would have seen this before.

This is more likely to be an Xbox issue ... having re-read the log you posted, it is reporting that the LAN port is DOWN.  That implies that the connected device disconnected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sheppy127
Grafter

Thank you! Just looked at that Microsoft post. So do I need to plug my laptop into the router and the Xbox into laptop and do the command it suggests to test the port?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is what it seems to suggest, not something I have done myself.

I would also suggest doing some Google research.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sheppy127
Grafter

Iv searched google for the last 2 weeks!
I will try the port testing, we also have another Xbox One in the cupboard not the S but I’m going to get that out and try that too with the same current set up and see! Thank you for your help it’s appreciated!
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

This is the suggested test.

If you have 10/100/1000 network adapter on your PC, simply connect an Ethernet cable between your PC and Xbox One.

This will confirm if the laptop wired connection will negotiate to 1Gb, the result will look something like

C:\>wmic NIC where NetEnabled=true get Name, Speed
Name Speed
Intel(R) 82578DM Gigabit Network Connection 1000000000

If the laptop wired interface negotiates to 1Gb then the Xbox interface will be 1Gb.

This test maybe a red herring as the issue is the inability of the Hub Two to hold the wired connection to the Xbox rather that the speed it is connected at.

Do you see the same disconnects when the laptop is connected to the Hub WIRED? 

HTH

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Dan,

If one were to run that test repeatedly would it be reasonable to see consistent results?

If that is correct and it be sees variable results (as the Hub 2 appears to see) then might one conclude that this is a cable it Xbox lan issue?

A consistent result though would not preclude a hub 2 Xbox interaction issue.

Sheppy127
Grafter

Hi thank you I will try! I’m guessing the laptop has to be connected to the internet to do this? Meaning it will need to ports on the laptop?

No nothing else disconnects like the Xbox does, constant connection for my laptop when plugged in and cctv doesn’t fault either which would make one believe it to be an Xbox fault?
Sheppy127
Grafter

Question,, to rule out the port on the Xbox could I try a usb to Ethernet adapter?Huh
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

No, the laptop only needs to connect to the Xbox.

Logic would point to this being an Xbox LAN port issue, but your approach to fault elimination (taking it elsewhere) kind of introduces room for doubt. What your reference test did not verify is if the speed was changing, without disconnecting the device.

Sheppy127
Grafter

My thoughts too!
No I didn’t test the speed to be honest, I just plugged it in and got him to play online on FIFA and he had no problems. At home he cannot finish a match before it disconnects.
Iv got a usb to Ethernet adapter coming today so il try that and get the old Xbox out too and then look to send this away for repair/fault finding.
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Sheppy127 

"Iv got a usb to Ethernet adapter coming today"

Have you bought an adapter specifically designed for, (or known to work with), the Xbox?

I'm just wondering how you will be able to install the drivers for the adapter if they are not already built in to the Xbox's firmware?

Can an Xbox go online and download drivers like a PC can?

Sheppy127
Grafter

Hey, back again!! 

Had an openreach engineer out today who confirmed we have no issues with our incoming internet line, he did replace some perished cables further up our road that he belived would be the cause of the speed drop. Xbox worked fine with no issues for about 2 hours and then disconnected! 

He tested the LAN port on the xbox whilst here and found no problems with that either ...

WIFI works fine, just lags at times so we have gone back to just using WIFI but the fact we shouldnt have these issues is frustrating me!! 

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Sheppy127 

I take it that the USB ethernet adapter that you said you had bought in message #26 made no difference either?

Sheppy127
Grafter

Nope! as you said the xbox didnt have the drives for it ..