Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a quick question about line stabilising at a set rate

Moominfish
Grafter

Just a quick question about line stabilising at a set rate

Hi,
I'm just wondering about this whole 10 day training period, when have current NEW customers such as paulpicks21 and Nittygritty experienced anything faster than the speed i'm getting at the moment which according to speedtest.net is 3.89 meg connection, and for Plusnet staff does it usually take the full 10 days before the line syncs at the fastest speed it can get?
Thank you

P.S) Just want to also say I think it's brilliant the speed Plusnet staff respond to queries, great job.
17 REPLIES 17
Mand
Grafter

Re: Just a quick question about line stabilising at a set rate

Hi there,
I'm not sure what the first part of that question relates to, but your sync speed will depend on your individual line conditions.
During the training period it's best to reboot once a day, in the morning if possible, as that's when the conditions will be best. This should up your speed if there's anymore to be gained.
Moominfish
Grafter

Thanks for replying, and the 1st part of my question was just something aimed at Nittygritty and paulpicks21 (that's their forum nicknames) who like me have come over to Plusnet recently from Virgin so I was asking them (in case they read this thread) how many days it was till their connection stabilised Smiley
Oh and my line conditions i'm not sure about but I'd think they should be pretty good as when I moved into this house it had no phone line at all so I had a brand new line installed by B.T back in June 2009 so the condition of the line better be good lol because it cost me £122.99 for a new installation!! Oh and i'm also not too far from the exchange 1.03km in fact
nittygritty
Grafter

hi moom, have you tried looking here to see what your line can support,http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php should give u a rough idea of what you can get or expect, type your phone and postcode in, click next then click on the BT ADSL at the side, it will then show you your estimated line speed your lines capable of,
p.s the first day i switched i had great speeds,didnt need to wait for the so called 10 day rule, if your getting 3mb+ now i wouldnt have thought it would shoot up much, after 10 days, suppose it depends on what time of day u using it aswell i suppose, some days u may get higher if u use in daytime, just depends on how far u are away from exchange, if u using master socket, etc etc, all of which have an impact in someway shape or form on how good ur speeds will be. main thing is its not as bad as virgins, lol,
Moominfish
Grafter

Yeah I've ran that and it says it can support up to 6.0mb and when I was with Virgin (when it worked) I got a DownStream Connection Speed often over 7400 kbps where as right now in my router status it's showing a DownStream Connection Speed of 5696 kbps, I also used to download maximum ever speed of about 790 kbps on Virgin.
I'm sure it will sort itself out soon enough, I'm only on day three anyway lol, oh and I'm not far from the exchange at all only 1.03 km.
I agree with you though it's not as bad as Virgin at all!
Moominfish
Grafter

Interesting it says in my router i'm connected at 5696 kbps.

But BT Speedtester says I have an assured rate IP profile of 4000 kbps, is that right?
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IP Profile will be lower than your dsl connection speed.  I'm currently connected at 7616 Kbps with an IP Profile of 2000 Kbps  Sad  I'm waiting for the profile to lift following some instability caused by my BT exchange (again)....  During your 'training period', your speeds should rise in steps unless/until your line becomes unstable.
Chris
paulpicks21
Grafter

Just to add my stats , and these have been the same since day one when I joined plusnet -
From router stats - Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Bt speed tester says my line profile is 7150
And the speed tests always indicate 6.5-6.6 meg

On samknows it states I live 730 mtrs from my exchange.
And if I run a check on BTs website to see what my line can support it says 7meg so I am pretty much bang on with that and happy.
Cheers
Paul.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From reading other posts -  assured rate - it may be that BT have locked the profile
I will flag this up for more visibility
Moominfish
Grafter

Thanks for replying Paul, and Jim,
I've just rebooted my router and it now says DownStream Connection Speed 5728 kbps and just ran that BT speedtester and it still says Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 4000 k so I dunno  Sad I'll just have to see what happens, and why would B.T have locked the profile oldjim? Because with my old ISP (even though they were pretty bad!) I got a better throughput than 4000k.
Here's what the BT speedtester said,
Download speed achieved during the test was - 3583 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 4000 Kbps
Just for the record the connection is stable enough just not as good a throughput as it was when I was with my old ISP.
Thank you
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have no idea why the profile could be locked - it seems to be a recent change to the automated systems.
It may be related to the future change to 21CN where banded profiles appear to be causing some annoyance
Moominfish
Grafter

So is it BT who locks these profiles then? Or Plusnet being the ISP? Because if I'm correct BT own Plusnet don't they? Lol.
Will check back later anyway, got things to see and people to (well you get the idea) lol Tongue
Thanks for replying
Oldjim
Resting Legend

To clarify - BT Retail own Plusnet
BT Wholesale (or is it BT Openreach) are the ones who create the IP Profile and also lock them  Roll_eyes
Moominfish
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
During the training period it's best to reboot once a day, in the morning if possible, as that's when the conditions will be best. This should up your speed if there's anymore to be gained.

I rebooted my router this morning at 10:30am and i'm connected with a downstream speed @ 5696 kbps but I won't see that speed if my IP profile is locked at 4000 kbps and oldjim said he would flag this up for higher visibility so could someone from Plusnet please look into this for me and I'll check back later see what's what.
Thank you.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The profile on your line is correct due to a recent sync at 4544, this was last night at approximately 8.45pm. As you synced back at that speed, the 3 day period for increasing the IP profile has reset and started again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.