cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet disconnections....

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Internet disconnections....

For sometime we have had "internet disconnected" messages and it seem to be worse when it rains, but it varies the solution has been to switch off and on the router/modem (Netgear34). But the disconnect would happen again and again.

Over the past month or two InstalCOM have been digging up the pavement along the road where I live and installing new cables, I don't know what the cables are for. There is a Virgin cabinet adjacent to the house.

The funny thing is throughout the time the holes were in the pavement (2 weeks), the broadband connection worked fine, no disconnects, no having to switch off the router/modem.

But as soon as the hole outside the house was filled in problems began again firstly watching BBC iplayer, would get the spinning wheel, every 10-15 seconds so the video is stop/go.

Today the return of the dreaded random 'internet disconnected' message and having to switch off/on the router/modem.

It did rain heavily today but it rained when there were holes in the pavement and there were no problems.

To add to my woes two televisions can see the wifi network but have decided they can't connect to the router/modem, 2 other TV's continue to connect to the network.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Re: Internet disconnections....

@christmas I assume you mean Netgear DG834 - a very old piece of kit? are you still on an ADSL connection? It could be the modem/router is on its last legs, or it could be the work has disturbed you cabling somehow.

John
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Not a netgear834.

The router/modem is called "Nighthawk" with 3 aerials says Netgear34 on the bottom.

I assume ADSL, no idea, not fibre.

jab1
Legend

OK. IIRC that is not an easy piece of kit to kit to get useful data off, so I suggest you follow this script:

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

You won't get a response now till after 8AM tomorrow.

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

John
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Tried 17070...the line seems quiet, will report broadband issue later today. 

christmas
Aspiring Pro

The dual band router/modem appears to be playing up...have 5G but devices using 2G can no longer see the router. Have ordered a new router/modem.

Will put reporting a broadband problem on hold for now.

Is there a simple way to identify were a fault lies, ie the device, the modem/router or the broadband connection?

jab1
Legend

@christmas wrote:

Is there a simple way to identify were a fault lies, ie the device, the modem/router or the broadband connection?

Do the 2Ghz devices work? Difficult to answer, but I think you can rule out the connection if some devices still communicate.

John
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Replaced the Netgear Modem/Router with a TP-Link AC2100 all devices now connecting to the router and internet, no interuptions so far. Amart TV's seem to be quicker connecting to iPlayer etc.

Hopefully the issues have been resolved.