cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection drops

Vaeleia

Internet connection drops

Hello,
I haven't been with plusnet very long (just about a month now) and in general, I'm happy with the service. But I experienced some really really short disconnections to the internet from the start, which occured from time to time. As they were really short and the internet started working again about 10 seconds later, I can't really tell you how often that happened, as I obviously only noticed it while I was trying to load a new page at the very moment the connection dropped. As my computer isn't near to the router, I haven't been able to check whether or not the lights were down. I only saw the broadbandlight flashing once, but also just for a short time. Anyway, I phoned your service and was told that there is nothing you could see and was sent a new router. After I installed it, I think it worked fine again (as least I didn't notice any connection losses, although as I told you, they were so short, they might have been there anyway). But yesterday during the morning, I had a really long disconnection (compared to before) for about 15 to 20 minutes, in which the internet light was red or completely died out. I restarted the router with no effect and changed the filter - no effect either. At some point it just connected again and for the rest of the day it was fine. But today I experienced the very same thing for even over an hour. After the internet light got steady again I tried using the internet but that only worked after I did a connection check on the router which told me there was no connection. All very confusing. Anyway, it is now working again, but I'm wondering if that has either something to do with the connection losses I experienced before or if there is a problem with plusnet or anything else? Should I just wait and see or is there something I could do?
Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Internet connection drops

Hi Vaeleia,
I presume you're using wireless, so what I'd suggest is that when you lose connection, before rebooting the router, try plugging in with an ethernet cable. It may be that your wireless is dropping out - although, I realise from your post that this won't have always been the case. However over the last couple of days we have seen some connectivity issues, as described in our service status.
Jojo Smiley
Vaeleia

Thanks for your answer, but I'm actually using a cable (and have all the time with this computer) and there was no difference between the cable and the wifi when this disonnections happened. But I've followed your link (didn't find that myself, apologies for that) and looking at the times when there've been broadband connectivity issues I guess this was the problem rather than with my hardware, at least for the last two days with the long disconnections. It was also only for the last two days that the internet light turned red or died completely. So I guess that was a plusnet problem after all and hope that the problem with the really brief disconnections is resolved due to the new router :).
Thank you for your help! Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Vaeleia,
You're welcome. Do let us know of there's anything else we can help you with.
Oh, and welcome to Plusnet and the forums.
Jojo Smiley