cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Outage in November. Poor Connection ever since.

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Internet Outage in November. Poor Connection ever since.

@Paula7

Cheers for the detailed update!

Excellent! I'm also glad to see the lift and shift worked. I'm really sorry for the hassle you've been through.

Out of interest, it would be good to see what the RouterStats looks like now when you receive calls.

I'd imagine the engineers have their own processes to notify the relevant people that an exchange line card is faulty once they've moved a line off it, but I've just checked with our suppliers helpdesk and that is indeed the case.  

I'll also respond to your ticket 221177413 shortly for you Smiley

[edit]

Would you like me to drop the SNRM target back down to 6dB and turn off interleaving, as these changes didn't help? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Gandalf

Does a lift n shift put the service onto a different exchange line card?

My understanding of terminology might be flawed but I thought the line card was the point which “joins” voice and data onto the line and the lift n shift referred to the data connection (tails?) on to the DSLM port?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Townman 

I've actually discussed with suppliers in a little more detail earlier this morning. 

It turns out my understanding was flawed as well. Never trust a wizard...Roll_eyes Tongue

A Lift & Shift is the same as a TPM (Tie Pair Modification), the only difference is that for the latter, BTw can place an order for an engineer to carry out the work, rather than rely on the engineer doing it on the back of a fault visit. 

In either case, the work may be to a different port on the same line card, or to a different line card altogether. 

The old port is then marked as faulty and when they start to run out of capacity, they'll attempt a repair or replace the card, which is very rare nowadays I'm told, with the increasingly number of people moving onto fibre, where possible. 

It looks like here the engineer moved the service to a different port on the same line card, as to move it onto a different card, they'd need to co-op with BTw by calling them, and there are no notes to suggest BTw have been involved.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet