cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection problem - A cautionary tale!

dawson
Dabbler

Internet Connection problem - A cautionary tale!

Hi folks,
I thought i'd post this up, just in case anyone else has this issue.
After being a long-time Force9 customer, I opted to change my product to increase my data allowance - at the time of switch over to the other product I lost my internet connection.
After several reboots of my router, I still couldn't connect - I contacted support, who told me that my password was wrong (which I hadn't touched for 18months, when this router was originally set up)
I retyped the password to satisfy the request, but still couldn't connect - I contacted support again, who then initiated a line test as I couldn't connect with the BT test user login details either.
The BT test came back as No Fault found.
My thinking was that my account had been 'broken' as I was transferred to the new service.
After spending some time at work, reading through the Plusnet support pages I spotted something
Connection Type: PPPoA
My router was set to use PPPoE.... and had been for the past 18months... Presumably, the service I had been switched to, was much more picky on the settings!
once i set it to PPPoA and rebooted the router, it then connected, luckily it was only 2 days without service, and no great loss.
It was only because I was able to get online at work that I spotted this setting and thought "hang on a minute... my router is set to something else.." that I was able to cure the issue.
I'll shut up now...
cheers
dawson