cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent slow performance and high ping

MisterPlusBoy
Dabbler

Intermittent slow performance and high ping

I typically get download in high 30Mbps (router reports 40, speed test 38) and ping of a very consistent 13-15ms. I run a continuous ping due to ongoing issues and several times a day, we get poor performance characterised by the speed dropping and the ping jumping up to 500ms.

Typically this might last 30s, but often we get into a period where it bounces from 15ms to 500 for half an hour - every time it seems normal again, a minute later it's bad. I do a lot of remote desktop work so ping is very noticeable.

We've not been able to get anywhere with support beyond replacing the router (the new v2 one) and factory resetting. A physical fault on our line was fixed recently but that had totally different symptoms - this has been going for a few months now. My suspicion is it's on the server end not the connection but I don't know how to prove that. PN say they can't see anything and since it's so intermittent it relies on me recording data. Other than running ping are there other things I can test and record to either help see what's wrong, or provide to PN to help them?

ps: when I run a continuous ping I've checked it's not the specific website... sometimes I use google or BBC, right now I used my naked primary DNS IP... exact same results during a bad patch.

5 REPLIES 5
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Re: Intermittent slow performance and high ping

Hey there @MisterPlusBoy 

Sorry to see the connection has been poor recently. Which router is it that you are using? Is the ping just as bad wired as it is wireless? Guessing it's happening on all devices as well?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterPlusBoy
Dabbler

Goog question, I happened to catch it during a blip and tested using my phone - same results. My continuous ping is running on a wired PC, and the router is a new PlusNet Hub 2

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Let me have a gander at it for you.

Please can you provide the username? Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterPlusBoy
Dabbler

I'm mentioning it to staff on Twitter each time without getting anywhere - are you in the same dept or have you more in depth access to stats, logging, etc? Did you want to DM me for details if so, I probably shouldn't post it publicly Smiley 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MisterPlusBoy  Click on Will Cutforth's name in his post then in the Contact me area on the far right there is the send private message box.