cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection dropout

wilton1968
Hooked

Intermittent connection dropout

I am hoping someone can help me or PlusNet with an issue I seem to be experiencing on an intermittent basis recently

On occasions I have noticed that I lose my wireless connection where the blue status bar on the front of the router changes to orange for a minute or so before the connection is restored and it changes back to blue.  I have been fortunate enough to be one of those people who, throughout COVID, I have had to work onsite in the office rather than at home however my wife has not had the pleasure of being in office and has had to work from home.  Her job means many online meetings which, initially, was not an issue and the connection seemed to be pretty stable, however, recently she has noticed it intermittently dropped out during the day and could be during an important meeting (as it was a couple of days ago) and I have noticed it does it in the evening also.  There is no time window when it will drop and will not drop, to our knowledge, every day but we don't sit in front of the router watching it all day so it is possible it does but we don't actually notice it.  The connection has been great up until recently and the only thing that has changed was the router when we renewed our contract approx 1 year ago

As it is an intermittent fault I do feel the issue may lie with the router rather than wiring and wondered if you are able to check your end to see if anything appears.  The 2 occasions when I noticed it dropped was approx 13:30 on Sunday and 21:30 last night but it may be more frequent than this.  I haven't plugged my old router back in to test or done a phone test with the test socket but this will be the next course of action for me

Could PlusNet please check to see if there is anything showing up on the line as it is likely to get worse rather than better which isn't ideal with my wife working from home

Many thanks

10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Intermittent connection dropout

Hi there @wilton 1968, 

I'm sorry about the disconnections you've been experiencing, whereas our logs are showing that the connection is dropping quite frequently line tests aren't showing us any obvious causes. Can you try following the checks shown here as your next step please? https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

"On occasions I have noticed that I lose my wireless connection where the blue status bar on the front of the router changes to orange for a minute or so before the connection is restored and it changes back to blue."

The mention that the router lights change colour means that this is not a WiFi problem but a broadband issue.

What self help tests have you done?  You indicate that this is an intermittent issue, so there is more than a fair chance that when tested, Plusnet will not be able to identify (encounter) an issue.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Can you correlate the drops to the use of the telephone?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wilton1968
Hooked

Good afternoon

Apologies for the lengthy delay getting back with an update. I have swapped my router back to my old fibre router that is connected to the BT Openreach modem. As far as I could see in the 3 days it’s been connected I’ve had no issues with drop outs as no messages have appeared and all lights appear to remain green. What have I checked:

Phone line clear
Cables plugged in correctly
No micro filter used as have a double socket master socket
Close to wall but same spot as old router and not had any issues before
Service status checked
Home phone hardly used but not affected
Reset not carried out as it generally works fine
No specific times it drops - it can be fine all day then suddenly drop 3 or 4 times in an hour

I feel the issue might be with the router as nothing else seems apparent but Plusnet may be able to confirm. I currently have the latest router back in place that I have an issue with and so far no issues but will update in the next day or so

Hope this information helps identify the issue
wilton1968
Hooked

Hi

For your information, the current router has been plugged in for approximately 5 minutes and the connection has already dropped but, as previously, automatically reconnects

Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

"I have swapped my router back to my old fibre router that is connected to the BT Openreach modem."

That's an important clarification, without which we are at risk of giving inaccurate advice.

What routers do you have?

If you have a VDSL router (for example a Plusnet Hub One) then connect it direct to the telephone and ditch the BT Openreach Modem.  The less technology involved here, the easier it is to locate the problem.  The BTOR modem does not provide access to the line stats which are essential to understand what is happening here.

Do the QLT tests frequently - noise can be intermittent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wilton1968
Hooked

I do have my VDSL router connected and NOT the BTOR modem
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ah then your previous post was a bit ambiguous.

Can you please post the line stats.

wilton1968
Hooked

Unfortunately, I don’t know what you mean by ‘the line stays’ or where I get them! Pleas can you advise. Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Look at the help desk page.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@wilton1968 To expand on @Townman 's message above, just in case you don't know how to find it:

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

John