Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent PPP connection drops --TP-Link TD-W8960N Router

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Intermittent PPP connection drops --TP-Link TD-W8960N Router

Oh that is just typical of Sky "engineers". Yes it definitely needs a filter. They even have the cheek to tell some people one isn't needed. I wonder if it's so when customers complain they have problems with broadband "after you fitted my sky box" they'll turn round and say well if you had our broadband this wouldn't happen. Absolute nerve.
Fifer
Grafter

Hi
I have put a filter on the socket the router is connected to and rebooted the router. There has never been a phone line connected to the Sky box since it was installed.  As it is a single box and not a Multi-room contract the engineer said they don't bother about a phone line being connected, whether that's true or not i don't know. If i want to use the interactive service on the box i will have to connect a phone line to it and of course filter this socket.
The engineer left a 10 mtr phone extension cable if i decided to connect it up, so if i don't get a letter from Sky their won't be a phone line connected.
I will monitor the connection for a week or so and see if it remains stable or not.
Thanks for your help and everyone else for their help.
Ron
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Fifer,
Just read through everything again. Did the problems start after the Sky+ HD box was installed? Unfortunately some of them do have a reputation for chucking out a load of interference.
Have a look at your stats, the line I've highlighted is the one to watch -

Downstream   Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):   On   On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):   89   220
Attenuation (0.1 dB):   290   105
Output Power (0.1 dBm):   198   121
Attainable Rate (Kbps):   9664   1136

Try and do this in the day when other background noise levels are likely to be lower. Note the figures, If the Sky box is on, turn it off, wait about 30 seconds, refresh the stats page and note the figures. Or visa versa if the box was off, but wait for it to fully "boot" for want of a better description, before refreshing the stats page and noting the figures.
If the find that left hand figure is higher when the box is off, it's causing problems.
Make sure that the feed from the satellite dish and mains cable and interconnecting cables are not running close or parallel to your phone line or any of your computer equipment or cables, including the modem/router.
Oh,and if you are not using your wireless connection, turn it off.
Fifer
Grafter

Hi
The Sky box was installed on the 19th March, I don't think the problem started that long ago, but as the resyncs are random and infrequent it is possible i missed them.
I have noted all your points and will check the Downstream SNR Margin when the box is on and off.
Ron