cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial Connection Speeds and other issues

mad3913

Initial Connection Speeds and other issues

Hi all,
First time poster on here so go easy on me.
I had my Fibre Unlimited service installed on Friday (3 days ago) and I am getting the following speeds.
www.speedtest.net:
9ms Ping response
37.34Mbps Download
7.47Mbps Upload
speedtest.btwholesale.com
22.00 ping latency
38.03Mbps Download
7.33 Mbps upload
The further test at BTwholesale show that my IP Profile is:
38.91Mbps download
and 20Mbps upload
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed shows the following:
Estimated line speed: 52Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)  - Checked on 2013-05-07 13:12:13I was estimated when I signed up speeds of 52 Mbps (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit).
Current line speed:78 Mb
When the engineer had fitted the sockets and hooked everything up I told him of the speeds I was getting and he said that at the exchange he was getting the full 80/20, and my issues might be due to some aluminium cabling on the way from the cabinet to my premises.
I still have my previous cable internet connection active until 6/6/2013 so unless I can get some resolution before that date I will probably have to switch back.
Also, my router (not modem) drops connection quite frequently saying "concentrator could not be reached"
And finally, when I do a reverse lookup on my IP address (I got a static one from the member center) I get a hostname that is the name of my account, I got the static IP address so that I could run a server from home, the reverse lookup needs to be the same as the outgoing server or various services will fail, can you please remove this dns domain name from my static IP and let the lookup go back to my nameservers please.
All in all, not very impressed so far.
Regards,
David
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Initial Connection Speeds and other issues

Hi there,
Sorry to hear you're not too impressed with how things have gone so far, we'll obviously do all we can to help but please do bear in mind at the speed of a new fibre installation can and most likely will vary for the first few days. I'd advise raising a fault after the first 10 days if there's no improvement: http://faults.plus.net
Also, my router (not modem) drops connection quite frequently saying "concentrator could not be reached"

If that continues to happen I'd also urge raising a fault, the router handles authentication rather than the modem but I'd not worry too much as I can see a high number of "password incorrect" attempts logged before you successfully made a connection. I can see a lot of forced disconnections so I'd advise avoiding that and do a soft disconnection by logging into the router first rather than rebooting.
And finally, when I do a reverse lookup on my IP address (I got a static one from the member center) I get a hostname that is the name of my account, I got the static IP address so that I could run a server from home, the reverse lookup needs to be the same as the outgoing server or various services will fail, can you please remove this dns domain name from my static IP and let the lookup go back to my nameservers please

That's unusual but sorry to hear that too all the same. I've just checked and the reverse DNS for your IP is set correctly at present but let me know specifically what that needs to be and I'll make sure it's changed appropriately.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mad3913

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi there,
Sorry to hear you're not too impressed with how things have gone so far, we'll obviously do all we can to help but please do bear in mind at the speed of a new fibre installation can and most likely will vary for the first few days. I'd advise raising a fault after the first 10 days if there's no improvement: http://faults.plus.net

The only issue with that is that my other service terminates on the 6th.
If that continues to happen I'd also urge raising a fault, the router handles authentication rather than the modem but I'd not worry too much as I can see a high number of "password incorrect" attempts logged before you successfully made a connection. I can see a lot of forced disconnections so I'd advise avoiding that and do a soft disconnection by logging into the router first rather than rebooting.

The numerous bad password requests were from a misconfigured Cisco ASA5505 I am setting up to put on that line, at the moment the PlusNet supplied Technicolour router is in place.
That's unusual but sorry to hear that too all the same. I've just checked and the reverse DNS for your IP is set correctly at present but let me know specifically what that needs to be and I'll make sure it's changed appropriately.

At the moment doing a ping -a on it returns "mad3813.plus.com" at the moment I haven't changed my nameservers to point to that IP but when I do it should resolve to "genesisbbs.org" or similar.
I have just checked my service again and the download speed has gone down....it is now:
speedtest.net
15ms ping
34.63 Mbps download
7.29Mbps upload
speedtest.btwholesale.com
28.13 ping latency
35.17Mbps Download
7.13 Mbps upload
The further test at BTwholesale show that my IP Profile is:
38.91Mbps download
and 20Mbps upload
mad3913

Sorry, but I am getting anxious now..
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Adam,
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I'd advise raising a fault after the first 10 days if there's no improvement: http://faults.plus.net

Your response does not challenge the perspective that the synch speed is low rather than the data transfer rate which might be impacted by testing over WiFi or any number of other things.
Why does the subscriber with an apparently defective service (receiving only 65% of estimated synch speed) need to wait 10 days before they can report a fault?  IIRC fibre (unlike ADSL) does NOT have a 10 day training period, therefore is it actually likely to improve during those 10 days?  Even with ADSL, is it not the case that the training period attempts to deliver the maximum synch speed and trains DOWN to what is sustainable?  The only merit in waiting would be in a regime where the training profile started from low synch speed and gradually worked up to a point where the service becomes unstable and then backs off.  If this process does not apply to fibre then there is no merit in waiting as there will be no change / improvement.
Waiting 10 days before raising a ticket plus 48 hours for PN faults to review the results and then schedule a BTOR visit is likely to result in 21+ days before the user might see an improvement in their service.  If this '10 day back off' is a BT rule the they need a good kick up the rear-end - this does not improve the customer experience!
Regards,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm sure Adam didn't actually mean to put the 10 day comment in there and it was just from the amount of times he's said it on ADSL previously.
@mad3913
I'd suggest raising a fault now using the link Adam's provided you. We'll do what we can to get the speed to match the estimate.
The rDNS record, have you set up a matching forward DNS record? If not then we can't change it to that domain.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mad3913

Ok, thanks, I'm going to log a fault now.
Although the person I spoke to on the phone about 1 hour after the engineer left my premises said the same about the 10 day "bedding in" period. Maybe a CS training refresher might be in order Tongue
Anyway, thanks for the input.
I haven't got anything pointing to this IP as yet, that's all being done tomorrow (I just got my ASA 5505 working with the PlusNet connection so I can get all my PAT rules in places now)
mad3913

Quote from: townman
Adam,
Your response does not challenge the perspective that the synch speed is low rather than the data transfer rate which might be impacted by testing over WiFi or any number of other things.
Why does the subscriber with an apparently defective service (receiving only 65% of estimated synch speed) need to wait 10 days before they can report a fault?  IIRC fibre (unlike ADSL) does NOT have a 10 day training period, therefore is it actually likely to improve during those 10 days?  Even with ADSL, is it not the case that the training period attempts to deliver the maximum synch speed and trains DOWN to what is sustainable?  The only merit in waiting would be in a regime where the training profile started from low synch speed and gradually worked up to a point where the service becomes unstable and then backs off.  If this process does not apply to fibre then there is no merit in waiting as there will be no change / improvement.
Waiting 10 days before raising a ticket plus 48 hours for PN faults to review the results and then schedule a BTOR visit is likely to result in 21+ days before the user might see an improvement in their service.  If this '10 day back off' is a BT rule the they need a good kick up the rear-end - this does not improve the customer experience!
Regards,
Kevin

Kevin,
Thanks for your input on this and it confirmed what i thought 🙂
Regards,
David
hypnoboy
Grafter

This is practically identical to the issue I am having and have been told that i have a copper / aluminium line and that BT will not fix the issue without there being A LOT of complaints from other users in this area. I am supposed to be getting 29 meg for this area, yet I am lucky if I get 6 meg. I am waiting for Luke in faults to pick up the notes from the weekend and get back to mel
Yet at the moment I feel this will be an ongoing battle and one which BT will be a royal pain in the backside as changing the cable that is causing the issue will cost them too much money.
However I will not give up on this as I am currently paying for a service which I am not receiving due to BT NOT doing anything about it, yet advertising fibre is available and I am currently running on the above lines and also had the 10 day spiel.
The saga continues,
Regards
Craig