cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasingly getting "access denied" from some websites - IP range blocking?

paulh
Rising Star

Increasingly getting "access denied" from some websites - IP range blocking?

Started a few days ago, with being unable to access any of the sites owned by JD Sports - so blacks.co.uk/gooutdoors.co.uk/millets.co.uk.

Today, I can't checkout on pay.ebay.co.uk.

Example s/s attached.

I use Vivaldi, but I've also tested with Firefox & PaleMoon with same results.

(Note that I'm accessing via https but the response page states http, but this may just be an outdated bit of html.)

However, if I go in via a VPN or using Tor Browser (essentially the same thing, masking my 87.xxx.xxx.xxx Plusnet address), all these sites are open to me.

This might suggest that the problem lies with the 87.xxx.xxx.xxx address which may be being blacklisted somewhere?

I'm going to reboot my router anyway & see if I can pick up an IP from a different range, as this is just really inconvenient.

2 REPLIES 2
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Increasingly getting "access denied" from some websites - IP range blocking?

Hi @paulh, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble trying to access some specific pages. Upon looking over your connection I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to access those pages. Checking the geolocation of the IP that's looking fine also. When testing your connection it looks to have caused a drop however luckily this looks to have changed your assigned IP which was the next thing I was going to advise we try. As you now have a new IP assigned then I'd suggest trying to access the pages now and seeing if the issue persists. Let us know how it goes.

paulh
Rising Star

Re: Increasingly getting "access denied" from some websites - IP range blocking?

I'd already dropped my connection & restarted the router & it did indeed correct the issue; this confirmed that the issue lay with the IP and not my network (as it had also worked using a VPN or Tor on the address I previously had)

However if you're going to mess around with my connection in future, please have the courtesy to warn me in advance as I have servers running here that rely on reliable internet connections.

The problem has to lie with IP ranges and thus I would suggest your networks team needs to check it out. You'll be able to find my past IP addresses from your logs, and so you can establish at least some of the ranges which are causing problems.

If I run into this again I'll raise a ticket.