Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile stuck?

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: IP Profile stuck?

The modify order has gone through and you're now on the 80/20 profile although I can also see there's no increase in speed. We're going to push this back to our suppliers for further investigation.
shadowff6
Grafter

I've been asked to provide a time for a BT engineer to come round. I've responded to the ticket on the main site yesterday, asking if it was possible for the engineer to come on Thursday (9th) afternoon, as I can get this off work. I'm unsure if this is a little late to be booking the engineer for such short notice though. If I could get a response on if this is possible that would be good. I wouldn't want to leave work early if an engineer won't be arriving.
Thanks!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi shadowff6,
That's booked in for tomorrow(9th) afternoon 1pm - 6pm.
shadowff6
Grafter

Hey. Just received an SMS saying its booked for AM. Could you confirm it's actually booked for PM? Thanks!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ahhh my bad, yep it's PM Smiley
shadowff6
Grafter

Thanks Chris! Much appreciation for the reply so late in the day  Wink
shadowff6
Grafter

The engineer came out today and was a little confused as to why he was here after doing some tests/resetting the line.
I tried to explain what he was here for (he had no idea) and I showed him the info in the fault question that I have open. He tested the line and saw that I was getting a 40/2 connection (he also commented on the line being very very good and that he expected I would see a full 80/20 when the issue is fixed). He gave somebody a call and asked for the line to be reset (as mentioned in the fault) and the speeds again came through at 40/2. He told me that the issue must be that I'm not being given 80/20 by my CP (you?). He also said to mention that there was no star wiring..although I'm not really sure what this means!
I'm not 100% about the technicalities, but he mentioned something about there being 4 different things. 2 of these things were saying I was on an 80/20 connection and 2 were saying I was on a 40/2. I appreciate that that might not be very helpful at all.
He then spoke to his boss and they both agreed that the line must be set at 40/2 by you and that it seemed likely from past experience that there was possibly a spelling mistake somewhere that was preventing the speed from being changed to 80/20.
Any response would be appreciated!
Thanks.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've checked your connection and it is set to 80/20, I've placed a modify order to move over to 40/10 and when this completes tomorrow I will place another order to revert you back to 80/20 in the hope it may change for you.
shadowff6
Grafter

Just checked the speed today with the BT speed test (further diagnostics) and the IP profile for the upload is still set to 20Mb/s, which has always been the case. Being switched to a 40/10 product, I would have expected this to lower to 10Mb/s. I'm wondering if this means that the order for 40/10 has not gone through properly?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It appears that the Upstream profile says 20Mbps whatever, so is a bit useless. Only the Downstream Profile is useful.
njay
Grafter

There may be a change in upload speed though as previously he was less than 2mbs upload on the btw speed test so if that increases (whilst still showing 20mbs) it would indicate that the regrade to 40/10 was successful?
shadowff6
Grafter

It stayed exactly the same as before - 40/2.  Sad
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Did either of the download or upload speeds change at all and did the Downstream Profile change at all?
Oh, I've just realised one thing that it would have been helpful to mention -
If you want to ensure you get an accurate Profile from the BT Tester and ultimately your Current Line speed (Login required), you need to login to the Router, drop the PPP Internet session by clicking Disconnect, wait about 30seconds and then click Connect. This will initiate an update to the relevant servers.
Also note, the Current Line Speed at the member centre is initially set at the default value of 78Mbps for FTTC 80/20 (at 38Mbps for 40/10 IIRC). This will update in due course to match the BT IP Profile.
Doing the Disconnect/Connect will also mean you generally hop to another Gateway at Plusnet, which is something you may want to try if there are instances of persistent problems with slow downs or increased ping, just to check if it's Gateway related.
HTH.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've raised an escalation with our suppliers to investigate this further, as soona s we have an update we'll let you know via your fault ticket.