Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile speed drop

FIXED
Nontecky
Grafter

Re: IP Profile speed drop

Thank you for the graph.

If I am reading it correctly, most of the dropouts are between mid-night and 6am, when I would not have noticed it happening.

So perhaps that is why the DLM is dropping the speed?

I noticed that there is another thread on this forum from someone else that has a similar issue..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/My-speeds-have-dropped-since-fibre-upgrade/td-p/184392...

What could cause this to happen during the night? There is nothing in the house that would be causing that at those times. The PC is switched off at the floor when not in use.

Our house is about 5 miles from the exchange, with the fibre cabinet about half a mile away. Then copper underground to a pole in the road and overground to another pole just outside our property.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to me! 

The drops during those times could have been caused by some maintenance. It does look like the speed did drop further around the 12th when quite a few drops had occurred. 

I have retested the line today and whilst the profile is still at 44mb, the sync speed has dropped to 38mb so no longer being banded. The speed is still above the minimum guaranteed (though edging closer to it!). 

I know you mentioned you are currently in the master socket, are you able to connect into the test socket behind the face plate? This will rule out any internal wiring issues. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Nontecky
Grafter

Hi Lauren,

Please see attached speed test file done this morning. The speed has dropped again.

I have already done all the usual tests as I mentioned before, including using the test socket.

I had a similar problem last year. An Openreach engineer could not find a fault in my house. At that time he told me that Plusnet could have corrected the issue without calling him out. He reset (something) and all was well.

I don't understand why I have been enjoying 50-55Mbs for months until recently.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Nontecky  you say you have done usual checks, but no mention of how your phone line is. Is it quiet when you dial 17070?

Are there any crackles on the line?

Nontecky
Grafter

Hi Mustrum,

Thank you for the suggestion, I did not know about that number 17070.

I am not that technical, when I rang that number I was given various test options...... I don't know which one to use.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You want option 2 Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Nontecky
Grafter

OK did that "Quiet Line Test", held on for about 30 seconds....all sounded quiet.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @Nontecky, thanks for getting in touch again and I'm sorry to hear tat you're still having problems with your service. I think there's something else at play here, and that the line isn't banded. Tests today show the profile to be Downstream: 0.128M-44M with Retransmission (High). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection, while the sync speed is stuck at 39999Kbps. 
What troubleshooting have you done on your end can I ask? If you've already gone through our troubleshooting steps found here, I'd be inclined to raise the matter with Openreach, and arrange an engineer visit. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Nontecky
Grafter

Hi Adam,

Well firstly. you say that the line profile at the moment is 44Mbps. If you look at my earlier posts I have supplied a screenshot showing that it was at 60Mbps and I was getting around 50Mps regularly.

There has been an Openreach engineer working at the local cabinet and in the ground recently. I don't know if this is just coincidence? The engineer said he was replacing corroded connections.

As far as tests are concerned, the phone line is quiet, I have the Home Hub 5 router connected to the master socket. The PC is connected to the router by ethernet. I have tested via the test socket under the faceplate. There are no sources of interference nearby. Cables have been changed. I don't have another modem / router to try.

At Plusnet, do you have logged records to show the profile over the past few months?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks a lot for getting back to me @Nontecky, I never doubted the speeds that you say you were getting, or the validity of the screenshots that you're previously posted. I'm telling you what I can see on the line today, based on line tests and an RRT (shows historical data). 

After liaising with my colleagues however, we feel that 39999Mbps on the RRT is too much of a round number to be coincidental, and that the line is potentially now banded at 40Mbps. 

Can you please run a speed test and let me know what you're getting now? 

Adam
Nontecky
Grafter

Hi Adam,

As my username suggests, I am not technical, I am just reporting what I observe and asking for advice.

I attach the latest screenshot, which shows the line profile seems to have dropped again.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks a loti for your response @Nontecky, yeah the speed test attached ties in with what we can see on our end. It looks like one of my colleagues has raised a DLM reset request on Wednesday, so let's see whether this helps, these requests can take up to three working days to complete once they're passed across to our suppliers. Smiley 

Adam
Nontecky
Grafter

The DLM seems to have been reset, see attached file.

I will monitor the progress over the next few weeks.

Can anyone tell me how to avoid the DLM dropping again please?  The recent report provided by Plusnet shows the line drops after midnight. Are these line drops out of my control?

Would it be better if I use the Hub Manager and disconnect it overnight?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Nontecky I wouldn't disconnect overnight, no. Hubs are designed to be left on 24/7/365. Any disconnects could be seen by DLM as a problem, and therefore fool it in to replicating your recent problems.

The best idea is to leave it alone and report any further drops .

John
Nontecky
Grafter

Sorry guys, I'm back here again.

So, after having had the DLM reset (I am assured), my download speed went back up to around 50 mB/s. But just over the past 10 days it has gradually crept back down to 38 mB/s.

There has been an Openreach engineer working at the fibre cabinet and underground near to me. He said it was to replace corroded connections. A co-incidence perhaps?

I called Plusnet yesterday and spoke to Sal in Leeds. He tested the line, found no faults and said the line was not banded and that the DLM had been reset. He also looked at any dropped connections, but could only see a couple of times over the past month.

I attach a screenshot showing the latest test, which shows my IP Profile at 40 mB/s.

I accept that this figure is above the minimum guaranteed, but should I expect better than this?