cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think we've got a fault!

wykehamhouse
Grafter

Re: I think we've got a fault!

Here's a typical view of what the SNRM is like. It is quite bouncy, but not any more than I have seen from other users.
By the way, how do you do ES monitoring in RouterStats with a TG582N? I cannot seem to find the option.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Quote from: Susie
Didn't happen at 6PM tonight, but still happened, just earlier.
Got an OR engineer coming on Monday AM, who may or may not find anything. From past experience, even if we'd chosen the evening slot he wouldn't be here at 6PM when it's most likely to happen.

This graph shows a number of things which are not good!
Your day / night SNRM shift is quite high - 3 to 4 db - I'd not expect that to be more than 2.5.
The mid afternoon dip is most definitely something being switched on somewhere.
Post 17:30 (at this resolution) it is difficult to know what is attributable to the suspect REIN and night time MW interference.
The 23:15 blip is something being turned off somewhere!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

We live in a small village, so is no overhead lighting, etc. but there is a pub/restaurant about 1000m by line length away from us, on the way to the exchange.
In terms of my equipment, I have previously turned off everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in my house (except the router and a laptop PC to monitor the stats: I verified this not to be the cause either) when this issue happened and it made no difference AT ALL.

Ah right we are talking rural area!  Welcome to my world - probably got poor quality D-Side circuits, possibly aluminium - ask the BTOR engineer if there is aluminium anywhere in your D-Side pair.
You could go ask the pub if they have electrical equipment switched on / off around the time you see the problems.  Consider external lighting as a candidate.  it would be useful if you can fined a friend nearby willing to set up RouterStats monitoring.  A couple of separate examples in the locality might add weight to BTOR investigation.  One person complaining will not have the impact you need for a proper fix.
Here's a typical view of what the SNRM is like. It is quite bouncy, but not any more than I have seen from other users.
By the way, how do you do ES monitoring in RouterStats with a TG582N? I cannot seem to find the option.

This plot is for night time with MW interference.  I'd like to see what the back ground noise looks like in the day time.  I agree that this is normal for the time shown, but daytime should be much cleaner.
Not sure what you mean by ES monitoring.
Have you got full RouterStats or RouterStatsLite?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wykehamhouse
Grafter

Quote from: townman
Post 17:30 (at this resolution) it is difficult to know what is attributable to the suspect REIN and night time MW interference.

Here we go: zoomed in much more.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

This plot is for night time with MW interference.  I'd like to see what the back ground noise looks like in the day time.  I agree that this is normal for the time shown, but daytime should be much cleaner.

As requested...
Have you got full RouterStats or RouterStatsLite?

RouterStats (full).
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Should the Upstream SNRM vary this much?
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Engineer has been and gone and surprise, surprise, didn't find anything.
What's next then?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It'll be to refer it back to BT I'm afraid, looks like we need to push for an SFI who can investigate the source of the interference - though not sure what we can do about getting the engineer there for 6pm so he can see it happen. Have you been able to check around for the source of the interference with a medium wave radio, as per http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm ?
wykehamhouse
Grafter

I have and there is nothing in my home causing the problem (I even turned off the whole house except the router which made no difference).
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Can we try and get this done this week? It is really frustrating having a connection which is so useless at night.
Perhaps it would be good to get somebody who's experienced with this type of fault.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, the fault is already being owned by one of our agents, I'm sure he'll get it sorted for you. Bear in mind please this is only the 4th day since you raised it to us.
The issue is going to be getting the issue found, and then getting an engineer out when the issue is apparent 😕 I'm sure the agent who is looking after the fault will get it sorted for you.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Should the Upstream SNRM vary this much?

I suggest it should not.  What I find interesting about this plot is the spikes.  This has all the hall marks of short duration induced noise - not dissimilar from my passing WCML trains, but somewhat less pronounced.
Are you anywhere near a railway line?  Does your line to the exchange pass close to an electrified rail line? If the answer is yes, then use this site [ http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/XYJ?stp=WVS&show=all&order=actual this link shows trains passing Weaver Junction in their actual order as opposed to the default of scheduled order] to find the times of trains passing some timing point near to you. You should then be able to see if those little spikes are close to the reported times - note that some might be a bit before or after the times due to trains travelling to / from that timing point to your location.  If you use the resources I pointed you to in my PM, you'll see ore clearly how this works.  Obviously if you are nowhere near such a rail line, then this is not your problem!
Do you have a correlating plot of the DS SNRM for the same time?  If not I suggest that you plot both at 10 second intervals at 720 plots per page (2 hours) and then we can compare the results.
REIN investigation is not a science, but more of an art!  Matt is right, this is going to be hard to locate and even when located, it might not be possible to eradicate.  BTOR know about my issues (as much as -7dB spikes due to passing trains), but seem unwilling to address the matter.  Therefore I have to make do with 6+dB SNRM with a 5 to 5.5mbs synch rate.  It is the penalty of living in a rural area.

wykehamhouse
Grafter

Edit: Please ignore. Correct engineer was sent.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Bear in mind please this is only the 4th day since you raised it to us.

Actually, it's the 7th (the first fault ticket was closed by mistake).
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Are you anywhere near a railway line?  Does your line to the exchange pass close to an electrified rail line? If the answer is yes, then use this site [ http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/XYJ?stp=WVS&show=all&order=actual this link shows trains passing Weaver Junction in their actual order as opposed to the default of scheduled order] to find the times of trains passing some timing point near to you. You should then be able to see if those little spikes are close to the reported times - note that some might be a bit before or after the times due to trains travelling to / from that timing point to your location.  If you use the resources I pointed you to in my PM, you'll see ore clearly how this works.  Obviously if you are nowhere near such a rail line, then this is not your problem!

In the village where the exchange is, there is a railway line, but it's 1K away from the exchange (the line never actually passes over the track nor parallel to it).