Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub2 Router basic question

FIXED
bathsheba
Dabbler

Hub2 Router basic question

Around a year ago I was on FTTC and received a Hub2 router as part of the changed package at the time (getting around 45-49 with 52 max).    I am now in the "middle" of an upgrade to FTTP 500 started around 2 weeks ago.    The existing/old router is now disconnected from dsl and connected to the ONT via a ethernet cable, so I am on fttp now, with a speed of 95/40.    (Openreach still have the job marked uncompleted - and therefore so do Plusnet).

The above is factual and verifiable by me.

Now we come to "why am I not getting 500?"  (the line shows no sign of training above its initial 95 and this is day 3).

I have had several conversations with Plusnet order support (one of which was forwarded to technical support) and Openreach.

I have been told the following 2 different things about the hub2 router by plusnet people, and want clarification.

(1)

There was an 'early' version of the Hub2 which can cope with fttp but only up to speeds around 150ish.

I need a new Hub2 router of the 'later' firmware(?) which can cope up to 1 gigabit and therefore will be able to give me the 500 ordered.   I do not have 500 because i do not have the latest version of Hub2.

end (1)

(2)

A Hub2 is a Hub2 is a Hub2.    There were/are no differences.   The router cannot be the reason I am not getting 500.  The only reason my fttp is not running at 500 is that Openreach have not marked the job as completed,

end (2)

My question here is simply about the Hub2.    Was there an 'early' version that is only good for 150ish ?   or is that plain incorrect?   Pretty please.

I might, or might not, be getting a new hub2 router, but need to know in advance of this friday's follow up visit from openreach whether there is a chance i may start to get that speed with/without the 'new' router.

I accepted Openreach's proffered date after being told that my new router was being dispatched Thursday night, later confirmed as at midnight, and so in the confidence it would be here before the engineer arrived.     I have subsequently found out that nothing was ordered, but that it now might or might not be depending on a technical support manager's view.

Would appreciate input on the Hub2 question.

Thanks & regards

8 REPLIES 8
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Hub2 Router basic question

Fix
I would hazard a guess at your ethernet cable not being capable of 500Mbps, it needs to be cat5e or better.
bathsheba
Dabbler

Ah ha !

On an uninformed guess and hope that cat6 might be as good as cat5e, I removed the cat5 cable and replaced with a cat6.

I am now getting 582/54.

Thank you

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Enjoy the speed!
bathsheba
Dabbler

Whoops typo...582/54  should have been  518/52.    Still marvellous after fttc.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Full Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

@bathsheba wrote:

On an uninformed guess and hope that cat6 might be as good as cat5e, I removed the cat5 cable and replaced with a cat6.

Cat5e would have been fine, Cat5 would not Smiley

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@bathsheba 

Cat5e cable has the same speed rating as Cat6. The difference is that the latter has higher capacity due to better shielding.

You also need to make sure the cable is Solid Copper Core (SCC) and not a cheaper alternative using a core of steel or aluminium (I think these are the alternatives) with a copper plating.

Brian

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Just to answer your original question on the Hub2, I trialed the Hub2 before its launch.  I can't remember what speed FTTP I had at that time, but I've now got FTTP 900, with the same Hub2, and can max out my line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.