cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 1

patti
Grafter

Hub 1

What is the 'life' of a Hub 1 router? Engineer advised asking for a new Router as I am still having drops in connection - they only last for a couple of mintes and only in the mid afternoon.. strange..

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

Re: Hub 1

@patti 

The life can be decades. This can be a standard excuse for intermittent faults, which cam be difficult to find.
When you have these drops do the lights on the hub change, if so, what are they doing?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

patti
Grafter

Hi Baldrick1,

Ah right, I was under the impression they have a certain life span.. when the connection drops the orange light flashes and then after a minute or two (at the moment) it goes back to blue and stays there. This has been happening for over 2 weeks now and 2 Engineers have been to look at it. It doesn't seem to happen at the weekend..  REIN has been mentioned.

Patti

Baldrick1

@patti 

So this is indicative of a line drop. There are many potential causes of this and it can be very difficult to find. If a Plusnet agent comes along it would be interesting to see a RADIUS chart, which would indicate whether Plusnet are also seeing the drops at their end. It 

Looking for REIN can be difficult but there are a few things that you can do. Are the drops happening at random times or is there a regular pattern? Try recording the time of day and think whether there is anything switching on or off in your property at the same time. Of course it could be outside of your property so the time could align with external factors.

Another potential cause is a poor connection. Do you have the latest type of BT Master Socket with a clip on front panel? These have a reputation for being unreliable, especially if the back box has been screwed  to an uneven surface. You can eliminate this by removing the front section and plugging  a filter in the Test socket that you will find in the fixed back part. Note that extensions should not work when in this mode.

It is of course worth trying a different hub,especially if Plusnet will send you one, it could be on its way out, they do fail.

Moderator and Customer

patti
Grafter

Hi Baldrick,

Engineers can't find the fault. It only seems to happen in the afternoon (having said that it dropped for about a minute yesterday morning at around 11:30 a.m) There does seem to be a pattern, always in the afternoon between 2 and 4 pm.. The Engineer changed the faceplate of the master socket. I have been keeping an eye on it every afternoon and have turned nothing on or changed anything in my premises at these times) strange one! The Engineer said he had the equipment to try and track down  a potential outside REIN problem. If it carries on I will ask for a further investigation I think.

I would be grateful if the team at Plusnet could generate a RADIUS chart for me.

Thank you for your help!

Patti

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 86

@patti 

It might be worth looking at the Hubs event log to see what it reports when the fault occurs

http://192.168.1.254 Navigate to Troubleshooting >Event Log (admin password is found on the card)

You should be able to copy/paste the text and add it to the reply window, try to capture text before and after the event

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

@patti - Hope this helps, http://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image16929773773789.png. Give us a shout if you need anything else.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

F.A.O. @James30 You have a ''.' at the end of that link - it will not work.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Baldrick1

Interesting that it’s quiet at the weekends. Are there any businesses nearby?

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@patti following on from my previous post.

If you have a windows pc which can left turned on and connected directly (wired) to the Hub One, then there is a monitor program which can be run to check the behaviour of the DSL connection.

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm 

If you want to give it a try it might highlight some line issues, it is recommended to change the sample  to as follows, this setting is found under the Config tab 

Screenshot 2023-08-17 114042.png

The program still runs when minimised and should be left viewing the Noise Margin tab when running.

The noise margin graph is the most useful, so capture an image which covers a failure time.

The monitor can be used to help identify if REIN is the cause of these disconnects.

HTH

patti
Grafter

Hi Baldrick,

Yes, I live over a row of shops. Yes, it doesn't happen at the weekends (so far).. most of the businesses are open every day. If it continues, then I will ask Plusnet to ask an Engineer to do a REIN check if possible.

Dan-the-Van,

I don't have a pc so I can't run the program.

Thanks for all your assistance so far. Much appreciated.

Patti