cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move x2

Mav
Fixes: 516

Re: House move x2

The 10 day period is now up (11:30) and I am syncing at 4,704.
Att: 46dB
S/n: 6.5dB
I'm still waiting for the two new BT MF50 filters to arrive but wondered whether, with the above, I should be on a 4000 profile?
Latest BT test (just before 19:30):
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 4704 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 171 kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.
Please wait whilst you are redirected to undertake a second test.

Is the poor throughput most likely to be due to testing during peak hours?
Speedtest.net records 3.20Mbps & mybroadbandspeed.co.uk records 3.074Mbps

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

PN are compiling info on the BT test - in the 21 cn trial, they have bad download speeds reported http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75560.0.html
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it only needs one sync below 4,544kbps for the IP profile to drop to 3,500 and it then takes 3 days or so to go back up again if you don't have any lower syncs. This is not related to the 10 day training period.
Mav

Have now replaced the D-Link splitter with a new BT MF50 between Router and master socket and added a new MF50 between telephone and extension lead. Rebooted and am now syncing at 4800.
I am a bit dissapointed that I am not getting a higher sync considering the Att of 46dB and the s/n of 6,5dB Sad
Latest BT test still shows profile of 3500 with throughput of just over 3000
Is there anything else I can do to improve things?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I agree with you Mav, that is disappointing. Can't help thinking what has changed since you first synced which was 1/2M better? (still below what might hopefully be acheived).
What happens to the noise margin if you switch off and unplug the DECT (handsets and base)? (Don't reboot).
Mav

My original sync speed was 5376kbps. and the first BT test I did:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 5376 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1819 kbps

I have now disconnected the DECT (no reboot) and, so far, small sync change to 4832, att 46 or s/n 6.
Thanks again for your time and support Smiley
Edit for a sync change

Mav

My s/n has just dropped to 4.5 - I seem to recall that's not a good sign.
Edit: I turned the router off for around 15 minutes and now it's syncing at 4,352 Sad
I really don't understand why I cannot sync any higher that this. I do have my mother's D-link router (around 12/18 months old). I think I'll see what happens with that.

Anotherone
Champion

Mav, not a good thing to do, (switching of router for) a resync when noise levels are below 6dB - you will always sync at a lower speed. Further more the exchange DLM may  think you have a problem and start upping your Target SNRM --argh! All I can say is carefully does it.
Now as I'm sure you know, noise levels typically get worse after dark. Did this drop to 4.5 occur instantly, or was it gradual?
Just FYI, things are quite noisy at the moment, I for example are struggling with noise averaging about 4.5 at the moment, and has had one drop to 4dB, haven't lost sync yet, but did last night, didn't notice until over 2hrs later, so I've lost my 6M profile to 5.5 for a few days. If it drops again, along with my DMT reboots to get the sync speed back up, I'm bothered my Target SNRM may go up, so I have everything crossed at the moment!
Can't recall, if DMT will work with this version of the Thomson Router, I think there's a thread somewhere, where it was got working and gave bits/tone info as well. That said I've just started playing with the latest version of RouterStats which may give some additional info, but got problems with run errors that don't occur with the previous version, so still investigating.
I suspect you won't see this until tomorrow, so if you are going to swap routers (you'll need to try it at some point) I'd switch off for a good couple of hours before you do a swap.
In the mean time have a serious think about what extra equipment or whatever may now be running, that wasn't when you first synced.
Also tonight, if that drop was near instantaneous, was anything switched on at that point. A nearby street light even?
Mav

Have tried to use the D-link 320B  without success. Several calls to PN support, etc. could not solve it. Basically, they could see I was connected but I had no access to the internet at all. Couldn't even ping bbc.co.uk. DNS, username, password, default gateway, etc,etc all ok.
I could see that the router had synced at 4768 with att of 47 dB and s/n 6.5. During the last call with CS I was told that the D-link (1-port) was unsuitable with users with an IP block!
Re-connected with Thomson and Att 46db s/n 6.5.
CS also told me that their database indicated that my line could only support 512K!!! Considering others with even longer lines and higher att sync well above 512 I found this hard to swallow and wondered whether it is an old database?
Embarrassed Yes, stupid of me to switch off router with such low S/n - won't try that again.
Can't be sure how the s/n dropped as I am not constantly looking at stats and only checked after having my dinner - but it was starting to get dark so maybe street lighting went on.
No extra equipment connected since my first sync except my wife's PC and the creative speakers - all previously connected at my previous address withput problem.
Never had these problems at my old address - used to chat to the engineers as they went to/from work lol. Been spoilt.
I think I'll just have to accept I'm not going to get anything better than what I am getting now  Cry

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Mav,
just had a re-read to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I wouldn't give up yet, I'd think we ought to find out why we're not getting the best out of this. We need to try and gets RouterStats running, see exactly what this noise is doing over time. In the mean time, whilst monitoring your stats, go round switching things off, anything and everything that might generate interference.
That'll include things connected to the computer, power supply units, etc. etc. Even try another monitor. I know you said you had no problems at your previous address but different wiring layouts etc. transit problems etc may all cause changes. Don't forget lighting, energy savers, fluorescents etc.
Mav

Thanks for the tips and I will defiinately follow this up.
It may be a few days before I get the chance as we have a lot to do before SWMBO departs to visit her family abroad on Wednesday.
RouterStats? Is this the right software?
Sometime between 20:00 & 21:20 the router resynced at 4544 and the s/n dropped to 5.5dB. As with previous times it does it while I'm having dinner  Huh But I think the street lights were already on by then. Not actually sure as I can't see any from this room!

Mav

Quote from: Anotherone
In the mean time, whilst monitoring your stats, go round switching things off, anything and everything that might generate interference.

Been thinking about this...
Surely, I would only need to concern myself with things local to the router (in the other room) which is close to a television (LCD), DVD & Video players and resting on top of the surround sound system's LFE unit rather than anything close to the PC?
The router is resting on the LFE in order to keep cable length from router to master socket at a minimum. I will look to move the router away from it's current position a little later. Once moved, should I reboot or just wait to see if sync increases over time?

Anotherone
Champion

Yes Mav, well anything close to the phoneline first perhaps. The router end would be the place to start, but interference/noise can come from any source and be coupled into a variety of cables, so work your way methodically through.
Yes, that is the right software for RouterStats, sorry forgot to answer that yesterday.
Mav

Not had time yet to check appliances, etc, by the router but I have been keeping an eye on the connection and at 18:18 it resynced to 4892 with att stil at 46dB and s/n at 6dB.
Then, at, 19:10 it resynced again but this time to 3776 Sad
What I did notice, though, is that, although the att stayed the same, the s/n rose to 11dB then fell to 10.5dB about 10 mins or so later. I would have thought with the slightly higher s/n my sync speed would have stayed higher - or have I still misunderstood how this works?
Edit: The s/n gradually reduced over a couple of hours to 8.5

Anotherone
Champion

Yes, I'm afraid the concept of the SNRmargin and Target SNRM, it's relation to sync speed and how it works is not an easy one. I'm going to refer you to a post by Barry Z to save me a lot of typing. Have a read of the first half and come back with any questions - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,68991.msg550778.html#msg550778
Essentially if the noise level on the line increases to a point where the signal is lost, a resync occurs. If the noise is still there sync will occur at a lower speed as the exchange tries to keep the Target SNRM. As the noise reduces you will see the current margin increase. From the information provided, you are picking up a lot of noise from somewhere and it's coming and going.
PS. I would expect the attenuation to remain unchanged, unless there is a major problem. A different modem may report a slightly different figure, none can be guaranteed 100% accurate, but some are better than others, I've also mentioned about a variation of +/- 1/2 dB.. Apart from reporting it as part of a block of stats, it's not worth mentioning unless it changes.