cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!

Bobby505
Grafter

Re: Help!

They are wired speeds and yup the attenuation is still blank! upstream attenuation has gone up to 39 though
James
Grafter

Ok.  That sounds either bad or wrong.
Any chance you could borrow a router/modem from a friend to test?
Also are you running from your master socket to your router?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Jameseh
.....The PN profile *starts* at 2Mbps until a delta report with an updated speed profile has been received by ourselves..........

Apologies, I think I thought that's what I was trying to say, but I was thinking that a delta report wasn't sent until the end of the training period, did I get that wrong?
James
Grafter

Yep.
I think BT quoted it as being an average 2-3 days for the first report.
Bobby505
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Ok.  That sounds either bad or wrong.
Any chance you could borrow a router/modem from a friend to test?
Also are you running from your master socket to your router?

Yep i'll borrow a router tomorrow, I have got 2 sockets in my flat, not sure which is the master socket as they both look identical, but I tried plugging the router into both today and there was no noticeable difference in speed...
thanks again
James
Grafter

If you unscrew the faceplate, there should be a test socket on the bottom right.  If it's the master socket that is.
[me=Jameseh]waits for someone to post a picture of a test socket[/me]
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Almost forgot. I think the attached are what you were asking for  Wink
Bobby505
Grafter

Hey guys, tried using my friend's thomson router, no difference to speeds...
Have also unscrewed both phone socket covers in my flat, but they both look identical to me and don't look like the master socket picture uploaded here. Here are some pictures of my 2 sockets:
Denzil
Grafter

Both of those appear to be extension sockets. Are you sure there isn't a master socket tucked away somewhere else? It looks like an extension wire comes from the master to the socket in the first pic, then goes to the socket in the second pic.
Can you get a look at your neighbour's flat to see what is in there, and where the router is plugged in?
paulrwselby
Dabbler

Hi Bobby,
Both of those sockets in your pics are masters (ie they have the components on) as opposed to slaves.
The BT master socket shown in the posts above is where the BT line into the property terminates and the other sockets should be wired from there and they should be slaves (no components on). It seems there is no obvious BT master socket.
If you can identify where (if there is one) the BT master is and that extension sockets in your pics are in fact connected to it you can cut off the three compnents on the two extension sockets. The components are, yellow capacitor, surge arrester and tiny resistor.
I suspect BT may have fitted the Master somewhere less than obvious and that the extension in your pic with the two cables on is connested to it with the other cable going to the remaining extension socket.
If you cannot find any trace of the BT Master socket try and follow the wires back to source from the extension socket with the two cables connected. Without knowing more about the property it is hard to diagnose further. You could try and see where the BT cables enter the property and also ask your friend if you can have a look at his sockets (no rudeness intended) as BT may have installed things similarly in the flats or at least used the same DP (distribution Post).
I hope that helps, please report back and if no joy I am sure we can think of something else to try.
Paul.
Lurker
Grafter

Denzil - Au-Contrare - both appear to be master sockets.
Note the 1.8µF capacitor used in master sockets to pass the ringing current to phones.
You can safely snip off the capacitor on the extension one (it shouldn't be there at all, it should have been installed with a secondary socket)
It appears to be a 'fashion' master socket with steel fascia rather than the more traditional BT Linebox or branded master socket, but that shouldn't be cause for problem.

EDIT: Should've typed quicker!
paulrwselby
Dabbler

@denzil
Sorry you beat me to it  Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: James_G
You can safely snip off the capacitor on the extension one (it shouldn't be there at all, it should have been installed with a secondary socket)

You need to snip off all 3 components in the extension socket - capacitor, Surge Arrestor and Resistor.
Lurker
Grafter

Nah - just the capacitor Wink
You can remove the others for completeness, but no need really. The SA does go between 2&5, but leaving it on won't make a difference. And the resistor is only on 3, so not used here anyway.
Down to personal prefs I guess. Grin
Lurker
Grafter

One thing I would say - IDC connectors are really only designed to have one wire in each, not two as illustrated in image 1.
Its the kind of thing that will work, but it might not be the 'cleanest' connection.
Preferable to solder a joint, leaving a single pair to drop into the IDC if possible.
Like I say, shouldn't cause a huge issue, but if you are trying to performance tune - might be a worthwhile step.