Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good mail marked as spam

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Good mail marked as spam

During the last couple of days a significant amount of my mail (genuine mail) has been marked as spam by PN, I have forwarded it to the not-spam address but the problem seems to continue. Is there likely to be any improvements made to the spam checker or is this as good as we are going to get.
Paul
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Good mail marked as spam

Spam filtering is not an exact art, some changes may improve things for some but make it worse for others and there is very little anyone can do.
PN do continually try to improve the spam filtering but the spammers are often many steps ahead. In trying to combat this you will get periods when genuine mail is marked until things are tweaked and PN need to know by you doing what you did.
All you can do is keep sending the emails in WITH HEADERS and hope that things improve.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I belong to a group based in Spain and get 95% of the messages into my PN email account.  Some don't get through although they originate from the same source.  They are returned to the sender with error 550. Why is this?
As a test I had some of the bounced messages sent to my gmail address and they arrived with no problem.
Where should bounced email and headers be sent fro you to investigate?
KevinHyland
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
Spam filtering is not an exact art, some changes may improve things for some but make it worse for others and there is very little anyone can do.
PN do continually try to improve the spam filtering but the spammers are often many steps ahead. In trying to combat this you will get periods when genuine mail is marked until things are tweaked and PN need to know by you doing what you did.
All you can do is keep sending the emails in WITH HEADERS and hope that things improve.

The addition of the long-awaited SPAM/NOTSPAM buttons on Squirrelmail would help, but sadly the wait goes on...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: artmo

I belong to a group based in Spain and get 95% of the messages into my PN email account.  Some don't get through although they originate from the same source.  They are returned to the sender with error 550. Why is this?

Does the 550 rejection contain a message about the email containing spam? If so, this is something we're aware of and an internal problem was raised last week to look into it (45299).
Quote from: KevinHyland
The addition of the long-awaited SPAM/NOTSPAM buttons on Squirrelmail would help, but sadly the wait goes on...

We're waiting on Network/QA resource to get the changes rolled out. This needs to be done server by server in a live environment so it's important we do it properly.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

KevinHyland
Grafter

Quote from: Bob

Quote from: KevinHyland

We're waiting on Network/QA resource to get the changes rolled out. This needs to be done server by server in a live environment so it's important we do it properly.

While we are aware of that, given the amount of upset, distress, inconvenience and indeed, in some cases, embarrassment/offence caused to your customers, it would be nice to see your Network/QA resources prioritised to implement this immediately.
We were promised this facility soon after the SPAM incident happened and yet we are still waiting.
Please can Plusnet prove it cares...
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Bob

Does the 550 rejection contain a message about the email containing spam? If so, this is something we're aware of and an internal problem was raised last week to look into it (45299).

No there isn't a message about spam.  I played around with one of the bounced email and it appears that the problem was an 'ebay' logo in the body of the message. Why should this be?
zubel
Community Veteran

No there isn't a message about spam.  I played around with one of the bounced email and it appears that the problem was an 'ebay' logo in the body of the message. Why should this be?

Perhaps the DSPAM filter was picking up an a recent flurry of phishing mails targetting ebay users?
The nature of spam filtering is that it is highly dynamic.  If a phishing mail targetting paypal or ebay starts circulating in high numbers, then these sorts of identifiers may cause legitimate emails to be flagged as spam.
Barry.