cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting 20% less than my lowest speed estimate

RadioFox
Grafter

Getting 20% less than my lowest speed estimate

I've had Plusnet for 2 weeks now. My speed esimate states "Estimated line speed:7Mb (This may vary between 6Mb and 8Mb)"
3 speed tests from different sites this morning show d/l u/l speeds of 4.65/0.74, 4.69/0.75, & 4.74/0.76.
This is 20% lower than the lowest estimate (6Mbps). Is there any way something could be tweaked to give me an extra 1Mbps? I knoiw it doesn't seem a lot, but when you are on a relatively low speed, that extra bit of increase means a lot when downloading large files.
I have attached the stats from the Plusnet & Sagemcom pages. The reason for the 1 day uptime is because I reset the modem yesterday morning to get it to sync at a higher rate (as suggested on the Plus net help pages). It did sync slightly higher, but not by much.
29 REPLIES 29
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Re: Getting 20% less than my lowest speed estimate

Hi RadioFox,
Welcome to the forums.
Your synch speed is just a little low for the reported attenuation.  Have you looked at the speed issues thread and followed the advice there?  Is the router plugged into the master socket?  Is the phone line noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2 with a corded phone plugged into the mater socket.
Are there any phone extensions?  How are they wired?  What kind of master socket do you have?
Can you check the "current speed" in the PlusNET portal - see connections.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hopefully, the changing of the socket/wiring will improve the sync rate for you. If not though, there are a few tweaks (SNR lowering) that can be done provide the line stability is OK. Should also this fail, we can arrange for an engineer for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
RadioFox
Grafter

Thanks both for your prompt replies.
I have a BT NTE5 phone socket. Here's what I've tried so far:-
Connected filter to test socket with just the router connected (no phones) - no change.
As above but with a different filter - no change.
As above but with a shorter modem to filter lead - no change.
Tried QLT. Sounded OK. No noises heard.
The current speed shown in "high speed broadband" page in "connection settings" is 5.2Mb.
Doesn't look like anything I can do at my end changes anything.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi RadioFox,
The PN "current speed" figure is a little slow for the synch spped reported in the first post, but things might have changed.
We need to see contemporary Router Stats, BT Wholesaled speed test further diagnostics and the current speed posted together please.
Is there an extension wire connected to the NTE5 lower faceplate?  If yes, what wires are connected where please?
Do not forget that the ESTIMATED line (synch) speed is just that - an estimate of line speed, not an assurance of DATA speed.  At best the line profile will only 88.2% of sync speed and actual data speed will be less than that.  That said your line is synch a little below expectations for the attenuation, but if there is aluminium in your line... all bets are off!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RadioFox
Grafter

I have attached the router stats, BTW speed & diag results & current speed from Plusnet site.
I do have 4 wires connected to the lower faceplate to an extension socket upstairs. The wires are orange, brown, green, blue (from top to bottom).
Although at the moment I am still connected to the test socket.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi RadioFox,
Looking at the current figures, your sync speed is right on the nail.  The BT Profile is also right on the nail.  The PN profile is .8Mbps slower than it should be.  If you have recently resync'd the router, it could take a few hours for the PN router to catch up.  For the present I would leave all well alone and avoid dropping the sync for as along as possible.

RadioFox
Grafter

It's been almost 2 days since my last post & nothing has changed regarding my download speed.
I am currently still connected to the test socket, but obviously I cannot leave it that way.
I tried entering my SNR, attenuation, sync rate into a couple of online checkers & they both say that I should be getting at least 1 Mbps faster than I currently get, even at 6dB SNR.
I have attached my current stats using the test socket, but will now have to reconnect the faceplate.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: RadioFox
I tried entering my SNR, attenuation, sync rate into a couple of online checkers & they both say that I should be getting at least 1 Mbps faster than I currently get, even at 6dB SNR.

RadioFox,
That is easy to say - would you care to point to those sites?
As I advised previously, your synch speed is around the right place for your attenuation.  Note that many synch speed estimators are based on ADSL(1) attenuation figures which are lower than the attenuation which would be seen by ADSL2+ services.  You might see a couple of 100kbps improvement with the wind behind you, but I reserve judgement on 1Mbps improvement.

ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Just to add my 2p.
I have an attenuation of 45 dB and my synch at the moment is 6880 kbps. the BT estimate for my number is between 1 and 3 Mbps Smiley
I am happy with that as it has meandered over the last 7.5 years between 6880 to 6240 with maybe a peak when I was on of the first to connect to the exchange of over 7000Kbps.
Ian

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Townman
Note that many synch speed estimators are based on ADSL(1) attenuation figures which are lower than the attenuation which would be seen by ADSL2+ services.  You might see a couple of 100kbps improvement with the wind behind you, but I reserve judgement on 1Mbps improvement.

ADSL_G.dmt.bis indicates ADSL2 not ADSL2+. ADSL1 and ADSL2 will report similar attenuation figures, ADSL2+ will tend to give a higher downstream attenuation figure.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Your profile at our side has recently increased by 800k. Your PPP session has also dropped since your last post, so the speeds should be a little closer to those that you were expecting.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
RadioFox
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Quote from: RadioFox

RadioFox,
That is easy to say - would you care to point to those sites?
As I advised previously, your synch speed is around the right place for your attenuation.  Note that many synch speed estimators are based on ADSL(1) attenuation figures which are lower than the attenuation which would be seen by ADSL2+ services.  You might see a couple of 100kbps improvement with the wind behind you, but I reserve judgement on 1Mbps improvement.

I may have misinterpreted the sites I looked at previously. They don't always make it clear as to whether they mean sync speed or "real world" download speed.
This was one of the sites I looked at:-
http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php  although I've just realised that it only gives figures for ADSL & ADSL2+ , but not for ADSL2.
...and this one:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
I'm confused as to why my "real world" download figures dont change with the sync speed figures. In my first post you said that my sync speed was low for the atten figures, but now (when it's in the test socket) it is on the nail. My actual download speed is still the same though, whatever the sync speed says.
RadioFox
Grafter

Quote from: ian007jen
Just to add my 2p.
I have an attenuation of 45 dB and my synch at the moment is 6880 kbps. the BT estimate for my number is between 1 and 3 Mbps Smiley
I am happy with that as it has meandered over the last 7.5 years between 6880 to 6240 with maybe a peak when I was on of the first to connect to the exchange of over 7000Kbps.
Ian

What kind of actual download speeds do you get with that atten figure?
http://www.speedtest.net/
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
RadioFox
Grafter

Quote from: plusnettony
Your profile at our side has recently increased by 800k. Your PPP session has also dropped since your last post, so the speeds should be a little closer to those that you were expecting.

My current BTW speed check shows Download = 4.74Mbps & Upload = 0.74Mbps. So still around the same speed.
Just to compare. When I was with BE broadband, I could download at 6Mbps (although that was on a 3dB SNR margin which was very stable). When I was migrated to Sky broadband I could download at 5.5 Mbps. I didn't save any router stats though, so cannot compare.