cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent Connection Drops and long connection times

jabu2oz

Re: Frequent Connection Drops and long connection times

I've been having the same problem - intermittent drops. It usually drops within the first 5 minutes of connection and then re-connects/drops frequently after that.
What should I test first?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The best test would be to eliminate your internal equipment/wiring. To do this, plug the ADSL equipment into the master socket and remove everything else from all the other phone sockets throughout your premises. If the disconnections stop, plug everything back in one item at a time and see if there is anything in particular causing the issue. If the disconnections continue then this is a fault with the line and should be reported to us via the fault checker at http://faults.plus.net
Hope that helps,
Million
Grafter

yup allready plugged to test socket, ive removed everything apart from modem from the line. Just waiting ona  new modem/router to see if its a modem prob.
Yesterday was fine, apart from between the hours of 5-9pm, where i get frequent drops, im asuming that this is due to the load on the network, as people are comming home from work and net usage will go up?
James
Grafter

It's possible.  Rather than being load on the Network it's actually a case of there being additional noise on your telephone line caused by the exchange being heavily used.
Let us know how you get on with the replacement router and if there's still issues, then we can raise a fault to BT for you.
Million
Grafter

Ive got a new router and that seems to have sorted it, not disconned once, so i recon u can close this now.
cheers
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Thanks for letting us know.
I've closed your open ticket.
Original_Design
Grafter

This thread/issue echoes a very interesting article in the new (Feb) issue of PC Pro. It's written by one of their staffers, Davey Winder, who has been having repeated dropping/disconnection problems on his Zen ADSL max BB service since the floods in S Yorks.
It's a 3 page piece that's quite complex, but in summary there appear to be issues with BT and certain types of routers/modems that use TI AR7 chipsets on ADSLmax services, where specific circumstances including weather, line noise, etc can cause repeated drops and slow speeds.
If BT come out and test, they use speedtouch (ie non AR7) equipment for the tests, the result being that it is classed as an internal/hardware fault and is chargeable.
I would hazard a guess this piece is required reading for all in CS and fault finding.
Alastair