Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firbre (FTTC) broadband much slower than it should be

FIXED
GlacialSpoon
Hooked

Firbre (FTTC) broadband much slower than it should be

I've noticed the line speed drop dramatically from over 50Mbps down to 19Mbps. I've tried all the usual tricks of restarting everything, testing using a wired connection to the router etc. etc. I so I believe it's a line issue. Nobody has got back to me after texting the HELP number to report a fault.

Please help. I would like to return to the minimum guaranteed speed noted as 55Mbps.

EDIT:

Having read some other posts I've now run the BTW test and attached the report which is MUCH WORSE than the speedtest.net result, reporting just 3.5Mbps!

I'm also using a NETGEAR Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800 on the latest firmware connected directly via ethernet to a PC.

Unfortunately we don't use our landline so I don't have a phone to do a quiet line test.

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Firbre (FTTC) broadband much slower than it should be

@GlacialSpoon  welcome to the forum 

Report a fault:

For a problem with your broadband,

Text HELP followed by your landline number to 07800008121.
e.g. HELP 01234567891
(charges may apply at your standard rate)

• We’ll run tests on your connection to find out what’s going on
  • If you need an engineer, we’ll text you in 15 mins to book a slot
  • If you don't need an engineer, our award-winning UK based support team will aim to call you within 30 mins to help sort the problem, though we're really busy at the moment, so this may be a little longer. 
  • Service available Mon-Sun: 8am to 8pm 
  • Outside of these hours please see our Help and Support guides, and if you’re still having trouble we’ll pick up your message when we’re open

If that doesn’t help then do come back and report.r

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I'm also using a NETGEAR Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800

That's just a router, what are you using as the modem ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GlacialSpoon
Hooked

With respect @Baldrick1, did you read the part where I said I had already texted that HELP number and nobody is getting back to me? This is why I am here.

@MisterW Modem is an openreach box:

ECI Telecom Ltd.

Description: NGA ECI-CPE-MODEMS TYPE 1B

ECI Model: B-FOCUS V-2FUb/r Rev.B

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, AFAIK its not possible to get line stats from that modem.

Have you tried using the Plusnet supplied modem/router , I'm assuming its a Hub one ?

At least we could see some line stats from that...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GlacialSpoon
Hooked

It's around here somewhere. I'll dig it out tonight, but I thought the supplied unit I have was just a router too. Will update when I find it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm, If you've had FTTC for a few years then I suppose its possible that it is a TG582 , which doesnt have a VDSL compatible modem. Post back when you've found it.

GlacialSpoon
Hooked

Hi @MisterW, turns out it was a Hub One. I rigged it up and found the attached screenshot of info. Is this what you need? Internet didn't seem to work at all through it though, even with the same settings I use on the Nighthawk, so I've reverted to the Nighthawk + Modem for now.

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Fix
That screenshot is showing a downstream rate at 79meg. Could it be possible that the BT modem is failling
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@GlacialSpoon  yes, that's the Info.

Your sync speeds are pretty good , downstream is almost at the max 80Mb. Not quite sure why the Hub 1 would give no Internet access and assuming the Eci modem is syncing at similar speeds, why your throughput is so bad.

Did the Hub light go blue ?

Did you have to enter your username or was it already there ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@GlacialSpoon  another thought ...

What does it say for 'Current line speed' iwhen you log in to the member centre ?

and do you have a static IP ?

GlacialSpoon
Hooked

By jove I think we've got it!

@Shep41, you're suggestion seems to be bang on. I've futzed around with the Hub One for a while and now I've got an internet access running again and it tests at a lovely 72Mbps down now. The old openreach box is clearly dying or something.

@MisterW , the current line speed noted at 55 to 66Mbps but it seems I'm actually able to outpace that now.

Thanks to both for taking a look.

Now to reconfigure my network... eurgh.

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

👍👍👍👍
We aim to please.🤣