Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband connection very slow + BT issues

janeybeans
Grafter

Fibre broadband connection very slow + BT issues

Hi,
We moved over to Fibre broadband with Plusnet as from 3rd August.  According to BT engineer who fitted the box we should be able to get speeds of around 39mb.  According to our package we should get about 28mb.
At the moment, according to various speed tests we're getting an average of between 7 and 10 mbps (at the moment though it's less than 2 which is what we were getting on our old BT broadband.
Now, I don't know whether this is going to cause an issue but I had an email this morning from BT saying 'welcome to BT' about our new broadband being ready to use (if I remember rightly today was the day that our contract was due to renew).  When we got our MAC code from BT (which has obviously been used to set up with Plusnet) they told us we didn't need to formally cancel, that using the MAC code would do that.  What I'm wondering is whether we're actually getting a conflict on our line because it appears that both BT and Plusnet are providing us with broadband (one fibre and one not).  Is this even possible and/or could it cause a problem?  I also had an email from BT saying that our phone line ceased today (even though THAT was transferred to Plusnet on the 17th of August).  *rse and elbow spring to mind!
Can't get hold of anyone at BT today (helpful) so will have to find out tomorrow.
Can anyone give me an ideas on whether a) this BT mess up could cause the problem and/or b) what I can do to fix the speed issue?  I tried going through the help thing on here but it wanted me to connect to the router with the ethernet cable, which I can't do because it's too far from the PC (we're using wireless at the mo).
Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fibre broadband connection very slow + BT issues

it could cause havoc - there was another thread on the same subject but I can't remember if it was here
One thing you could do in the meantime is run the BT speedtest and post the results
janeybeans
Grafter

See, the connection is not too bad this morning, currently getting 17mbps on the BT speed test (results below).  I think some of the problem will be due to wireless and distance from the router (just did a test on my android tablet in the same room as the router and was getting 24mbps) but don't know why it is so up and down, and to so slow (at one point yesterday I was getting less than 1mbps.
Going to try BT now...

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
17.93 Mbps

0 Mbps 30.85 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 17.93 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-30.85 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 30.85 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.86 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.86Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps
janeybeans
Grafter

Just spoken to BT on the live chat thingy.  Apparently my BT account is closed, and to ignore the email.  I'm not sure if that means the email was an error or he has just closed it when I flagged it up!   Huh  Apparently my BT account will 'look' active until I get the final bill around the 9th Sept.
houlton23
Grafter

Can you do a test connected via ethernet to the router please?
There may be lots of other wifi networks on the same channel or overlapping channels as you which is causing the degradation of speed over wifi
You can use a program called inSSIDer found here to see which networks are on which channels and then change your channel accordingly.
janeybeans
Grafter

This is the trouble I have.  Unless I disconnect and move the whole PC to the room where the router is, I can't do the ethernet test.  Obviously it's not impossible, just a faff so need to sort out when I've got a bit more time (i.e. when schools go back!).
I'll have a look at the network channel thing in the meantime though, thanks.  I know there are other wifi networks available as they come up when I scan (and annoyingly at a higher connection strength!).
janeybeans
Grafter

I've run the inSSIDer thing and there are 3 networks, including ours, all on different channels.  The one that's strongest (stronger than ours) could be right next door (nothing to identify any of them) and therefore may be technically closer to the PC than our router.
Don't know if this will mean anything but the three networks I can see:
Talk Talk (strongest) - channel 1+5 Max rate 270
Thomson - channel 6 Max rate 54
Plusnet (ours) - channel 11 Max rate 130
Huh
janeybeans
Grafter

Just by way of illustrating my point, the connection has dropped again, down to 11mbps.  I've not changed anything in that the PC and router are in same places, no one else in the house is using the wireless (or anything else).  Only difference is it's obviously later so maybe more people on the network in general but should it drop by 6mpbs because of that?

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
11.94 Mbps

0 Mbps 30.85 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 11.94 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-30.85 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 30.85 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.87 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.87Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps