cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up!

ivesy
Grafter

Re: Fed up!

Ok I've established it's a fault with the wireless side.
PN have sent me a replacement router.  I set it up yesterday and everything seemed ok....
Today however we have been unable to access the internet or if we do the speeds are comparable to dial up!
I've used just about every channel but I don't think this is the problem as the PC upstairs gets a full 5 bars for the signal. Just done a BT speedtest (rapidly becoming the most used page I use) and I get speeds of either 0.21mb or an error appears on the page.
So I've connected the laptop via ethernet and done a speed test I get about 70mb.  I change the channel again and do a speed test and get the same. I unplug the etehrnet cable and move a few feet from the router and get speeds ranging from 32mb to 12Mb or 4mb?
I'm upstairs now and I have five bars for the signal I've just done a speedtest and I get 28MB I'm running a one now in the background and I get......nothing just a message saying conecting to the service! Hang on it's now doing the test d/l 5.62 mbps and u/l 0.68mbps.
We never had this much trouble with the original router when we were on ADSL so how come now?  There's nothing on in the house that would interfere with the box so what is it?
Just done another one and got 7.16mbps and u/l 9.76mbps. then 0.12mbps and 4.42mbps u/l.

ivesy
Grafter

ringing p/n been on hold 40mins now.......
ivesy
Grafter

Ok, the speed of my connection when the ethernet cable is connected is always the speed i'd expect to get.
The problem is wireless speeds ranging from 0.1mb/s to 40mb/s.
I've tried all the channels but i have the same problem.
Typically if i cant get a page to display i connect the laptop directly to the router to change the channel. I change and everything connects and i get decent speeds again. This will last for a day or two then i have to the channel change again. The weird thing is when i connected the laptop the other day without changing any of the settings on the router  my wife said her phone was now able to display web pages?
Also when i have these problems i get a full strength signal on the devices that can't connect!
When i had adsl using a simliar router in the same place i never had this problem.
I have used programmes like inssider to see if there are any other devices interfering with my signal but it shows nothing.
I have nothing in the house that uses radio waves that might interfere.
As i say the signal strength seems fine, connecting by ethernet is great but the wireslless speed is beyond infuriating!!!
Does anyone have any ideas whats going on here?
picbits
Rising Star

Do you have a friend with a laptop who could pop over and see if they have the same problem ?
I've seen some laptops have issues with certain routers and also speed issues when they have outdated drivers installed.
ivesy
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
The laptop, the 2 phones, the nexus 7 and the PC upstairs all have the same problem even though the signal is fine the speed can be from non existant up to 40mb/s.
I'd be surprised if all these devices had their own problems relating to this problem.

The fibre speed to the routeris fine if i connect by ethernet.

As far as i can see the problem is getting a stable speed from the the router wireless. As i say messing on with the channels to get a stronger signal doesnt make any difference. For example today to get wireless working i switched both the openreach box and the router off for a few seconds then eventually during the course of the evening  the devices are able to load pages and get decent speeds.

picbits
Rising Star

Maybe not the answer you want but if I was in your shoes I'd blow £20 on one of these and see if it sorts out all the issues :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR840N-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B00ENM3RUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=compute...
I bought a couple of the 841N version in advance before I got connected with Plusnet and they worked quite nicely - the wireless was certainly a lot smoother for streaming than the supplied PN router.
Not an ideal solution but always handy to have a spare router just in case your main one goes down.
ivesy
Grafter

This is a typical day.
Get up in the morning and phones are unable to display a page when they are within metres of the router or when I'm further away.
Switch both routers off for a second and within seconds 'normal' services has resumed.
Go to bed get up and.....same again.  Does the fact the engineer fitted a new box for the telephone line make any difference?  There was some debate with him abbout where the main line was as the one I thought it was, wasn't apparentley .
In the past I've connected the PC direct to the router to see if it works. Everytime the other gadgets can't connect the wired way does??  The other day when I connected the ethernet cable to the router without changing any settings my wife shouted over that her phone suddenly started to display pages again.
This is, apart from the extra openreach box and new router the only thing that has changed since I had ADSL BB.  I never had this problem with that and right now I feel I'm extra for a hit and miss service which isn't reliable. 
I'm just going round in circles with PN as they are saying it's enviromental but how can it be when it happens in the morning there ar eno other wireless networks showing and the TV etc has been off all night???
chrcoluk
Grafter

wifi is just a very unreliable tech unfortunately.
interference, chipset issues, driver issues, incompatibility issues are just some examples of what can slow it down, and if wifi is finicky it can get very finicky, I have seen AC connections with no interference drop to almost 0 throughput due to software issues.
I don't know if you will ever get constant 70mbps on your wifi but if you can get it to reliable at 30mbps or higher it will probably be a reasonable expectation from it, wifi is for convenience, Ethernet is for performance.
ivesy
Grafter

I expect to get some sort of speed wireless all the time regardless of the speed.  I don't expect anything over 30MB wireless but speed tests on the BT site have shown 0.1mb/s!  That's not acceptable!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Ivesy,
You need some solid diagnostics here.  Search the Internet for inSSIDer V3 home - that's the last free version.  Install it on a PC and run it up.
It will show you what other wifi stations are operating in your area.  Your problem could be down to a neighbour who turns their overly powerful wifi on and off.  When its off you get good speeds and when it's down you get poor speeds.  This software will show you what other stations are active on each channel and their relative strengths.  You might see some stations vanish and return with a strong signal (a bit like a lighthouse 'flashing' its beam.  If you see this it could be impacting your wifi experience.
Look for a quite channel, choose one which avoids overlap with another.  Co residence is apparently better than overlapping.
Need more help, then just shout.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought ivesy had already said they'd used inssider and it showed nothing. Unless they live somewhere where there really are very few or no nearby networks, it's possible that the reason they can't see any other networks is the same reason for the trouble with their own wireless network. That reason could be that there's some nearby device, that doesn't use the 802.11 wireless protocols used by wireless routers, but that does operate on the same 2.4 GHz frequencies. The nearby device could be something like a video sender or some types of wireless security camera.
Another possible but less likely scenario for inssider showing nothing would be that there's some wireless device transmitting a lot that's closer to you than the base station (access point, wireless router) of the wireless network it's on. So that you are affected by transmissions from the device, but can't see its further away base station. Something like a media server streaming a lot of video over its wireless network. This would be detectable using Microsoft Network Monitor, but unfortunately that's a more complicated program.
The usual solution for 582n wireless problems is to replace it with a better router.
ivesy
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I have put the router on a channel that doesn't overlap withe neighbours routers.
First thing in the morning when typically i can't get the phones to display a web pag there are no other devices showing on issider!
pn gave me a replacement router but i have the same issues.
Could it be the openreach box? I've turnrd the tv off and phone when wcouldnt get pages to display.
Sorry for spelling doing this on phone and theres a delay when typing and seeing words display?Huh
I keep sending mesdaged to pn but they've stoppefresponding.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If you are always getting around 72Mbps on a wired connection, then there is NOTHING wrong with your fibre service - end of!  Therefore there is nothing which PN can address for you there.
Your problem is wifi related.  The TG572n routers are far from being the best wifi devices (they cost more than a few quid) but they are adequate for most environments.  They only work in the 2.4GHz band, as does a whole host of household appliances - AV senders, wireless door bells, wireless central heating controls, DECT phones, baby monitors... I've seen the question asked but not answered - do you have any such devices?  Do you have anything which has two or more parts not connected by wires?
If you do then turn them off / take the batteries out and see if that makes a difference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ivesy
Grafter

Sorry as far as I'm concerned I'm paying for a wired and wireless service.  If I knew before hand that I would not be able to connect to the internet wireless becasue the box Plusnet supply isn't capable then I wouldn't have signed up.  The only thing that 'could' cause intereference is the DECT phone but Ihave switched that off.
My gripe is I had no problems at all with connecting wireless using what looks like a very similair router to the one I have now when I had ADSL. 
Same provider, same box, same postion for router, same networks showing from neighbours, same DECT phone. No connection issues.
The change has been a new master socket provided by the company BT out source their work to and the openreach router.  Initially there were connection problems both wired and wireless but PN said that was a fault with BT.  This appears to have been fixed as I was put on a 'virtual' network nduringthis period.  I was also told I would be 'compensated' for this but I never was.
Maybe 10 years ago it was acceptable to have just a wired broadband service but let's be honest most devices connect wireless now so this is to the likes of me the most important reason to have broadband.
You can't advertise a service that you are unable to use because the router isn't very good.  As I keep saying nothing 'enviromentally' has changed since I had ADSL and that worked fine.
Has the box been installed correctly in the first place? Has the problem I had at the begining done something? I don't know.  I don't see why I should have to shell out for a router when I don't think that would make any difference or am I wrong? 
Sorry for the rant but this isn't on (literally!)
ivesy
Grafter

Is it worth me getting a BT home hub? Would that mean I wouldn't require two boxes?