Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC speed issues since power cut

rs3100
Dabbler

FTTC speed issues since power cut

Hi everyone,
Just after a bit of advice really. I've been with Plusnet on Unlimited FTTC since July, ans until last Sunday had a rock steady connection with an IP Profile of 77.44 Mbps, pretty steady download speeds around 73-74 Mbps and a latency of 6 ms  Smiley
On Sunday evening, our whole village it now appears suffered a 1 second power interruption and my internet connection went down at that time. My PC and router are on a UPS, and the OR modem on a surge protected supply. After the interruption, the OR modem wouldn't reconnect with the DSL light just flashing continuously.
I reported the fault to PlusNet on Sunday evening and started a ticket, with up to 72 hours response promised whilst awaiting line checks etc. After I got home from work on Monday afternoon, I noticed that the OR modem had reconnected, but the IP profile was shown as 59.43 Mbps, download speed reduced to 57 Mbps and latency now at 20 ms (stats all taken from the BTW Performance Test). I updated the ticket to say that the line was back up but asking if I could get the previous speed reset, but am still awaiting a reply.
From what I've read since, I assumed that DLM had kicked in and I probably just need to wait for my speed to be restored. However, this evening, although the IP Profile is still at 59.43 Mbps, my download speed has dropped to around 16 Mbps max, and been as low as 3Mbps on some speed tests.
Obviously I can raise this as a fault, but I don't want to confuse any issues by adding another query to my ticket or opening another until I get a reply to the original question.
In the meantime, I'm just wondering whether I should try rebooting the modem to force a resync and see what happens, or just leave well alone?
I've read other recent posts about lowered IP profiles where contention on the exchange had caused the reductions, but the BT Availability Checker is still estimating up to 72.3 Mbps for my line. Seems to me though that something happened on the BT side of the network during the power interruption and although it was repaired the following day, something perhaps hasn't been fixed right?
Just frustrated really, as I'm now getting worse performance than I had on ADSL Max.
Edit @ 2205hrs - BTW Tester now shows my best effort down speed as 9.49 Mbps and suggests I might like to ask my BB provider to investigate. Don't want to open another ticket as I'm still waiting for a response to the question raised on 20/10.
3 REPLIES 3
Iain03
Grafter

Re: FTTC speed issues since power cut

Hi  rs31000
I had a problem similar to yourself have a look at this forum link                                                                                                http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118654.msg1028440.html#msg1028440
it could be something like that(an anomaly on the configuration of your circuit on our network layer)
not the phone number bit, I hope this might be off help.
Iain
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi rs3100,
I've taken a look over your line and it seems the DLM has modified your profile: 30M-60M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 10M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On and your line is currently syncing at 60Mb/s.
We'll need an engineer to reset the DLM, we'll pick your fault ticket up and get this actioned.
rs3100
Dabbler

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.