Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodgy connection

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Dodgy connection

@Fat_Leonard 

Have you considered FTTP at all? In genereal it is far more reliable that FTTC and speeds are near those advertised.

I appreaciate that, given your location and lack of a decent mobile signal, the loss of your landline would be troublesome, especially during power cuts.

However, as things stand, PSTN is being withdrawn by the end of 2025. Whatever solution they come up with for battery backup will be short term - an hour or two at most. Almost certainly you'd be able to do far better providing your own.

Brian

Fat_Leonard
Grafter

Thank you. Of course, the fault's repaired itself again over the weekend! I don't know what an engineer can do if it's not playing up when they're here, unless they trog down the whole cable into town. It's certainly something on the line since the telephone was affected, but all the previous chap's tests checked out even when he ran a test that ought to have made a fault manifest itself.

bmc - the previous times we've looked, the cost per month for fibre was at least double the ADSL, and it just wasn't worth it. We saved hundreds of pounds a year moving from BT to Plusnet, mainly for the unlimited landline calls and 2000 minutes to mobiles, as we use the landline a lot. I didn't know about the PSTN switch off. As someone who has scythes, no 'smart' objects and a 50 year old car that can be repaired with some spanners, I'm not too keen on the idea of always-on-digital as progress. Seems like a service downgrade to me. At least at the moment we get an analogue On, Slow, Broken rather than just On or Broken.

20-06-22-17-33.PNG

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Ah intermittent faults are the worst! 

Yeah I agree with you that an engineer would likely have a hard time getting to the bottom of the issue when things are working. Keep an eye on it and let me know if it does break or slow down again. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Fat_Leonard 

Here's some info on PSTN - https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

It's important to note the coper line from your Cabinet to your house will not be removed. When PSTN goes phone and internet will be offered via a digital product over copper.

The problems lie with services that require a phone line (alarm & care systems for example) and no power (therefore no phone service) during power cuts. Answers will be found / solutions provided as time rolls on.

Brian