cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices slow when using more than one

Threap

Devices slow when using more than one

Hi all

Any advice on why when streaming my tv and using my phone one drops out or goes slow? It seems that when using more than one device the system goes really slow or freezes, I have the modem plus net sent me but it’s now really annoying when using more than one device in the house

Any help would be great
10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Devices slow when using more than one

@Threap Which Hub is it?  Even the original Hub0 first supplied when PN went FTTC could handle more than two concurrent devices.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Threap   Welcome to the forum.

You will have finite broadband bandwidth, which you can only use once.

Firstly are you on ADSL or fibre, which hub have you got, are you using wireless or connecting over an Ethernet cable?

Next, what speed is reported if you do a speed test and what speed should you be getting? Put your phone number in here to find out https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL?

Finally, are you streaming in standard or high definition video.

This will give us something to work from.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

I'll leave this to you, @Baldrick1  - I'm out for most of the day.

John
greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FYI.

When Threap says 'phone'...

I'm currently working with a problem here. The other 'alf has a smartphone with various apps. When the apps are in use, at least one of the apps monopolises the upstream bandwidth (ADSL2+ ~3.5Mbps down, ~0.7Mbps up). Sometimes totally. The phone based web browser doesn't appear to be causing a problem

Consequently even simple stuff like a 32 byte ping to a helpful server on the internet (my 'test' for when things are about to go pear-shaped) will have an end-to-end timing of somehere in the reqion of, say 400ms up to 3500ms (baseline ~25ms) or even disappear/timeout. Other devices on the local LAN can't even get (timely) replies to a bunch of DNS requests. So stuff hangs/becomes unresponsive/don't work.

'Sharing' is currently implemented on a manual basis. If other things need the internet and the mobile is hogging, the mobile (connected by WiFi) has a block put on it at the modem/hub/router. Until I/someone finds out why these apps are acting in such a manner.

Just an observation of what happens elsewhere in PN world.

greygit
Rising Star

Attached an example BT speed test when a locally wifi connected device is hogging the upstream bandwidth. The speed test was done from a wired connection.

The 'ping' momentarily displayed a mid-hundred ms, until the zero was (possibly) decided because of timeouts.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@greygit from what I can establish @Threap is using a Hub One and their service is provisioned on FTTC, not ADSL.

Their circumstances are therefore completely different to yours.

@Threap - would suggest following the advice from @Baldrick1 as an initial step. You definitely shouldn't be experiencing problems based on the description you've provided.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

greygit
Rising Star

At least you have an example screenshot of such a test.

Threap

Hi baldrick

I’m on unlimited fibre using hub 1, all devices are WiFi nothing connected to
The modem itself, I’ve tested the speed and should be getting up to 36 mps, I watch some hd on sky go but normal
Def on phone iPad etc, when watching sky go and then using phone sky go will stop working or go pixilated until I stop using my phone
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Threap wrote:

I’ve tested the speed and should be getting up to 36 mps

So you get 36Mb/s download speed,  but what upload throughput do you get on a speed test ? - because slow internet performance is often a symptom of a congested upload path rather than being limited by the download bandwidth.

@Threap wrote:

when watching sky go and then using phone sky go will stop working or go pixilated until I stop using my phone

What are you doing on the phone when this happens ?, are you doing video chats or other upload heavy apps ?

@Threap wrote:

I’m on unlimited fibre using hub 1, all devices are WiFi

This *could* be a WiFi congestion problem.

Have you considered using different SSIDs for each of the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless bands on the Hub-1,  and then perhaps only using the 5GHz band for the streaming Sky on the TV, and correspondingly only using the 2.4Ghz band for your phone ?  (or the other way around) and that way your phone and TV won't be sharing the same WiFi bandwidth.

See this YouTube video on how to change the Plusnet Hub-1 WiFi SSIDs for each frequency band - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8CDfkR4wZU 

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hiya @Threap

I'm really sorry this is happening and I can imagine the frustrations this is causing. I just want to check, is it just the phone and IPADS having issues when using the sky go apps? or does it happen with other video streaming platforms such as YouTube? 

Can you also advise if the TV is connected by wireless or Ethernet? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team