Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declining ADSL Speed

FIXED
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Declining ADSL Speed

OK Gandalf, the router has now reconnected at 6 dB SNRM. I will have to try and remember the reason for the fixed IP. 😊

Thanks.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Oh no, this has reverted! Following a disconnection, for unknown reasons, early this morning:

Dec 14 05:33:47 xDSL linestate down

Down speed: 13775 kbps Down SNRM: 9.1 dB

Still nothing obviously wrong with the line.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @pvmb

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems with your connection. You're right, everything does seem fine on our end, I'm also seeing downstream speeds of 13.75Mbps.

Can I ask, are you switching off your router at night? This does nothing good to the line, and in fact causes problems with your DLM profile, SNR and therefore your download speed.

If you are, please avoid doing this going forward.:)

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

I think this "router off overnight" business is a distraction.

The router speed will not change once it has connected - it requires a disconnection and reconnection to do that - it is shown on your chart as having been on continually for "23 days" at the normal speed.

After that, the overnight reboots were me either testing or trying to get it to sync again at the original 6 dB profile the next morning. I then asked for help here, banding was removed and, following a reconnection it continued as 'normal' at 6 dB download.

Then, following a break in connection on Dec 14 @ 05:33 of unknown origin, this is seen on the chart, it reconnected once again at the lower speed 9 dB SNRM. The same situation as before the problem started. It won't now change speed, whatever happens, unless there is a new reconnection.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @pvmb

I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any causes for the increase in SNRM and drop in speed. Apologies for the drop you've had just now, and if you were in the middle of anything, that would've been me testing your line. 

As your speed's within the estimated speed range for your line of between 7.5mbps to 12mbps, not sure there's much we can do in the way of an investigation as it's unlikely an engineer would be able to investigate further.

Do you know that fibre's available in your area? It may be worth looking at upgrading as you can get 70.5mbps to 80mbps on our fibre extra package, or up to 40mbps on our basic fibre package. It may be worth calling our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 if you're interested as it may not necessarily be (much) more expensive. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Anoush, but I think I'd prefer to wait for FTTP (long wait!) rather than FTTC. It's not that I really need very high speed, I just like whatever I have to work as well as it can (once did). I reckon, although the speed would obviously be higher, that FTTC would suffer similar issues over time, for similar reasons.

The whole environment is slowly degrading - Over recent years I have seen growing problems over the whole RF spectrum, even completely outside broadband useage: Band II VHF/FM, Band III DAB, Band IV DTV.

As for AM Medium wave. 😲 (Obviously I don't use it for radio reception as such - but I couldn't even if I wanted to!)

One interesting aside: Does the frequency ~1.66 MHz (Tone number: ~385) mean anything to anybody here?
(Was the IF frequency of old dual conversion communication receivers?)

Looking at the bitloading map in DSLstats, it appears likely a very strong, wide signal around this frequently may be behind the recent drop in my BB performance. The signal is strong during the daytime and seems to reduce later at night. I can't trace it as it is high enough to be outside the range of AM tuners.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

1.66 MHz FM on my wide band scanner is just noise.

1.66 MHz AM quieter noise.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine