cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping

AndyMull26

Connection keeps dropping

Hi,

My connection is constantly dropping and has been for the last few days, see attached event log from the last few hours alone!

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Connection keeps dropping

It is not constantly dropping, one today anf a few on the 12th and 13th.

It would have shown a lot better had you applied the WAN filter on the router log.

Have you done any basic fault finding? Is the phone line quiet?

Are you having issues with WiFi connected devices, or via ethernet?

What lights show on the router when you have problems?

See the Help section for more details.

AndyMull26

Hi Mustrum,

if it is not constantly dropping why is my internet so intermittent?

It literally drops for a couple of minutes very often, this is enough to stop the likes of Netflix streaming and kick me out of online gaming sessions.

i know that at 05:45 there was no connection at all as my ring alarm was offline when i was leaving for the gym.

the issues are both WIFI and via a ethernet where my PC, Ring alarm and CCTV are connected.

why has there been so much disruption trying to stream on TVs or game if not due to dropping connections?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Why not step back, think about the questions I asked and answer them, then we might get some basic information to help diagnose your issues.

If you prefer here are some basucs asked on another forum that will help to identify your issues:

Is it the BB as a whole dropping or just the WiFi connections? Do Ethernet connected devices stay working? What colours are the light sequence when it happens?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• Log into the router, go to the advanced section, and post the results from the Help Desk Tab

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

Hi @AndyMull26 has the issue settled down now?

A@Mustrum says you have had a couple broadband disconnections but the disconnects you are seeing are devices on your home network which are dropping.

From what I can work out you have a Hub Two. I see you have a wifi access point SkyBooster4, so you will have devices connected to both your plusnet Hub and the SkyBooster device connecting wirelessly.

I have noticed that one device 192.168.1.158 is setting up UPnP portforwarding rule multiple times, it should not do this. This device has a wired connection to the Hub, the mac address ec:71:db:28:38:9c this indicates a Reolink device.

A suggestion would be to turn everything Off, then in this order turn On : -

Hub Two waiting for the light to go Blue, Sky Booster, Reolink device, then everything else.

HTH

Dan.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi Andy,

I'm really sorry to see you've been having a lot of connection issues. 

I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues plus it looks like things have been stable for the last 3 days.

Are you still having issues? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet