cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping

Xotashaa

Connection keeps dropping

My connection keeps dropping and my hub has been flashing orange at regular intervals the last day and a bit. I’ve done all the usual checks and re start. Is the next step raising a fault?
5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Connection keeps dropping

Welcome to the forums, @Xotashaa . I am guessing you are on FTTC rather than ADSL, but yes, the next thing to do if you want PN Help Team/Tech Support to investigate is to run through the Troubleshooting topic outlined in the Help & Support guide, which should link you to the fault reporter.

However,

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection please report the 'Additional Diagnostics', and sight of the Help Desk tab would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of you phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @Xotashaa

Thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems with your connection. Bit of an odd one here, in that I can see the disconnections on my side (I'll pop a visual radius below), but there aren't any underlying faults with the network (apparently).

Your broadband profile had been artificially banded by Openreach though, which on ADSL lines, can cause issues similar to these. I've now raised a request to ave it unbanded, which should take a couple of hours.

Let us know how you get on in a few days and we'll be happy to follow up.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Xotashaa

It is most unusual and frustrating. Thanks mate will keep a watch and see if the dis connects keep up.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Yeah I can imagine @Xotashaa Sad

I do a lot of streaming personally so can empathise on how frustrating it is when the line cuts out. Let us know if things haven't improved and we'll follow up Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hello @Xotashaa 

A warm welcome to the forums.

That radius plot is ugly and notably variable day to day, couple that with no fault found when tested could point to an intermittent line fault, often experienced during wet weather.  I would recommend keeping a constant watch on this.  What standard diagnostic tests have you performed?  See the links below.

Also do the Quiet Line Test (QLT) regular, especially at anytime you experience a disconnect.  Bad joints can cause no end of issues, especially given that the act of testing the line or making / receiving a call can be enough to dry out a damp joint thereby abating the issue for a while.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.