cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection issues over the last few days

monstermunch

Connection issues over the last few days

Hi all, hope someone can help.
I joined plusnet on the 10th of February this year, roughly 2 weeks ago. I signed up for the 80GB a month package since I play a lot of online games, including downloading games through steam. The first 10 days or so was great, I was getting around 3 Mbit/s download speeds (which is what my line is estimated to get) with no disconnects and low ping in world of warcraft so I was satisfied with that. Over the last 3 or 4 days it's been much slower, I'm getting around 1 Mbit/s download speeds and my pings are quite a bit higher. I've tried pinging google.co.uk and I'm seeing a lot of packet loss.
>ping google.co.uk
Pinging google.co.uk [209.85.227.103] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 209.85.227.103: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=54
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 209.85.227.103: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=54
Ping statistics for 209.85.227.103:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 53ms, Maximum = 98ms, Average = 75ms

The details on my router are as follows
2 REPLIES 2
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Connection issues over the last few days

Can you run a BT speed test and post the results on here....
monstermunch

Re: Connection issues over the last few days

Speedtester isn't working for me.
Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number:***********. Please check that it is the correct telephone number for your service. Did you follow all the instructions given on the website, before initiating the speed test. If not, then please follow all the instructions carefully and try to run the test again.If you believe it is the correct number for your service and you have followed all the instructions then please ask your Service Provider whether you can use Performance Tester to test your Broadband speed. If yes, then ask him for the Service ID of your broadband connection and try again with this Service ID along with your Telephone Number. If this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

I think it might be to do with me getting the telephone number changed by BT a few days after my broadband was connected, it didn't seem to affect my broadband at the time.
With the test on http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ I get 1450 kbps down and 372 up. But I was getting much higher speeds the first 2 weeks of the service.
In the plusnet members center it says "Current line speed: 1500" which obviously matches the speed I'm getting at the moment. I can live with the low speed, it's the lag spikes and packet loss in games I need to get sorted out.