Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection drops + Strange Attenuation

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Connection drops + Strange Attenuation

Hi A fox is evil,
I'm working from home today. I just tested the line and it's banded so your maximum sync rate is 4454 at the moment. If your line seems steady in the test socket I could look at having that lifted but if it were to re-apply while in the test socket then we'd have to follow the fault through. That said if it did go well in the test socket I wouldn't advise moving it from there unless you'd had your wiring checked. It's all speculation at the moment of course, but I can go for it if you like?
Jojo Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's all a bit of a mess really. Cheesy
I have one of those i-plate affairs - so that's bypassed....
I discovered that I had my phone connected via a double (back to back) pair of filters, one of which appears to cause prevention of DSL synchronisation.
In addition, the phone socket has a double connector to allow the connection of two phones... Sad
So please remove the banded profile and I will leave my connection in the test socket for the time being.
I will then gradually put the more sensible bits back together.
Thanks for your help.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

ok, I'll have to contact someone to get that done but I'll come back to you when i get confirmation that it's been done.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi A Fox is Evil,
Sorry it took a while to get done. the banding has now been lifted. However, the sync is still only 5144 and attenuation now 33dB I would've expected a better sync than that. Maybe you can try a reboot trhough the router interface and see if you pick up a better sync.
Jojo Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

Thanks for all your help.
In the past, going into the BT socket (rather than test socket) was extra attenuation of a couple of dB - but speed about 1Mbps greater.
Tomorrow (in the daytime) I will move the connection back to the external connection and hope BT don't hit my profile in a bad way.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi A fox is evil,
I wish you luck with that as the internal wiring/faceplate could well have been the reason you were banded in the first place.
Jojo Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Joanne
I wish you luck with that as the internal wiring/faceplate could well have been the reason you were banded in the first place.

Oh!
You are so right!!!! Cry Cry Cry
One Phone+Filter+ADSL in test socket :-
Download=5144Kbps, Attenuation Down=33.5dB, NoiseMargin Down=6.25dB @ midday

One Phone+Filter+ADSL+i-plate in BT socket + one phone/filter on wired extension gives:-
Download=3840Kbps, Attenuation Down=18dB, NoiseMargin Down=4.90dB @ 12:30pm

What's the next step?

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI A fox is evil.
Either leave it in the test socket or get wiring checked. I did see someone mention about plugging your faceplate into the filter that's into the test socket as a way of getting your extensions going but I'm not sure how practical that is or whether there would be any adverse effects.
Jojo Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: A
One Phone+Filter+ADSL in test socket :-
Download=5144Kbps, Attenuation Down=33.5dB, NoiseMargin Down=6.25dB @ midday

One Phone+Filter+ADSL+i-plate in BT socket + one phone/filter on wired extension gives:-
Download=3840Kbps, Attenuation Down=18dB, NoiseMargin Down=4.90dB @ 12:30pm

You are always right. Cheesy
I moved back to the test socket and got:-
4872Kbps Download, 33.0dB attenuation and 6.10dB Noise Margin.
Since it would cause endless problems/expense to get BT/Plusnet/someone to fix things (and I have realised my phones are DECT, so I'm not even using my extension wiring!!!), I'm going to follow your advice.
i.e. run from the test socket!
We are supposedly getting FTTC in about 4 months - perhaps I could try that in due course?
Thanks for your help JoJo.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI A fox is evil,
when your exchange is fibre enabled give us a shout and we'll see if we can get you on it.
Jojo Smiley
rachgain
Grafter

Hey you two
Doesn't this sound somewhat similar, I have Panasonic DECTs on one leg of a double socket and a wired phone on the other leg. Both are plugged into the microfilter and the Thomson Router into the microfilter ADSL and then into the test socket.
No problems at all for last 10 days.
Putting it back through either of the two (new) faceplates gave problems of intermittent breaks and noise, so Jojo's answer was move the bookcase if you don't like the look of the microfilter!
As it was BT that fitted the NTE5 box in the first place....boo hiss BT...
cheaper to leave it alone and move the bookcase. but other forums report problems with Panasonic DECT phones, mine are Panasonics.
Thanks Jojo.
Cal
VileReynard
Hero

It does! It does!
I had (originally) a new Panasonic base station and a wired phone on one leg of a double socket etc Cheesy
However, I have unplugged the wired phone, just leaving the DECT phone (thinking two phones + ADSL) might be too much load - makes no difference.
I cured it by a move to the test socket.
I uncured it by moving to front socket.
I re-cured it by a move to the test socket. Roll_eyes
Differences:-
Router is Netgear.
No noise on the phones (quiet line test 17070, option 2)