cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to gateway but not dns server

mushroommrs
Grafter

Re: Connected to gateway but not dns server

Thanks for that.  Fuel don't supply fibre here. Wouldn't touch SSE with a bargepole  Grin I Did find Directsave but I've not heard of them, prices about the same as Plusnet. TalkTalk much the same as plusnet too. By the time you factor in the activation fee that some charge they are all much the same price although EE offer to pay the contract buy out fees!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: mushroommrs
........... although EE offer to pay the contract buy out fees!

Do they indeed, have to investigate that in more depth, could be a handy bargaining tool Wink
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

https://broadband.ee.co.uk/switchbroadband
We'll offer you up to £100 contract buy-out for any broadband termination costs BT may charge
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mushroommrs
Grafter

Not just BT!!  Grin
aesmith
Pro

They only make that suggestion on their "How to Switch" section when you select BT.  It's not mentioned for the other named ISPs, nor for "Other"
aesmith
Pro

Oops, found it elsewhere, after punching in the number and checking availability, there's a generic reference ..
http://buyout.ee.co.uk/?WT.mc_id=OFF_EE_V_buyout&WT.tsrc=Vanity
However their offering doesn't look that attractive, so not sure what benefit it would have over PN.
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Well if everything is running OK, those blips might remain a bit of a mystery unless someone has some very bright idea about possibilities.

Possibilities though probably not very bright Smiley  Aquarium thermostat -mechanical  and via a transformer  and underfloor heating thermostat - wifi? - probably both discounted if power was off.
or how about one of those power meters. I have one made by HMMM  so perhaps it does. The receiver is mains powered but the sender presumably
wifi is battery powered. Odd thing  to me is that the time between blips alters, perhaps a close inspection of when the blips change from say 7 minutes to
20 minutes owhy  may reveal a clue.  Is it there all the time day and night?
mushroommrs
Grafter

Yes its there all the time. Have had a double blip last couple of evenings at either 8.30 or 9.00 pm but RSL wasn't running tonight so don't know if it has kept up.  I have had a good look round as I am on my own this evening so it didn't matter what I turned on or off. Thought I might have found the problem in the form of an Owl meter which has one section hooked to the electricity cable going to the meter. Sadly it made no difference. That is the only thing that hasn't been turned off by the mains at some time with the exception of the modem and the samknows router.
Maybe when the new fibre is installed it will stop and we can blame the Technicolor router  Grin  Grin
Anotherone
Champion

It won't be the technicolor Wink  Now what's this owl meter? Is this something to do with smart metering? I thought owls only came out at night Lips_are_sealed
mushroommrs
Grafter

The owl is a wireless gadget that tells you how much electricity you are using at any one time. Very handy if you have large bills - it allows you to tell the kids off more often  Grin
Not that we have any at home anymore  Cry 
Anotherone
Champion

Is one part of it battery operated? Did you take the batteries out?
mushroommrs
Grafter

Daft bat didn't think of that  Grin  But it hasn't made any difference taking the batteries out.....................
Anotherone
Champion

You switched off the other bit as well or took the batteries out if both bits are battery operated Wink
mushroommrs
Grafter

It's in 2 pieces. One attaches to the electric cable that goes to the meter, this sends a wireless signal to the other piece which runs on batteries. Neither piece was operating (and still isn't). No change in the blips though. 
Anotherone
Champion

The part at the meter end,  does it clip around the cable and is readily removable?